I Searched all NFL Teams Practice Squads, Larry Webster DE (carolina panthers)?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I searched all NFL Teams Practice Squads, Larry Webster at DE? (Carolina Panthers)
Larry Webster is listed at 6-6 275, with 4.58 in the 40. Was drafted by the Lions I believe, but was cut, then picked up by Carolina, as you all know, we picked up 2 players from the Panthers for our defensive tackles and defensive ends.

We need a pass rush, if we dont get one, I am afraid we wont get far in the playoffs, Webster was looked at TE some by scouts during the draft and if I am certain, the cowboys did look at webster some during the draft. Here is some more info on him. Do you think the cowboys might pick him up for our defensive line help? Remember, we got David Irving from the Chiefs Practice Squad. Larry Webster has had 2 years to grown now and improve, and the panthers are known for developing pretty good defensive linemen.

40 Yd

20 Yd 10 Yd 225 Bench Vertical jump Broad Shuttle 3-Cone Drill
4.58 2.63 1.58 17 36 1/2 10'3" 4.44 7.29
Player Overview

A four-year starter on the Bloomsburg basketball team, Webster had one year of eligibility remaining and decided to join the football team for the 2012 season, a sport he hadn't played since high school. He finished the season with a team-best 15.0 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks, adding an interception and 39 total tackles. Webster was selected to the All-PSAC Eastern Division first team.On the basketball court, Webster was named the PSAC Eastern Division Player of the Year for the 2011-12 season, finishing as the school's all-time career leader in blocks (175).
Webster's father, Larry Webster Jr., played 11 years in the NFL at defensive end. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the third round out of Maryland in 1992 and also suited up for the Browns, Ravens and Jets over his career, winning a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2001.
Strengths Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a tall, long frame and the growth potential to get stronger. Has good first step quickness to burst and change directions quickly with flexible ankles. Uses his long arms to make wrap tackles and finish. Has the athleticism and range to cover a large area and make plays in pursuit. Was very productive in his one season of football at the college level and impressed coaches with the way he quickly adapted to the game despite being away from the field for so long. He has a good work ethic and puts in the time to prepare and get better. As the father of an 11-year NFL veteran, he has athletic bloodlines and knows about the NFL process.WEAKNESSES: Needs to commit himself to the weight room and add bulk to his body. Needs to develop football strength as well, to hold up in the trenches and match up at the next level. His hip movements are a little stiff and he needs to do a better job breaking down in space. Needs to continue to develop his pass rush moves and learn how to better use his hands to protect his body and shed blocks. Will play too tall at times and needs to learn to use better leverage off the snap. Has only one full season of football experience under his belt since high school and lacks ideal experience, doing his damage at the Division II level.

NFL Comparison: Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals - Although he's not there yet, Webster has the frame and athleticism to develop into a similar pass rusher at the NFL level.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I searched all NFL Teams Practice Squads, Larry Webster at DE? (Carolina Panthers)
Larry Webster is listed at 6-6 275, with 4.58 in the 40. Was drafted by the Lions I believe, but was cut, then picked up by Carolina, as you all know, we picked up 2 players from the Panthers for our defensive tackles and defensive ends.

We need a pass rush, if we dont get one, I am afraid we wont get far in the playoffs, Webster was looked at TE some by scouts during the draft and if I am certain, the cowboys did look at webster some during the draft. Here is some more info on him. Do you think the cowboys might pick him up for our defensive line help? Remember, we got David Irving from the Chiefs Practice Squad. Larry Webster has had 2 years to grown now and improve, and the panthers are known for developing pretty good defensive linemen.

