CFZ I Guess I've Come Full Circle

plasticman

Reaction score
When I came to America in 1969 I wanted to learn how to play "American Football'.

Friends here in Texas informed me that the best way to learn was to watch professional teams play on TV. They told me I should watch the Dallas Cowboys because they were one of the best teams.

The very first Cowboys game I watched was against the Minnesota Vikings during the 1970 season. The Cowboys lost in Minnesota 54-13.

What I remember the most was how pathetic the Cowboys quarterback played. He threw 3 INT's. They had another quarterback who also threw an INT.

I felt so sorry for the Dallas Cowboys and their quarterback that I adopted the team as the one I wanted to follow.

That season, the Cowboys rallied from a 5-4 start to their season by sweeping the rest of the regular season games as well as the two playoff games that put them in the Super Bowl for the first time.

They lost that Super Bowl game but the following year they got to the Super Bowl game and won, led by that SB's MVP and eventual HOFer, that pathetic quarterback I saw in the 1970 Minnesota game, Roger Staubach.

To this day, that 1970 game was the widest margin of defeat in an away game for the Cowboys in their history.

....which means the widest margin of defeat and the widest margin of victory for a Cowboys away game was against the same franchise, the Minnesota Vikings.

The former game was my first ever and the latter game is presently my last.

It took a while but I've come full circle, that 1970 game has been avenged.

Of course, my next game will be on Thanksgiving.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very cool story. I became a fan of the Cowboys during SB V. I thought the Star was so cool. Back then I didn't know the history of the season. I didn't understand what a Super Bowl was. All I knew it was a big game. Little did I know how many years of joy and heartache the team with the Star would bring to my life 50+ years later.

I'm just glad I didn't think the horseshoe was cooler than the Star.

CCBoy

Reaction score
When I came to America in 1969 I wanted to learn how to play "American Football'.

Friends here in Texas informed me that the best way to learn was to watch professional teams play on TV. They told me I should watch the Dallas Cowboys because they were one of the best teams.

The very first Cowboys game I watched was against the Minnesota Vikings during the 1970 season. The Cowboys lost in Minnesota 54-13.

What I remember the most was how pathetic the Cowboys quarterback played. He threw 3 INT's. They had another quarterback who also threw an INT.

I felt so sorry for the Dallas Cowboys and their quarterback that I adopted the team as the one I wanted to follow.

That season, the Cowboys rallied from a 5-4 start to their season by sweeping the rest of the regular season games as well as the two playoff games that put them in the Super Bowl for the first time.

They lost that Super Bowl game but the following year they got to the Super Bowl game and won, led by that SB's MVP and eventual HOFer, that pathetic quarterback I saw in the 1970 Minnesota game, Roger Staubach.

To this day, that 1970 game was the widest margin of defeat in an away game for the Cowboys in their history.

....which means the widest margin of defeat and the widest margin of victory for a Cowboys away game was against the same franchise, the Minnesota Vikings.

:) How you feeling about Jerry and Stephen Jones this very second? :flagwave:

CWR

Reaction score

I suppose there's nothing left to do, but take this thing all the way to the big dance.

cowboyed

Reaction score

Nice post plasticman. Where do you hail from originally? Canada, Europe?

Centex

Reaction score
When I came to America in 1969 I wanted to learn how to play "American Football'

I nearly posted a similar post after the game. The 1970 Minnesota Dallas game was also my first pro game to watch. I was 6 years old. And somehow I became an instant Dallas fan. I don’t hate Minnesota like I do Philly or a few others but I sure enjoyed the long overdue beat down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Nice story. I recall that game in Bloomington against the defending NFC Champs .

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The Hail Mary game didn't do it for you? The collective heartbreak in that stadium should have been enough for you and your kids and your kids' kids.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing your story.
I always find it interesting how different fans became Cowboys fans.

My first game was also against the vikes.

The hail Mary game,
Maybe you have heard of it? Lol

Been hooked ever since!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From ?

plasticman

Reaction score
:) How you feeling about Jerry and Stephen Jones this very second? :flagwave:
I believe my views on the Jones's are well known on this forum.

I'm in a good mood and in the spirit of the Thanksgiving week, I will refrain from describing it.

plasticman

Reaction score
I suppose there's nothing left to do,but take this thing all the way to the big dance.
One of the requirements of a Super bowl team is the players understanding what it took to get an opportunity to compete in the playoffs and take the game to another level.

I believe that the intensity of the 49ers took the Cowboys by surprise last season. Hopefully, they have learned something from that game.

Reactions: CWR

Surfguy

Reaction score
giphy.gif

CWR

Reaction score
One of the requirements of a Super bowl team is the players understanding what it took to get an opportunity to compete in the playoffs and take the game to another level.

I believe that the intensity of the 49ers took the Cowboys by surprise last season. Hopefully, they have learned something from that game.

