News: How Myles Jack Can Become a Cowboy

CCBoy

Reaction score
How Myles Jack Can Become a Cowboy

http://insidethestar.com/myles-jack-can-become-cowboy/

Before we talk about the future let’s briefly review the past. Two years ago Dallas had the 16th pick and, after taking Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick in two of their three previous drafts, were unanimously expected to got with a defensive player. When the time came, though, the Cowboys stunned everyone and selected Zack Martin at guard.

Dallas wasn’t exactly loaded on the offensive line at this point. Without Martin their starting guards would’ve been Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Still, they’d both had solid years in 2013 and were going to be playing next to stars.

Still, Dallas stuck to their board and took the best player available once they were on the clock. Martin was an instant upgrade that helped the 2014 offense establish a dominant run game, DeMarco Murray break the team record for yards in a season, and the team go 12-4 and win the division. He is now considered one of the elite guards in the league.

The reason I mention all of this is that I think the logic that went into drafting Martin is very much the same as why I could see Dallas taking Myles Jack in a few weeks.

When I got to the Cowboys pick the three players off the board were tackle Laremy Tunsil, quarterback Carson Wentz, and defensive back Jalen Ramsey. To be clear, I would pick Ramsey to the Cowboys in an instant if he was still available. Sadly, I don’t see him getting past the Chargers at #3 and he may go even higher than that.

So, with Ezekiel Elliott, Joey Bosa, DeForest Buckner, Jared Goff, and plenty of other guys on the board I went with Jack. Here are the key reasons:

1. Best Player Available
The way I see this rookie class there are four elite talents among the non-quarterbacks; Tunsil, Ramsey, Elliott, and Jack. Once you go outside of those four you are dropping to a lower tier of talent and upside.

Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
So why Jack over Elliott? This is more of a philosophical issue than one of player evaluation. The Cowboys are going to be spending a whole lot of money on their offensive line for the next ten years. Frederick, Martin, and La’el Collins will all command league-leading salaries at their positions when rookie deals expire. It’s not likely that the Cowboys can pay all of them while also giving a running back franchise money.

After seeing what Murray did in 2014 and Darren McFadden last year, I’m more convinced than ever that Dallas doesn’t need to have the best running backs to have the best running attack. Solid and modestly-paid rushers should be able to produce more than enough for this team to be successful. I think spend high picks and $5 million or more a year on one ball carrier is a waste given the system they’ve built. The return on investment won’t be as good...

CCBoy

Reaction score
...Ultimately this comes down to a few key points of logic. If Dallas was going to draft based on need then they’d be taking a defensive end. They have both stated and proven that that is not how they want to handle the draft anymore. They want to focus on adding the most talent whenever they can and not worry too much about the position they play.

If they’re drafting solely on talent and Tunsil and Ramsey are gone then it comes down to Jack, Elliott, and one or both of the quarterbacks if you love them enough. I’ve already explained why I wouldn’t take Elliott or any running back that high in the draft, especially with McFadden returning and the signing of Alfred Morris. I think this run game will be more than productive enough for the team to be a contender.

Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports
As said already, only the Cowboys know if they really think Goff or Wentz is the right kid to tie your future to. I think it’s still a year too soon to pull that trigger but I could easily be wrong about the team’s mindset.

That leaves Myles Jack as not only the best talent on the board but someone who can help you both now and especially a year from now. With McClain’s question marks and Sean Lee turning 30 in July, Rod Marinelli’s defense may need a new captain very quickly. Jack has the skills to fill that void and is a perfect scheme fit.

Dallas reaped the benefits of the Zack Martin pick immediately. I think picking Jack would be similarly profitable this year and for many to come.

