Hypothetical Football Scenario

Cowboy89

Reaction score
Scenario:

Cowboys offense is faced with 4th & 2 at the opponents 45 yard line. There is 7 minutes left in the game. They're down by 2. Coach calls for punting unit to come on. The offense waves them up, and thus against the head coach's wishes, ends up going for it on 4th down.

Regardless of the 4th down result, would players be penalized internally by the organization? Furthermore, if the offense refused to leave the field to allow the punting unit on, is there anything the coach could/would do to avoid it happening?

Has anyone ever seen this happen at any football level? I've never seen it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the punting team come running on to the field basically forcing the offense off?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’ve never seen it. Though I have seen a QB adament enough about going for it that the coach had to call a timeout.

Flamma

Reaction score
I forget if it was Roger or Danny White at the time, but the Cowboys had a 4th and 1 against the Commanders once and went for it. But Tom Landry was screaming no no no right before the snap. I don't know if it was a miscommunication or the QB decided to go on his own. He may have just wanted a hard snap count to draw them off but they actually ran a play instead. It failed BTW. I do remember it being a big game, just don't know which game.

landroverking

Reaction score
I forget if it was Roger or Danny White at the time, but the Cowboys had a 4th and 1 against the Commanders once and went for it. But Tom Landry was screaming no no no right before the snap. I don't know if it was a miscommunication or the QB decided to go on his own. He may have just wanted a hard snap count to draw them off but they actually ran a play instead. It failed BTW. I do remember it being a big game, just don't know which game.
Danny White somewhere around mid field.

Ghost12

Reaction score
I seem to remember Peyton Manning doing something like that to Dungy, and he made it. Since Manning is Manning (and Dungy is Dungy) there were no consequences.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't allow the coaching staff to penalize players, so it'd be up to Jerry. So I'd imagine the 4th down result would likely be the most important factor.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I seem to remember Peyton Manning doing something like that to Dungy, and he made it. Since Manning is Manning (and Dungy is Dungy) there were no consequences.
Yep I remember that . Might have been a playoff game against Steelers

Blackrain

Reaction score
Scenario:

Cowboys offense is faced with 4th & 2 at the opponents 45 yard line. There is 7 minutes left in the game. They're down by 2. Coach calls for punting unit to come on. The offense waves them up, and thus against the head coach's wishes, ends up going for it on 4th down.

Regardless of the 4th down result, would players be penalized internally by the organization? Furthermore, if the offense refused to leave the field to allow the punting unit on, is there anything the coach could/would do to avoid it happening?

In our dysfunctional organization Garrett would just stay clapping no matter the outcome , There is defiantly nothing Garrett could do he cant even get players substituted properly in a playoff game There would be no penalties Jerry would babble something about there passion for the game made them do it . Yes Peyton Manning did it and made the 4th and 2

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok. I did a little research and I believe it was the 2nd to last game in the season of '83. The Commanders stomped us at home to win the division. It was also the "Fun Bunch" embarrassment. I remember that year looking back at the games. I think the first game of the season was a Monday night against the Commanders. They were up on us 23-3 at halftime and the Cowboys rallied back led by two consecutive bombs to Drew Pearson. A missed FG by Wash. and a fumble later, Dallas was up 31-23. Dallas ended up winning 31-30 in Washington.

I can also clearly remember the last game of the season where we got absolutely crushed by the 49ers on Monday night. The Cowboys didn't even show up. Then lost to the Rams first round of the playoffs. I remember that season being such a disappointment because they were doing so well all season long.