I know it's only one game, but...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Everytime we lose our first game of the year, I always feel like that was just our season going down the drain. I guess it's in part to all the offseason buildup and then having your heart ripped out in a matter of hours that leaves me deflated, but week 1 losses are always the worst, because I cannot shake this feeling of complete futility and the thought that our season is already over. I know it's irrational, but damnit, I cant help it.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
On the bright side, many teams lose in week one and go one to very successful seasons.

Case in Point:

Denver- humiliated by Miami 34-10 in week 1 last year.

They ended up going 13-3 and to the AFC title game

cowboys19

Reaction score
Seattle lost to Jacksonville in the opener last year, and looked like crap doing it.

all is not lost. dont kill yourself just yet

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
we lost week 1 in 2003 and we know how that turned out

joseephuss

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Everytime we lose our first game of the year, I always feel like that was just our season going down the drain. I guess it's in part to all the offseason buildup and then having your heart ripped out in a matter of hours that leaves me deflated, but week 1 losses are always the worst, because I cannot shake this feeling of complete futility and the thought that our season is already over. I know it's irrational, but damnit, I cant help it.

The 2003 Cowboys lost at home to the Falcons to open the season. That team played well in its final two pre-season games to give some hope for the season. After the loss, people were calling for the head of the QB after that game. They ended up making the playoffs that year. Or should I say, the QB led them to the playoffs. :lmao: :lmao2: :laugh2: :laugh1:

dguinta1

Reaction score
Anytime they lose it just suxors but at least it' only game one. Though honestly not too many teams have impressed me today. Falcons probably most impressive today.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Aikman said it best earlier this week.

There are 16 teams/fanbases that are thinking they'll never lose again. And there are 16 teams/fanbases now anticipating a winless year.

It sucks being in the latter.

gbrittain

Reaction score
All I know is this is not baseball. One game can be the difference at the very end of the season. That is what makes football so special.

What if Dallas loses next week? Ahh...it is only two games. No big deal. Unless you have something locked up, they are all a big deal and the sky is falling. That is the nature of football.

jesusphreak

Reaction score
I said it in another post and I'll say it again: I'd rather lose a few games at the beginning of the season, get things together, and finish off hot, rather than start off hot and fade down the stretch as we have done the past few years. Even the 2003 playoff team only made the playoffs because they started exceptionally well. They didn't end the season looking good.

dguinta1

Reaction score
Hey remember when the Boys lost their first two and then went on to the BiG Dance and won. Ya never know. Look at the Steelers last year, winning all road playoff games and the big one. "And that' why they play the game." Ya never know!:eek::

joseephuss

Reaction score
dguinta1 said:
Hey remember when the Boys lost their first two and then went on to the BiG Dance and won. Ya never know. Look at the Steelers last year, winning all road playoff games and the big one. "And that' why they play the game." Ya never know!:eek::

Aikman>>Bledsoe
Smith>>Jones
Irvin>Owens At least this one is close, the other two are not. And those are very good reasons why that Dallas team went on to win it all. I am not giving up by any means. I am just not as confident as I was in that 1993 season.

brucem78

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
All I know is this is not baseball. One game can be the difference at the very end of the season. That is what makes football so special.

What if Dallas loses next week? Ahh...it is only two games. No big deal. Unless you have something locked up, they are all a big deal and the sky is falling. That is the nature of football.

Case in point: Washington 14 Dallas 13 That game cost us a playoff spot last year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:

Washington was 5-6 at the halfway point, made the playoffs, you'd have to start 0-6 basically to have no shot of turning your season around

gbrittain

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Washington was 5-6 at the halfway point, made the playoffs, you'd have to start 0-6 basically to have no shot of turning your season around

True, but if you look at the NFL historically I think you would see most 5-6 teams do not end up in the Playoffs.

Plus, if Dallas had won that "insignificant" second game of the season, Washington would have started out 4-7 and no way they make the playoffs.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ok, but what does that have to do w/ losing the 1st game of the season?

and if we beat them in that 2nd meeting, and still lost the 1st, the Skins don't make the postseason