40 Yd

20 Yd 10 Yd 225 Bench Vertical jump Broad Shuttle 3-Cone Drill
4.58 2.63 1.58 17 36 1/2 10'3" 4.44 7.29
Player Overview

A four-year starter on the Bloomsburg basketball team, Webster had one year of eligibility remaining and decided to join the football team for the 2012 season, a sport he hadn't played since high school. He finished the season with a team-best 15.0 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks, adding an interception and 39 total tackles. Webster was selected to the All-PSAC Eastern Division first team.On the basketball court, Webster was named the PSAC Eastern Division Player of the Year for the 2011-12 season, finishing as the school's all-time career leader in blocks (175).
Webster's father, Larry Webster Jr., played 11 years in the NFL at defensive end. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the third round out of Maryland in 1992 and also suited up for the Browns, Ravens and Jets over his career, winning a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2001.
Strengths Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a tall, long frame and the growth potential to get stronger. Has good first step quickness to burst and change directions quickly with flexible ankles. Uses his long arms to make wrap tackles and finish. Has the athleticism and range to cover a large area and make plays in pursuit. Was very productive in his one season of football at the college level and impressed coaches with the way he quickly adapted to the game despite being away from the field for so long. He has a good work ethic and puts in the time to prepare and get better. As the father of an 11-year NFL veteran, he has athletic bloodlines and knows about the NFL process.WEAKNESSES: Needs to commit himself to the weight room and add bulk to his body. Needs to develop football strength as well, to hold up in the trenches and match up at the next level. His hip movements are a little stiff and he needs to do a better job breaking down in space. Needs to continue to develop his pass rush moves and learn how to better use his hands to protect his body and shed blocks. Will play too tall at times and needs to learn to use better leverage off the snap. Has only one full season of football experience under his belt since high school and lacks ideal experience, doing his damage at the Division II level.

NFL Comparison: Michael Johnson, DE, Cincinnati Bengals - Although he's not there yet, Webster has the frame and athleticism to develop into a similar pass rusher at the NFL level.

Interesting athlete, but he has been around the NFL for 2-1/2 years and is still on a practice squad. He was a college basketball player that played 1 or 2 years of football.

If the 46 man game day limit was bigger, you might see more guys like this get a shot to just come in and take a few snaps in pass rush situations where their lack of knowledge/instincts would not be a big problem, but with only 8 DL active on game day, these athletes need to more than just the raw athleticism.

Larry Webster
Height:
Weight: 252
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.44
3-Cone Drill: 7.29

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't think there are any genie in a bottle solutions, myself. Even in this analysis, this isn't someone who seems to hold promise for this season.

conner01

Reaction score
Looks interesting but who do you cut to make room for him
This is the time of year for stealing s guy or two and while they may not help much this year could be something down the road but injuries have us carrying too many not playing and that makes it hard

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I remember when Webster came out, loved him as a last day pick or UDFA but he is a pure project, think Rico Gathers. But he could explode under Marinelli as he is long, explosive and a hard worker. But Marinelli also places great emphasis on technique. Jimmy didn't care because he thought he could coach them up, he loved those uber athlete kind of players.

Would rather sign James Cowser (Raiders) or Victor Ochi (Jets), they were very productive in college albeit small schools but have more refined games. Real football players.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Looks interesting but who do you cut to make room for him
This is the time of year for stealing s guy or two and while they may not help much this year could be something down the road but injuries have us carrying too many not playing and that makes it hard

Wilber, Gachkar and Mayowa are next to worthless right now. And I can live without Dunbar or Keith Smith. And there are some guys that just need to go on IR already.

conner01

Reaction score
Wilber, Gachkar and Mayowa are next to worthless right now. And I can live without Dunbar or Keith Smith. And there are some guys that just need to go on IR already.
Who is on the roster you would put on IR

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
u might not have to cut anyone, some1 might be injured and have to go on IR. you never know might be worth a try to get some pass rush, or maybe ryan davis, he really hasnt done anything, and that will show other defensive linemen you had better put it in gear, or u might be next

Reactions: BAT

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't think there are any genie in a bottle solutions, myself. Even in this analysis, this isn't someone who seems to hold promise for this season.

Agreed. Either Lawrence suddenly gets hot, or Marinelli is forced out of his comfort zone.

conner01

Reaction score
Chaz Green
Nzeocha
Lael Collins
Green and Collins are probably gonna be ready to go by playoffs
Nzeocha I don't know what the deal is but green and Collins are worth more as depth than a guy who couldn't make two teams

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Raiders just activated James Cowser, at this point I'd rather take chance with Larry Webster (6-6 270 4.58, 26 sacks in 24 games) than continue holding on to Mayowa or Wilber.

Give me Davis Tull too (6-2 250 4.57 42 vert, 11 ft broad, 37 sacks in 4 seasons and 3 time SoCon DPOY) while we are at it. Both are RKGs on top of being freak athletes.