I laid into the defense last week

playmakers

Reaction score
And ripped the Phil Ivey lookalike, Brian Stewart, and our defense. I must say much better today. The secondary seemed more inspired this week and played a decent game. Im still not sold on Stewart yet. This scheme does not give our secondary a chance to make alot of plays. Its a defense that gives you yards under 10 and if a QB wanted to throw wr screens all day they probably could. We need to challenge a bit more with our DBs. By no means should we have a secondary of Jones, Hamlin, Jenkins, Newman and Henry to go 3 games without an int. I beileve Henry and Hamlin have had 5 or more picks in seasons past. Thats excatly why Im not sold. With the secondary I just mentioned and to not have any INTS, I think its time to look bigger picture as the problem rather than the player. In addition we need some consistency from some other guys on our defense like Spears, Canty, Tank, and even Bradie. These guys look like all-pros on certain weeks but on others you never hear their name. Ware, Ratilff, Ellis and Zach are consistent and you never have to worry which player will show up. But Im sure on every team they have players like this. We will see. In closing, as for this game I want to say good job to Stewart and the D.

Big D

Reaction score
Alot of people were critical. I'd like to know what it is about Stewart that people don't like. It had to be something that occurred in hard knocks but I've seen many posts crying about him and I don't understand why. This defense is good and getting better I would think Wade and Stewart should be given a little credit.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Frankly I like our pass defense. They problem why they aren't getting any INTs is because receivers are covered so most of the time the QBs are throwing short, dump off passes like today and in the Eagles game. WE played two very good offenses in a row and we are able to stop them when it counts. When was the last time our defense did that? Has everyone forgotten the days when teams had 4th and 15 and would make a play for the first down?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Big D;2277595 said:
Alot of people were critical. I'd like to know what it is about Stewart that people don't like. It had to be something that occurred in hard knocks but I've seen many posts crying about him and I don't understand why. This defense is good and getting better I would think Wade and Stewart should be given a little credit.
people(myself included) want/expect a very good defense since we have 8 1st round draft picks on defense and 5 of them are starters.

Big D

Reaction score
Rampage;2277607 said:
people(myself included) want/expect a very good defense since we have 8 1st round draft picks on defense and 5 of them are starters.

I think thats what we have. Lets enjoy!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Big D;2277595 said:
When one person says something about a person, then the rest of the world piles on. Luckily, I'm no follower.

playmakers

Reaction score
I think its still too early too open up the champagne on our defense being good. I agree with Rampage, with all that talent we should be dominate. I still say our gameplans are soft. The Eagles for example were complaining all week that they didnt blitz enough against us and were intimated to do so. In addition, that will never happen again. Today, they blitz the Steelers with 7 or more players on at least 65 percent of the plays and it lead to 9 sacks and several turnovers. Thats the agressiveness Im looking for. Their DB's were playing press coverage too. They win 15-6 and the Steelers have a solid offense. I also attribute some of our loss in the playoffs to the Giants being more aggressive on defense than us. Newman and Pac would elimante recievers if they were allowed to play like Woodsen and Harris. Other teams do it when they have the talent, but we play like we have alot of shaky players instead of 8 first round picks. All iM saying is challenge a bit more. Its not like if we screw up our offense would not make up for it.

playmakers

Reaction score
Clove, I can only speak for myself but Im not speaking bad about anybody because they like Stewart. Thats what this forum is for everyone's opinions. I do agree people get mad for not liking anothers opinion.

As for Stewart Ill give you an example why Im not a fan yet but it doesnt mean he cant win me over. Last week, Eagles driving on the Westbrook fumble drive. I think there was about 5 minutes left(give or take) and were losing. We need the ball back bad. Its 3rd and 3 and its a down that can either be a run or pass. Our DB's come out and play 10 yards off and Avant(maybe Baskett) just slants off the snap and get 5 yards and the first. If you can explain to me the design behind that call than Im all ears. That play is all on the coaching. The Eagles went up and down the field on us last week but we never adjusted. We came out and played the same corners 10 yards off etc etc. We were very lucky to win. We play scared way too much for the talent we have. Then again, Im not saying im right either, its just my opinion. If I had complaints they would be it.

Big D

Reaction score
playmakers;2277637 said:
I think its still too early too open up the champagne on our defense being good. I agree with Rampage, with all that talent we should be dominate. I still say our gameplans are soft. The Eagles for example were complaining all week that they didnt blitz enough against us and were intimated to do so. In addition, that will never happen again. Today, they blitz the Steelers with 7 or more players on at least 65 percent of the plays and it lead to 9 sacks and several turnovers. Thats the agressiveness Im looking for. Their DB's were playing press coverage too. They win 15-6 and the Steelers have a solid offense. I also attribute some of our loss in the playoffs to the Giants being more aggressive on defense than us. Newman and Pac would elimante recievers if they were allowed to play like Woodsen and Harris. Other teams do it when they have the talent, but we play like we have alot of shaky players instead of 8 first round picks. All iM saying is challenge a bit more. Its not like if we screw up our offense would not make up for it.