Which is why it's so important we become regular attendees of the playoffs. One year in two years off is no way to build experience. Absolutely agree, the experience vs 9ers should help going forward.

plasticman

Reaction score
Which is why it's so important we become regular attendees of the playoffs. One year in two years off is no way to build experience. Absolutely agree, the experience vs 9ers should help going forward.
And this ties into the flaws of the "all in" philosophy.

It is a gamble. Teams that do this are trading in their future for a higher probability of a championship but shortening their window of opportunity to one or two seasons followed by a recovery period of inferior talent.

Look at the Rams. Suppose Brady had retired as he first intended, what would the Bucs look like now? What DO they look like now? They are 5-5 but without the talent to mount a serious comeback, although I fall short of any guarantee with Brady still lurking.

My point is that successful franchises aren't interested in winning a single Super Bowl. They want a shot at multiple Super Bowls so they create teams capable of consistently competing in the playoffs. The more often they make the playoffs the higher the probability of going all the way. In this way, they haven't sacrificed cap space or future draft picks and would be just as strong a team the next season.

Don't anybody fool themselves. There is an element of luck in winning a Super Bowl. This is particularly true as it pertains to injuries, close games decided by a single play, and referee error. No matter how much incremental talent you add to your team, there is no guarantee. Through my own research I have discovered that the best regarded team with the best stats and best record coming out of the regular season win the Super Bowl less than 50% of the time.

Some teams just peak at the right time and become spoilers. There is always going to be a Giants or 49ers type team capable of winning with enough determination and a little luck.

As an extreme example, the Cowboys built their great 80's team on the back of a GM that went "all in". The Minnesota Vikings mortgaged their future for nothing and that GM was fired.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
And this ties into the flaws of the "all in" philosophy.

It is a gamble. Teams that do this are trading in their future for a higher probability of a championship but shortening their window of opportunity to one or two seasons followed by a recovery period of inferior talent.

Look at the Rams. Suppose Brady had retired as he first intended, what would the Bucs look like now? What DO they look like now? They are 5-5 but without the talent to mount a serious comeback, although I fall short of any guarantee with Brady still lurking.

My point is that successful franchises aren't interested in winning a single Super Bowl. They want a shot at multiple Super Bowls so they create teams capable of consistently competing in the playoffs. The more often they make the playoffs the higher the probability of going all the way. In this way, they haven't sacrificed cap space or future draft picks and would be just as strong a team the next season.

Don't anybody fool themselves. There is an element of luck in winning a Super Bowl. This is particularly true as it pertains to injuries, close games decided by a single play, and referee error. No matter how much incremental talent you add to your team, there is no guarantee. Through my own research I have discovered that the best regarded team with the best stats and best record coming out of the regular season win the Super Bowl less than 50% of the time.

Some teams just peak at the right time and become spoilers. There is always going to be a Giants or 49ers type team capable of winning with enough determination and a little luck.

As an extreme example, the Cowboys built their great 80's team on the back of a GM that went "all in". The Minnesota Vikings mortgaged their future for nothing and that GM was fired.

Yeah I think the push to go "all in" on this board is a philosophy built on desperation. We are simple exhausted with the status quo. It's a gamble and sometimes worth it, but more often than not it fails.

The problem we've been up against is sustained mediocrity. At least if you go all in
you are forced to rebuild down the road.

That said, this is a young roster and maybe it's for the better we continue to see this through. Hard to argue against it at 7-3.

I agree luck is involved, but it's like poker. Luck favors the better prepared, more talented teams in the long run.

Motorola

Reaction score
Nice story. I recall that game in Bloomington against the defending NFC Champs .
Metropolitan Stadium... where both the Vikings and their opponents were on the same sideline during games.
And the two iconic head coaches back then.
On the "sideline stoic meter during games" -scale 1 to 10 - with 10 being the least emotional -
Landry was a 9.
Grant was a 13.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I think the push to go "all in" on this board is a philosophy built on desperation. We are simple exhausted with the status quo. It's a gamble and sometimes worth it, but more often than not it fails.

The problem we've been up against is sustained mediocrity. At least if you go all in
you are forced to rebuild down the road.

That said, this is a young roster and maybe it's for the better we continue to see this through. Hard to argue against it at 7-3.

I agree luck is involved, but it's like poker. Luck favors the better prepared, more talented teams in the long run.
Yup, and it's the result of having a GM who runs the team like a FF team. He doesn't understand personnel.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I believe my views on the Jones's are well known on this forum.

I'm in a good mood and in the spirit of the Thanksgiving week, I will refrain from describing it.
I never gave up on a person's ability to determine his own destiny...and that includes Jerry Jones. And that is without prior stereotyping prejudice or hope unblimished each and every season. You know...a sport.