I could see Mazi Smith being like Giants era Hankins

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Focusing on him a little bit yesterday, I watched him play out of the 3T and 4i position. 4i was where where he bullied Schmitz into the pocket. His assignments seemed to be strictly beating his block and penetrating as opposed to occuping space. There we a couple run downs I noticed in the 2nd half where it wasnt pretty. However, he seems to be effective as a power rushing 3T right now. He came pretty close to sacks twice yesterday

In his early days with NY, our own Jonathan Hankins played 3T and was an effective pass rusher, notching a 7 sack season his 2nd year. I could see Smith being used in a similar way the next couple years.

It will be interesting to see how the 1T position is handled next year. I dont think staff is as down on Smith as others. If they were they would stop giving him snaps. There are other options. But are they going to move Smith over to 1T, or keep playing him in a young Hankins like role at 3T and 4i

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I hope this is accurate as well, it was nice to see him making some plays. Still a young player though.

I hate to hijack the thread, but can we just take a moment to appreciate Hankins? Low key an AMAZING trade last year who has really helped shore up the middle of the DL when he is on the field.

quickccc

Reaction score
Focusing on him a little bit yesterday, I watched him play out of the 3T and 4i position. 4i was where where he bullied Schmitz into the pocket. His assignments seemed to be strictly beating his block and penetrating as opposed to occuping space. There we a couple run downs I noticed in the 2nd half where it wasnt pretty. However, he seems to be effective as a power rushing 3T right now. He came pretty close to sacks twice yesterday

In his early days with NY, our own Jonathan Hankins played 3T and was an effective pass rusher, notching a 7 sack season his 2nd year. I could see Smith being used in a similar way the next couple years.

It will be interesting to see how the 1T position is handled next year. I dont think staff is as down on Smith as others. If they were they would stop giving him snaps. There are other options. But are they going to move Smith over to 1T, or keep playing him in a young Hankins like role at 3T and 4i

Hankins ?
Why not a All Pro, Pro Bowler like another ex -Giants DT ,.. Damon " Snack" Harrison ..??

In his prime Snack was so uniquely powerful dominant that he could swing the likes of even Zack Martin and
Travis Fredrick aside at will.

Correct if I am wrong, but I don't believe Hankins was ever a All pro or Pro Bowler at any point of his career - very solid role player but not as dominant a run stuffer like Snack was.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hankins ?
Why not a All Pro, Pro Bowler like another ex -Giants DT ,.. Damon " Snack" Harrison ..??

In his prime Snack was so uniquely powerful dominant that he could swing the likes of even Zack Martin and
Travis Fredrick aside at will.

Correct if I am wrong, but I don't believe Hankins was ever a All pro or Pro Bowler at any point of his career - very solid role player but not as dominant a run stuffer like Snack was.
Im not saying who I want to be, Im saying who I think he could become.

If I wanted to shoot for the stars, then Id say a combination of Vita Vea and Aaron Donald

Nexx

Reaction score
i would take pretty much any performance by an individual yesterday with a grain of salt. Giants...

kskboys

Reaction score
I hope this is accurate as well, it was nice to see him making some plays. Still a young player though.

I hate to hijack the thread, but can we just take a moment to appreciate Hankins? Low key an AMAZING trade last year who has really helped shore up the middle of the DL when he is on the field.
Hankins has transformed our D. We are a completely different team when he is on the field.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The really nice thing to see from Mazi is that this staff gave him 25 snaps, which is the most he has had all year, and about 10 snaps over his average per game. I know a lot of people will say that's because it's a blowout but so was the first NY game....and the Jets, Pats, and Rams. I have to believe that he is getting snaps because the coaching staff is seeing progression out of the kid.

If he's starting to develop then the Cowboys have a very underrated DT rotation with Mazi/Hankins/OSA.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The really nice thing to see from Mazi is that this staff gave him 25 snaps, which is the most he has had all year, and about 10 snaps over his average per game. I know a lot of people will say that's because it's a blowout but so was the first NY game....and the Jets, Pats, and Rams. I have to believe that he is getting snaps because the coaching staff is seeing progression out of the kid.

If he's starting to develop then the Cowboys have a very underrated DT rotation with Mazi/Hankins/OSA.
His snap counts have been fairly consistent

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Hankins used to give TFred fits early on

kskboys

Reaction score
I see Mazi developing into an Alim McNeill type player.
Ooooohh, that would be nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alim is becoming one of the best DT's in the game, and is a big part of DET's emergence as a contender.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i dont know what mazi smith will turn out to be but if will mcclay is so admant about this pick i think i will wait a little while to see what he really becomes i trust will on this