I spoke with Timmy Newsome today and...

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I spoke with Timmy Newsome today, and he said things were going well. I know Timmy through my father who was his running back coach at Winston-Salem State University in 1977-79. Timmy was the leading rusher as well as the all-time leading rusher in Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) history during that time. I believe it was 1979 when the Winston-Salem State football team won the NCAA Division II title. He came of over to our house in Winston-Salem on numerous occasions and is a close family friend.

In 1980, Timmy was the 162nd overall pick in the NFL draft, selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 6th round. In 1987 he led the Cowboys with a 4.8-yard rushing average, and the following season Newsome caught 30 passes for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns. In his eight-year career with the Cowboys, Newsome had 1,226 rushing yards, 1,196 receiving yards, 19 rushing touchdowns, and 11 receiving touchdowns. Ironically, he was back at Winston-Salem State University for the “CELEBRATION OF CHAMPIONS” homecoming weekend with my dad today.

Anyway, Timmy lives in Dallas and still follows the Cowboys. During our conversation, it seemed as if he was interviewing me rather than me asking him questions. He asked about my website, family, employment, “what made my brother and I become Cowboy fans, when our parents are Commander fans”, etc..

Timmy thinks the 2007 Cowboys are on the right track and the pieces are in place for the Cowboys to get to their ninth Superbowl. He stressed that no other team has accomplished getting to eight Superbowls.

Timmy mentioned how my dad had significant influence in getting the “injury report rule” established in the NCAA which eventually caught on in the NFL. Prior to this rule, certain teams use to take advantage of hiding injuries from their opponents and how they used it as a part of their game plan. This lead into a discussion about his thoughts on Coach Belichick, but I will not disclose his answer. Sorry.

The final thought he wanted to leave me with is that "the Cowboys will always be America's Team". There is something about that "star" that draws America's interest to this team. He believes that the "star" is probably the most known icon in the world. He told me that all the Cowboy fans should hang in there because the Cowboys are very close.

The Gryphon
for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i always liked timmy newsome... very good personality and could catch and run as you stated.

he was a great blocker as well.

thanks for the post...

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I always liked Timmy too. I'm from Winston as well, so I always had a hometown interest in his career.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gryphon;1741023 said:
I spoke with Timmy Newsome today, and he said things were going well. I know Timmy through my father who was his running back coach at Winston-Salem State University in 1977-79. Timmy was the leading rusher as well as the all-time leading rusher in Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) history during that time. I believe it was 1979 when the Winston-Salem State football team won the NCAA Division II title. He came of over to our house in Winston-Salem on numerous occasions and is a close family friend.
Your Dad coached under Bill Hayes? That's cool.

I remember the name only because I lived in Winston Salem in 1994, my respect for Timmy Newsome and the respect I have for "Big House" Gaines. Did you ever meet him? I hope you don't mind me asking.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Timmy is the most under rated full back in Cowboys history. Ask for the best and the replies are Johnston, Newhouse, Perkins and Garrison. Timmy was probably the best all around full back. That doesn't make him the best full back, but he was very good in every skill. His blocking was just a notch below Moose's, but he could do more with the ball than Moose. He wasn't quite the runner as the other guys, but they could not block as well as him.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Hostile;1741450 said:
Your Dad coached under Bill Hayes? That's cool.

I remember the name only because I lived in Winston Salem in 1994, my respect for Timmy Newsome and the respect I have for "Big House" Gaines. Did you ever meet him? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I was at work today.

I do not recall meeting Clarence "Big House" Gaines. I was 11 or 12 at the time. However, I remember hanging out with Bill Haye's son at their house at least once a month. The Hayes and my parents are good friends.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gryphon;1741920 said:
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I was at work today.

I do not recall meeting Clarence "Big House" Gaines. I was 11 or 12 at the time. However, I remember hanging out with Bill Haye's son at their house at least once a month. The Hayes and my parents are good friends.
Man, that is so cool. I remember reading about Hayes when we drafted Timmy and something he said in an interview about him sparked my interest. Then I learned about "Big House" and the whole time I lived in Winston Salem I wanted to meet him, but never did.

I lived near downtown on Spring Street. Every Wednesday at lunch time there was a concert in the amphitheater downtown. Blues, bluegrass, ragtime, you name it. man, that was so much fun. I really enjoyed my time there. Got to play hoops against Mugsy Bogues. He slaughtered me. I had bragged that no one that short would beat me. My foot tasted awful.

I still love Bojangles biscuits from my time in NC. Great people everywhere there. It was a fun time in my life.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Hostile;1742028 said:
Man, that is so cool. I remember reading about Hayes when we drafted Timmy and something he said in an interview about him sparked my interest. Then I learned about "Big House" and the whole time I lived in Winston Salem I wanted to meet him, but never did.

I lived near downtown on Spring Street. Every Wednesday at lunch time there was a concert in the amphitheater downtown. Blues, bluegrass, ragtime, you name it. man, that was so much fun. I really enjoyed my time there. Got to play hoops against Mugsy Bogues. He slaughtered me. I had bragged that no one that short would beat me. My foot tasted awful.

I still love Bojangles biscuits from my time in NC. Great people everywhere there. It was a fun time in my life.

Yea, alot of great memories. I believe we lived on Lewisville-Clemons Rd just outside of Winston-Salem. Besides being the RB coach at WSSU, my dad was a ROTC instructor at both Wake Forest and Winston-Salem State campuses. My brother and I got to see quite a few games at both schools. Lots of good memories.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
lane;1741288 said:
hello king..

what's happening tonight?

Not much Lane. Been watching a lot of college football today. Hope things are going well for you.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Gryphon;1741023 said:

In 1980, Timmy was the 162nd overall pick in the NFL draft, selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 6th round. In 1987 he led the Cowboys with a 4.8-yard rushing average, and the following season Newsome caught 30 passes for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns. In his eight-year career with the Cowboys, Newsome had 1,226 rushing yards, 1,196 receiving yards, 19 rushing touchdowns, and 11 receiving touchdowns. Ironically, he was back at Winston-Salem State University for the “CELEBRATION OF CHAMPIONS” homecoming weekend with my dad today.

Anyway, Timmy lives in Dallas and still follows the Cowboys. During our conversation, it seemed as if he was interviewing me rather than me asking him questions. He asked about my website, family, employment, “what made my brother and I become Cowboy fans, when our parents are Commander fans”, etc..

Timmy thinks the 2007 Cowboys are on the right track and the pieces are in place for the Cowboys to get to their ninth Superbowl. He stressed that no other team has accomplished getting to eight Superbowls.

Timmy mentioned how my dad had significant influence in getting the “injury report rule” established in the NCAA which eventually caught on in the NFL. Prior to this rule, certain teams use to take advantage of hiding injuries from their opponents and how they used it as a part of their game plan. This lead into a discussion about his thoughts on Coach Belichick, but I will not disclose his answer. Sorry.

The final thought he wanted to leave me with is that "the Cowboys will always be America's Team". There is something about that "star" that draws America's interest to this team. He believes that the "star" is probably the most known icon in the world. He told me that all the Cowboy fans should hang in there because the Cowboys are very close.

The Gryphon
for more updates visit http://gryphononcowboys.blogspot.com/

Loved Timmy Newsome. Never forget that overtime win against the Buccanners,, I can still see him running down the sidelines to paydirt. He was an awesome Cowboy