How the Cowboys' safety rotation will sort out over the entire season

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Safety Damontae Kazee's two takeaways against the Bucs and Chargers have probably made the biggest impact of all the Cowboys' free agent signings. Kearse got the defensive game ball

Sunday for a reason, though. He started at strong safety for Donovan Wilson (groin) and played 69 of 71 defensive snaps against the Chargers, second most on the team, posting six tackles (one for loss), a pass breakup and a pressure. A second-quarter interception on Herbert was wiped out by a pass interference penalty. (Debate that call if you like.)

"I thought he was all over the field, No. 1," McCarthy said. "I loved his play style, his intensity, his production. He had the interception, in my view, that was a tough call to see that go against him. I thought he was in really good coverage on Jared Cook, played him outside leverage there. The utilization of him in matchups has been a real asset for us. Just love the way he played, both in the run and the pass."

Through two games, Kearse ranks second on defense with 15 tackles. He also leads the special teams with 2 stops. And as McCarthy referenced, Kearse (6-4, 222) can play anywhere on the field: box, deep, over tight ends or in the slot. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said Kearse played both safety spots against the Chargers as part of the Cowboys' "big nickel" package featuring three safeties.

"He's always had a history of being able to guard tight ends," Quinn said. "But I think you saw the physicality in the blitzing and the tackling. I thought that was a really impactful part of our game."

Kearse was a core special teams player in his first five seasons with the Vikings and Lions, but he also started 12 games at safety. Between Kearse, Kazee, Wilson and Hooker, the Cowboys feel good about their depth and flexibility at the position.

3 & Out: “The Long Road” With Zeke & Tony Pollard (dallascowboys.com)

quickccc

Reaction score
If Kearse proved he could guard most TEs that's a good thing, he'll likely be going up against a good one in Philly's Dallas Goerbert. who is a better TE at this point than Zack Ertz.

And If Kearse keeps grading out as such , don't be surprised if Cowboys eventually promote Kearse to full time starter over Donovan Wilson. They may consider Kearse a more complete player.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Nice! We are finally starting to look like we have depth all over the field. I hope a great CB falls to us in the next draft.

quickccc

Reaction score
Damontae Kazee has been Huge for this defense.
Not only just takeaways, but both came huge near the goal line scoring position.

And because of the impact of Kazee and Kearse, Hooker has been able to gradually
contribute at his limited role and pace. Dunno if Malik is being cross trained to flex to both FS and SS for
depth purposes.

With the safeties contributing as such, this allows Wilson to recover at a gradual pace, without the need to
be rushed back and reaggravating that groin injury,

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Damontae Kazee has been Huge for this defense.
Not only just takeaways, but both came huge near the goal line scoring position.

And because of the impact of Kazee and Kearse, Hooker has been able to gradually
contribute at his limited role and pace. Dunno if Malik is being cross trained to flex to both FS and SS for
depth purposes.

With the safeties contributing as such, this allows Wilson to recover at a gradual pace, without the need to
be rushed back and reaggravating that groin injury,

It looks like Quinn likes to use Kearse on pass-rush, which may start seeing Cox to stay back on coverage. It's made our whole defense less predictable (which also helps Micah)......for me if you dont know where it's coming from you can't scheme against it.

We'll become the Ninja Defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Safety Damontae Kazee's two takeaways against the Bucs and Chargers have probably made the biggest impact of all the Cowboys' free agent signings. Kearse got the defensive game ball

Sunday for a reason, though. He started at strong safety for Donovan Wilson (groin) and played 69 of 71 defensive snaps against the Chargers, second most on the team, posting six tackles (one for loss), a pass breakup and a pressure. A second-quarter interception on Herbert was wiped out by a pass interference penalty. (Debate that call if you like.)

"I thought he was all over the field, No. 1," McCarthy said. "I loved his play style, his intensity, his production. He had the interception, in my view, that was a tough call to see that go against him. I thought he was in really good coverage on Jared Cook, played him outside leverage there. The utilization of him in matchups has been a real asset for us. Just love the way he played, both in the run and the pass."

Through two games, Kearse ranks second on defense with 15 tackles. He also leads the special teams with 2 stops. And as McCarthy referenced, Kearse (6-4, 222) can play anywhere on the field: box, deep, over tight ends or in the slot. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said Kearse played both safety spots against the Chargers as part of the Cowboys' "big nickel" package featuring three safeties.

"He's always had a history of being able to guard tight ends," Quinn said. "But I think you saw the physicality in the blitzing and the tackling. I thought that was a really impactful part of our game."

Kearse was a core special teams player in his first five seasons with the Vikings and Lions, but he also started 12 games at safety. Between Kearse, Kazee, Wilson and Hooker, the Cowboys feel good about their depth and flexibility at the position.

3 & Out: “The Long Road” With Zeke & Tony Pollard (dallascowboys.com)

Keep in my Kazee, Kearse were handpicked by the defensive coaches, I believe Edwards actually had Kearse while in Minny. Since they use a lot of 3 safety packages I could see Wilson becoming the odd man out.

Aven8

Reaction score
Watching Kearse the other day felt like I was watching Cam Chancelor or something back in the day. I’m like where the hell did this dude come from!!!