*(same reference as the OP referenced)

Reactions: BAT

jnday

Reaction score
LB is not s position that should be drafted top five unless the player offers an elite pass rush. Jack doesn't have that pass rush and drafting injured players is not a good ideal.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
LB is not s position that should be drafted top five unless the player offers an elite pass rush. Jack doesn't have that pass rush and drafting injured players is not a good ideal.

when that player is better then any opther player available it would be foolish not to draft him. People with the frame of mind u show in this post are the same people who are making threads in a couple yrs saying they had a chance to draft him. Jerry ruined the Cowboys

Reaction score
when that player is better then any opther player available it would be foolish not to draft him. People with the frame of mind u show in this post are the same people who are making threads in a couple yrs saying they had a chance to draft him. Jerry ruined the Cowboys

BPA is a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Otherwise, we would have picked a QB in some of these drafts. If Bosa is rated close to Jack, you take Bosa because DE is a cornerstone position; WLB is not.

Jake0

Reaction score

???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_draft

So you wouldn't take Kuechly top 5 here? He went 9th as is. If there was a re-draft, he goes 2nd at worst with a possibility of 1st. He's a normal linebacker, not a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. A smart linebacker with elite coverage skills that locks the position down for a decade+ is worth a top 5 pick.

Is Jack that? I don't know. It's just getting rather annoying seeing people say linebackers aren't worthy of a top 5 selection. An elite linebacker is the cornerstone of a defense a majority of the time. Our linebackers are huge risks just like Lawrence/Gregory.

Too much infatuation with what have you done for me lately. If there was a poor man's Von Miller available in the draft, he'd be the consensus #1 overall pick by a mile even though it was undeserved.

Reactions: BAT

mattjames2010

Reaction score
BPA is a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Otherwise, we would have picked a QB in some of these drafts. If Bosa is rated close to Jack, you take Bosa because DE is a cornerstone position; WLB is not.

What are you on about?

BPA is based off our staffs board, not yours or any other member. "We would have picked a QB in some of these drafts" - Like who? Jack is a better player at his position than Bosa is at his. We are in need of a LB with Lee getting older and injury prone and McClain one puff away from not playing at all for a year and only being on a one year contract.

Time to start studying up on Myles Jack because there is a good chance we will draft him.

Reaction score
What are you on about?

BPA is based off our staffs board, not yours or any other member. "We would have picked a QB in some of these drafts" - Like who? Jack is a better player at his position than Bosa is at his. We are in need of a LB with Lee getting older and injury prone and McClain one puff away from not playing at all for a year and only being on a one year contract.

Time to start studying up on Myles Jack because there is a good chance we will draft him.

Of course, dude. If you read my post closely, I wrote "if Bosa is rated close to Jack, you take Bosa." That is, if our FO rates them closely, you take Bosa because he is at a premier, cornerstone position (QB, DE, CB, OT). If our FO rates Jack significantly better than Bosa, you take Jack (if he's healthy). But I don't think that's the case...

And my point about QB, is that, at some point in prior drafts, there was a QB sitting there who we had ranked above the position player, but we did not take him, because we just don't draft QBs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Quick: Someone show me the last LB with the coverage skills Jack had coming out of college.

He is simply the ONLY prospect I can think of in the top 10 that has a unique skillset at his position of play. LBs like Jack don't come around every year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Of course, dude. If you read my post closely, I wrote "if Bosa is rated close to Jack, you take Bosa." That is, if our FO rates them closely, you take Bosa because he is at a premier, cornerstone position (QB, DE, CB, OT). If our FO rates Jack significantly better than Bosa, you take Jack (if he's healthy). But I don't think that's the case...

And my point about QB, is that, at some point in prior drafts, there was a QB sitting there who we had ranked above the position player, but we did not take him, because we just don't draft QBs.

Yes, Bosa may be taken over Jack, but it should not come down to "Take him because he's a DE". Who is the better player? If Jack is even a slightly better player and is ranked higher on the board, you draft him. We have the fourth pick in the draft, you don't mess around with the board you took months making because the league considers one position premiere.

As for us passing on QBs in the past, again, who? Is there is a draft board picture that showed this? And we haven't had the need to draft a QB in years. We lost Aikman in 2000, we drafted Carter, and then we watched Romo develop and he's been our QB for a decade.

