I Have Seen Some Poorly Written Polls

gbrittain

Reaction score
I have seen some poorly written polls before, but this one wins the grand prize.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

For those who do not want to bother clicking on it I will give you the poll. It goes like this verbatim:

Who is the best running back of the last 10 years?

Now get this...drum roll...your choices are:

Shaun Alexander
Terrell Davis
Marshall Faulk
LaDanian Tomlinson
Barry Sanders

If that is not a goofball poll, I have never seen one.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
*** ***** *** **** ***** *** ******* **** *** ********** **** ***** * *** ************* **** **** * ****** * ** * ************* ****

and that's all I have to say about this ****in bull**** poll.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
its espn what do you expect.... we know the truth. How can a player who has been in the league what 4 years be considered one of the best back the last ten years? ohwell

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm tempted to say LT off of that list.
Faulk was a great back but he was the bigger threat catching the ball out of the backfield.
Terrell Davis is the most overrated RB of all time. His OL opened bigger holes that were much more straight ahead than Emmitt's ever thought about. Most of TD's "great" runs looked like about anyone that can run with a football in a straight line would've made the same run. And I'd bet some money that he was on the juice.
Shaun Alexander is on my hugely overrated list. What did he do when it counted? He has no memorable performances in meaningful games. He rolls up stats and awards against teams like Arizona, Sanfran, and New Orleans.
Sanders was great but he had some flaws.
I guess Emmitt was so clearly better than those listed in the poll that they just used him as a given and wanted to compare these guys....
that's the only rational explanation.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
An ESPN bias is all that is. Nothing new to Cowboy fans.

Deane62

Reaction score
Not that i agree with them, but their thinking may be that Emmitt's really great years were before 1996.

That's the only possible explanation I can come up with.

AGAIN this is just what they may be thinking. I definitely think he belongs in contention for best in the last ten years.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Deane62 said:
Not that i agree with them, but their thinking may be that Emmitt's really great years were before 1996.

AGAIN this is just what they may be thinking. I definitely think he belongs in contention for best in the last ten years.

but when did barry sanders retire again?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
iceberg said:

Barry went out when he was still good though. in his last 3 years he had over 5000 yards. The 3 years included in the "last 10" were among his best seasons.

J-DOG

Reaction score
iceberg said:
Exactly!
I get so tired of people making the arguement of saying that Barry Sanders would have the all-time rushing record if he ran behind the Dallas offensive line.
Well I seem to remember our offensive line was not seen as anything special until Emmitt arrived.
Mark Tunei-converted from def. line.
Nate Newton-weight problems and was cut from the skins I believe before he came to us.
Stepnoski-Undersized center
Kevin Gogan-again was not seen as a blue chipper.
Eric Williams-this is the guy who really looked the part from the start. But still he was from a small school, but he was a good player right off the bat.
I also believe that Emmitt got the tough yards that Barry could not. You know the yards I'm talking about...the red-zone yards.
Did Emmitt have a great line to run behind????Yes.
But did Emmitt make that line better because of his talents???Yes.
Could you say the same about Barry Sanders?

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Deane62 said:

In 1996 he was 8th in the league in rushing, 1998, 5th, 1999 4th. He was in the top 5 in scoring tds in 1996, 98, 99. Top 10 in yrds from scrimmage in 1996 and 1998. Top 5 in in rushing tds in 96, 98 and 99, and 10 in 2000...

Don't pardon ESPN, they are a network ran by idiots and 49er apologists.

I have no issue with the folks on the list but to leave Emmitt off is beyond moronic.

Deane62

Reaction score
2233boys said:
In 1996 he was 8th in the league in rushing, 1998, 5th, 1999 4th. He was in the top 5 in scoring tds in 1996, 98, 99. Top 10 in yrds from scrimmage in 1996 and 1998. Top 5 in in rushing tds in 96, 98 and 99, and 10 in 2000...

Don't pardon ESPN, they are a network ran by idiots and 49er apologists.

I have no issue with the folks on the list but to leave Emmitt off is beyond moronic.

I agree I was just trying to come up with a possible explanation for leaving a back who was at least in the top two or three all-time off the list.