I don't think giving props on a job well done is going overboard. I agree with you on wanting to see aggressiveness but I think it more about picking your spots and so far Wade and co are doing ok.

As far as Philly goes, of course they'll blitz the crap out of the steelers because they don't have a qb who can move around and buy time to burn them with weapons like TO, Witten and Barber.

thewivil

Reaction score
Our secondary will get its interceptions. There was several that they should have had tonight, but they just didn't catch the ball - you can't blame that on the coach or the scheme. They just didn't hang on to the ball.

sk0aL

Reaction score
I think a lot of the criticism this defense has received has been undeserved, which some of you will find shocking.

Just look at the numbers:

Week 1: Only allow 10 points against the #8 ranked offense from last year.

Week 2: Only allow 23 points on 2 passing TDs (remember the eagles got 14 points off turnovers)

Week 3: Go into Lambeau and face a Green Bay team that only hosted the NFC Championship game last year, and make their QB who had been red hot look like the second stringer from last year, only allowing 1 pass TD in garbage time.

I'll take this defense any day.

robjgrif

Reaction score
I was much happier with the defensive performance this week as well. I have to admit I am somewhat concerned with Stewerts' ability to make improvements, but he did for this game. Also a better job on the penalties this week as well!

Daudr

Reaction score
Big D;2277595 said:

It was something on Hard Knocks - Stewart defended Roy Williams and all the haters on here can't handle it. Specifically, his comment was (paraphrased) "I've never seen a player with over 100 tackles given so much grief."

Big D

Reaction score
robjgrif;2277686 said:
I was much happier with the defensive performance this week as well. I have to admit I am somewhat concerned with Stewerts' ability to make improvements, but he did for this game. Also a better job on the penalties this week as well!

What was the reason for your concern?

Daudr;2277703 said:
It was something on Hard Knocks - Stewart defended Roy Williams and all the haters on here can't handle it. Specifically, his comment was (paraphrased) "I've never seen a player with over 100 tackles given so much grief."

:laugh2:

sk0aL;2277675 said:
I think a lot of the criticism this defense has received has been undeserved, which some of you will find shocking.

Week 2: Only allow 23 points on 2 passing TDs (remember the eagles got 14 points off turnovers)

Week 3: Go into Lambeau and face a Green Bay team that only hosted the NFC Championship game last year, and make their QB who had been red hot look like the second stringer from last year, only allowing 1 pass TD in garbage time.

Thank you.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd like to see us get a few picks, sure, but it's not like they haven't had any chances. Adam Jones has had at least two that he just didn't hold onto. The one in Cleveland when he nearly jumped that out route and then last night the one that sailed on Rodgers, and hit him right in the hands, and he missed it.

It happens. It's not like they haven't had chances we just haven't quite held onto those chances yet.

We've got Jason Campbell and Carson Palmer coming up and both of those guys are capable of throwing picks to this secondary this year.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2277606 said:
Frankly I like our pass defense. They problem why they aren't getting any INTs is because receivers are covered so most of the time the QBs are throwing short, dump off passes like today and in the Eagles game. WE played two very good offenses in a row and we are able to stop them when it counts. When was the last time our defense did that? Has everyone forgotten the days when teams had 4th and 15 and would make a play for the first down?

Opening day in San Diego back in '05??

FCBarca

Reaction score
Still don't like those schemes for the defense, especially the secondary laying off 10 yards like that...Fortunate for us that the Packers didn't try to dictate the game in the same fashion as Dallas did with the run...They continued to try and move the ball in the air and paid the price for it...Had the Packers dink'd and dunk'd it the way they did late in the game, it would've been tighter perhaps.

Kudos to the D-Line though...They really got some pressure in there last night...And it came from everyone.

Those safety blitzes with Henry were not only genius but timely as it led to sacks on each occasion

Roy wasn't missed last night, still.

playmakers

Reaction score
Big D, I agree with the fact of being more agressive and picking your spots. You pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0aL

Week 1: They might of been the 8th ranked offense last year but this year they flat out stink. They scored 10 against us, 6 against Pitt and 10 against the Ravens. Not exactly something to get excited about.

Week 2: The Eagles might of got 14 points off turnovers but the fact remains they walked up and down the field on us. If we play like that in the playoffs we wont even get close to the ultimate goal of the Superbowl.

Week 3: Much, much better. Lets start to improve from here and move on.

The only thing that concerns me from week 1 and 3 is the fact we were playing QB's that are young and the lack the total IQ of a veteran. When we played Mcnabb he knew where to go and when. Thats what you need to beat a zone defense. That concerns me if we play them in the playoffs or a Jake Delhomme or even Eli. Lets just improve week in and week out from here on out.