I am unfamiliar with the 2-tight end set...

juck

Reaction score
set.It sounds pretty simple to understand,but anyone know of other teams that use it?I like it because they can stay in and block or head out for a pass,probably keep the linebackers on their toes instead of blitzing so much.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We used some of it last year when Flo went down.

However Dan was starting to get beat down in the body and it was not as effective as we liked.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Green Bay uses it. The Colts also use it. Atlanta and NE, I believe.

ravidubey

Reaction score
It's the same as it's always been-- but normally you have a receiving TE on one side and a blocking TE on the other side which makes things more predictable.

Fasano gives Dallas the option of throwing to either side. The weak side backer and DE don't know if he's staying in to pass block, run block, or running a pass pattern, so not only is it harder to guess the play based on the formation, with Fasano it's also not clear which side to put your best cover guys on.

Furthermore, the weakside defenders have further to go around the outside to get to the QB, and if they peel their ears back and rush passed the TE the QB might just throw right over their heads to the same TE. Washington used to torture the New York Giants this way with Donny Warren of all people, because the Giants would be convinced there's no way Washington would throw him the ball.

It's not a super-special trick, but it allows Dallas to do more from the same formation without substitutions.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
NE, the Giants, and Skins like to use it.

NE likes to use two stationary TE's with Graham and Watson. The Giants use two stationary TE's with Shiancoe and Shockey and the Skins TE's are more "roving TE's" aka H-Backs, with Sellers and Cooley.

Sounds like Witten will be a stationary TE and Fasano will be a roving TE. For whatever reason, last year when they had Witten roving around, all of his blocking regressed. I figure they believe that as long as they keep him at the normal TE spot, his blocking will be fine.

Rich........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

NE likes to use two stationary TE's with Graham and Watson. The Giants use two stationary TE's with Shiancoe and Shockey and the Skins TE's are more "roving TE's" aka H-Backs, with Sellers and Cooley.

Sounds like Witten will be a stationary TE and Fasano will be a roving TE. For whatever reason, last year when they had Witten roving around, all of his blocking regressed. I figure they believe that as long as they keep him at the normal TE spot, his blocking will be fine.

Rich........

Despite the fact NE has Graham and Watson they still turned about and drafted 2 more TE in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If Dallas is to stick to this style of offense having quality TE is a must. Right now I think Dallas has just that with Witten and Fasano

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich........

Um, I know this is a stupid question, but what is a roving TE and a stationary TE?

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
What they said ^.

It will also keep D's "honest" -- in particular 4-3 D's as they usually have to walk the "Willie" LB down and play as a standing DE due to the odd front. It also keeps the D from playing the nickel.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Um, I know this is a stupid question, but what is a roving TE and a stationary TE?

There are no stupid questions..

Stationary TE is your standard TE. He'll stay at the same spot your standard TE plays at, alongside the OT. In Witten's case, he can move out wide like a WR, but with this terminology we are talking about where they'll line up when they are blocking.

A roving TE is pretty much an H-Back. Sometimes they'll line up in your regular TE position...alongside the OT. Sometimes they'll be at the standard H-Back position (just behind the TE who is alongside the OT). And sometimes they'll move to the fullback position and work as a lead blocker.

Rich........

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Stationary TE is your standard TE. He'll stay at the same spot your standard TE plays at, alongside the OT. In Witten's case, he can move out wide like a WR, but with this terminology we are talking about where they'll line up when they are blocking.

A roving TE is pretty much an H-Back. Sometimes they'll line up in your regular TE position...alongside the OT. Sometimes they'll be at the standard H-Back position (just behind the TE who is alongside the OT). And sometimes they'll move to the fullback position and work as a lead blocker.

Rich........

Thanks Yakuza. That makes sense now that I think of it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich........
Good summary. It would be interesting to see how the 2 TEs will line up. I suspect they will not line up the same every time, but will switch sides, move around, go in motion, etc.

In addition to outside the OTs on either side of the line, there's H-Back as you mentioned and Witten could even move into the slot where he could cause a matchup problem or be an extra blocker out wide on a sweep or screen. Not sure on Fasano in the slot so I can't comment on him yet. If anyone thinks he could line up out there please say so.