We'll be taking BPA, if we draft Jack, he was the highest rated player. Like I said, time to study up, there is good reason why Jack is a top 5-7 prospect.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bosa is catalytic. You see FCS teams gameplan around guys like Mack like they did with Bosa but you don't see that in BCS games very often. Bosa got it every week for two years. You see his own DC zone blitz and twist off him to get DT, LB and S free runs into the pocket.

Bosa is dynamic. He lined up at all 4 DL spots at OSU and had success at all of them. He has experience at dropping on zone blitzes and makes plays in space. He has a diverse repertoire of moves with the dip and rip, swim, and bull rushes all looking quick, fluid and powerful. He is developing a spin move as well. He never comes off the field and maintains a high motor.

Bosa is productive. He had near 200 pressures in his 3 years to go with 5 FF, 26 sacks and 51 TFL. He was named his conference's DPOTY once, DL of the year twice, and consensus all american at twice.

Bosa is young. He would be 21 his first year as a pro coming out as a junior. He will only be 26 when all rookie contract option are exhausted and if worthy a 5 year deal is comfortable. He also has a chance to get larger and maintain his athleticism as he grows naturally.

I think if I hear another good not great explanation I think I might puke.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Bosa is not a RDE thats the cornerstone. SDE comes in 3rd behind the 3tech in importance in this defense. And theres talk that Bosa might be better off inside because if his lack of burst. I like Bosas play against the run, but people look at him , and want him to be the next Watt. Not gonna happen. He was blocked consistently 1 on 1 this yr and was held at bay very well by inferior talent

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Bosa is not a RDE thats the cornerstone. SDE comes in 3rd behind the 3tech in importance in this defense. And theres talk that Bosa might be better off inside because if his lack of burst. I like Bosas play against the run, but people look at him , and want him to be the next Watt. Not gonna happen. He was blocked consistently 1 on 1 this yr and was held at bay very well by inferior talent

gmoney112

Reaction score
???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_draft

So you wouldn't take Kuechly top 5 here? He went 9th as is. If there was a re-draft, he goes 2nd at worst with a possibility of 1st. He's a normal linebacker, not a pass rushing 3-4 OLB. A smart linebacker with elite coverage skills that locks the position down for a decade+ is worth a top 5 pick.

Is Jack that? I don't know. It's just getting rather annoying seeing people say linebackers aren't worthy of a top 5 selection. An elite linebacker is the cornerstone of a defense a majority of the time. Our linebackers are huge risks just like Lawrence/Gregory.

Too much infatuation with what have you done for me lately. If there was a poor man's Von Miller available in the draft, he'd be the consensus #1 overall pick by a mile even though it was undeserved.

I see your point, I'd take him #1. But Keuchly is a generational talent. His college production was incredible, he had as many tackles every year that Jack had collectively his entire college career. Luke also had 7 picks with 2 pick sixes.

Can Jack be that productive? Maybe, maybe not. No one knows, and that's the point. Combine that with the fact he's coming off that injury, and I don't see how you can possibly take him top 5.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't want a 43 OLB with the fourth pick overall… But Jack is so skilled and his coverage is so great that I wouldn't mind Dallas pulling the trigger at all at number four.

With the passing game as prevalent as it is now, an OLB like Jack could be a real difference maker.

Jake0

Reaction score
You can completely remove Jack from my entire post. I was just refuting the notion that linebackers in general aren't worth a top 5 pick.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't want a 43 OLB with the fourth pick overall… But Jack is so skilled and his coverage is so great that I wouldn't mind Dallas pulling the trigger at all at number four.

With the passing game as prevalent as it is now, an OLB like Jack could be a real difference maker.

Reports are that San Diego actually likes Jack as a safety. He has some unique skills.

jnday

Reaction score

No, I don't do that. Drafting a injured player at a non-premium position is something I will never regret. I will however, blame Jerry if he makes the pick. He should know better. You don't know my frame of mind in any way. I am much too complicated to be labeled in one of your groups.