How many passes could Roy Williams possibly field next week?

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
This is a burning question in the back of my mind.

I've been wanting to see this trade since the rumors first surfaced well before the draft. Now that it has materialized, I am anxious to see him get the ball. But not at the expense of robbing him of his precious learning curve. Which could potentially prevent the team from executing well.

So I guess my question is: "How much is too much for a proven WR who should be able to hit the ground running?"

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
IDK the play book he needs a good grasp of it. I expect see Crayton still stat and him be either the #3 or #4....hopefully he gets 4-6 ball tossed his way in that roll.

America's Team

Florida Cowboy
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2342331 said:
IDK the play book he needs a good grasp of it. I expect see Crayton still stat and him be either the #3 or #4....hopefully he gets 4-6 ball tossed his way in that roll.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. He still needs to learn the playbook. assuming he flys in today, he should be able to practice tommorrow, and just study the playbook from then untill gameday.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I thought about this, and RW doesn't have to learn the entire playbook before we throw to him, .. just 3-5 plays.

The defense doesn't have to know which 3-5 he will be running, or that he only knows that few plays.

I almost expect St. Louis to take the same approach as other teams recently by doubling T.O. with pressure at the line and a safety over the top until we prove we can beat that.

There will be some transition time before RW competely fills his new role, .. that's not to say he may not enjoy some success this week too.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;2342589 said:
I thought about this, and RW doesn't have to learn the entire playbook before we throw to him, .. just 3-5 plays.

The defense doesn't have to know which 3-5 he will be running, or that he only knows that few plays.

I almost expect St. Louis to take the same approach as other teams recently by doubling T.O. with pressure at the line and a safety over the top until we prove we can beat that.

There will be some transition time before RW competely fills his new role, .. that's not to say he may not enjoy some success this week too.

Agreed. I imagine they also use him as a decoy on some deep routes just to open up the middle by stretching the secondary.

However I do wonder if they would throw in a reverse for him or a fake reverse.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2342589 said:

Plus, the Martz offense and the Garrett offense should be from the same Coryell-derived family... I think both use the numbering system for routes, so maybe he can pick it up a little faster than usual.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2342617 said:
Plus, the Martz offense and the Garrett offense should be from the same Coryell-derived family... I think both use the numbering system for routes, so maybe he can pick it up a little faster than usual.

I was under the impression the only difference was the pass protection and the terminology for the pass protection.

I think he will play a handful of plays.

the one thing I have not heard anyone talk about and i dont know this myself is, how is roy williams as a run blocker outside?

the rams corners are extremely small. with owens, austin and williams blocking outside i would expect us to run a ton outside and wear those guys out early.

It can be fun dealing with the size of those 3 wr when you are trying to tackle barber.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
He'll be fine by Sunday. He'll know enough of the playbook by then to contribute. He'll probably catch 4 or 5 balls and do enough that teams will quickly realise that simply doubling TO isn't going to exactly work for them anymore.

Can you even imagine how excited this cat is going to be on Sunday? Playing for a team that he knows has talent and has a shot to win each week? You don't think Roy is going to bust his hump and come out and make as much of a difference as he can?

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2342778 said:
Can you even imagine how excited this cat is going to be on Sunday? Playing for a team that he knows has talent and has a shot to win each week? You don't think Roy is going to bust his hump and come out and make as much of a difference as he can?

This crossed my mind as well. He has been very discouraged recently, and has wanted this to happen for some time now.

I think he will be very excited about playing for a super bowl caliber team. Imagine playing for the worst team in the league and then going to one of the best.

He is a star among stars now. :starspin

Nexx

Reaction score
im calling it... 3 catches for 40 yards for RW and 7 catches for 125 for TO this weekend.

Aven8

Reaction score
Nexx;2342845 said:
im calling it... 3 catches for 40 yards for RW and 7 catches for 125 for TO this weekend.

The TO will be screaming for Brad to be the starter!!!! lol

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Aven8;2342856 said:
The TO will be screaming for Brad to be the starter!!!! lol

or why we didn't make this trade sooner

joseephuss

Reaction score
When Dallas traded Antonio Bryant to Cleveland for Quincy Morgan, Quincy came in and had 4 catches for 76 yards in his first game. That was with terrible Vinny Testaverde at QB, horrible Eddie George at RB and slower than me Keyshawn Johnson at the other WR spot. Even Terry Glenn was playing for a short time in that game before getting injured.

If Quincy Morgan can be targeted at least 4 times in that game and similar situation, then I think Roy Williams can be targeted much more this Sunday.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
I just saw an interview with Roy Williams in the locker room. He addressed some of these questions. If you want to have the interview you can download it here......... Click Here

You will need the user name and password......

User Name: boysfan (all lower case)
Password: 33433