If Julius is playing near what they expect of him it could be a very lethal offensive look. Figure 7 potential blockers on run plays and up to 5 receivers counting the RB on pass plays.

It could be fun to watch and will create some matchup problems especially given it will be harder to double team TO or Glenn.

superpunk

Reaction score
My only question about it is - how often are we really going to use it? Pro-Bowler Jason Witten needs to be out there, and if Fasano is as good as they think he is, he needs to be out there, too.

I looked some stuff up, on some of the teams people claim use the two TE formation alot (i.e. Colts and Pats), and truthfully, they only run it about 10-15% of the time, if that. Is it going to be similar here? Or are we going to be having Fasano all over the place?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
superpunk said:
My only question about it is - how often are we really going to use it? Pro-Bowler Jason Witten needs to be out there, and if Fasano is as good as they think he is, he needs to be out there, too.

I looked some stuff up, on some of the teams people claim use the two TE formation alot (i.e. Colts and Pats), and truthfully, they only run it about 10-15% of the time, if that. Is it going to be similar here? Or are we going to be having Fasano all over the place?

My guess is that they'll run it more than that. Probably about 50% of the time. The Skins are another team that uses the formation quite a bit last year with Cooley and Sellers/Royal.

I look at it like you'll either have Fasano or Polite in the lineup. I think it's pretty easy to see Fasano as a much bigger threat than Polite.

Rich..............

hmcorp

Reaction score
Four out of the past five super bowl winners used the two tight end set.

The patriots colts steelers chiefs and falcons all use it.

Some of the top offenses in the league use it. (chiefs, colts and pats)

Playoff winners use it. Super bowl winners use it. The cowboys are going to use it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
My guess is that they'll run it more than that. Probably about 50% of the time. The Skins are another team that uses the formation quite a bit last year with Cooley and Sellers/Royal.

I look at it like you'll either have Fasano or Polite in the lineup. I think it's pretty easy to see Fasano as a much bigger threat than Polite.

Rich..............

I've made peace with the Fasano pick (it wasn't that hard) but if we're not going 2-TE at least 50% of the time, that is a wasted pick. I am VERY interested to see how it works.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich..............
I was about to say this. Combine the amount we used it last year with about 70% of the times we used a FB last year. That total is probably about how much we'll use it this year.

superpunk

Reaction score
hmcorp said:
Four out of the past five super bowl winners used the two tight end set.

The patriots colts steelers chiefs and falcons all use it.

Some of the top offenses in the league use it. (chiefs, colts and pats)

Playoff winners use it. Super bowl winners use it. The cowboys are going to use it.

Obviously they're going to use it. The pertinent question is "How much?" Because none of those teams you mentioned even came close to running that formation 50% of the time. It was a very small percentage of their actual play-calling.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
superpunk said:

I am only guessing here.

We will have some 3 WR sets and probably a handful of 4 WR sets. You have to in order to keep the defenses honest.

I suspect that given the pass catching abilities of both TEs that we will see a lot more of it than other teams have utilized.

I'll also surmize that they will block a lot and continue the max protect schemes to keep Bledsoe upright and this is one of the reasons OL wasn't considered as high a need in this draft.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Good summary. It would be interesting to see how the 2 TEs will line up. I suspect they will not line up the same every time, but will switch sides, move around, go in motion, etc.

I would imagine so.

The teams that like to use the 2 TE sets usually run a ton of motion in order to create mismatches with an LB or safety who they don't think can cover them.

I also expect they'll go back to using more of that wishbone formation. They really didn't use it much last year, but in the previous years it worked well.

One of my favorite schemes was actually designed by Mike Sherman. It was a super duper jumbo set they could use in short yardage situations. Instead of going with 2 TE's, they'd have one of their backup OT's play the TE spot. So they'd have 3 OT's, 1 TE, and in the backfield they had 275 pound FB Nick Luchey as the lead blocker with 250 pound RB Najeh Davenport getting the ball.

Parcells tried something similar to that with Vollers in '03, but they just didn't have the RB's to pull it off.

Rich.........

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich..............
Good assumptions. I am Polite's biggest fan. IMO he's a long shot to make the team as things sit right now. I hope he does, I think a blocking FB on goal line and short yardage situations is underrated. Though we did use Spears like that a couple of times.