I still think people are forgetting ILB

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In all the mocks and analysis and BSing :) we do, I still think people are forgetting how badly we need ILB. Like him or not, Spencer is a still a young first rounder who the coaches like enough to start at OLB. Sensabaugh might be a stop -gap, but for this year he's a capable and young experienced starter at S. Obviously Canty was replaced with Olshansky at DE.

But at ILB, we're hurting badly. I love Brooking's attitude and professionalism and the way he has Wade's back, but he's older now and it's pretty much unanimous that he's lost a step to a step and a half.

And Bobby can't play a lick - I think that's obvious. If Keith got hurt, it would be truly disastrous. I mean, wreck your team kind of disastrous.

Maybe Brooking has more left in the tank than I think, but I believe we're almost over a barrel here. You don't want to ever reach for a position, but I think one of our first two picks almost HAS to be an ILB.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I do think we will pick up an ILB in the draft. Would you trade up to get Rey if he fell into the 2nd, not even thinking that he would have much of a chance to do that but just curious.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2740281 said:
In all the mocks and analysis and BSing :) we do, I still think people are forgetting how badly we need ILB. Like him or not, Spencer is a still a young first rounder who the coaches like enough to start at OLB. Sensabaugh might be a stop -gap, but for this year he's a capable and young experienced starter at S. Obviously Canty was replaced with Olshansky at DE.

But at ILB, we're hurting badly. I love Brooking's attitude and professionalism and the way he has Wade's back, but he's older now and it's pretty much unanimous that he's lost a step to a step and a half.

And Bobby can't play a lick - I think that's obvious. If Keith got hurt, it would be truly disastrous. I mean, wreck your team kind of disastrous.

Maybe Brooking has more left in the tank than I think, but I believe we're almost over a barrel here. You don't want to ever reach for a position, but I think one of our first two picks almost HAS to be an ILB.

I agree with you 100%. ILB was recognized as one of the biggest need at the end of last season but lately people just don't seem to put that much emphasis on it on their mocks. Brookings is a great sign but it is temporary and we are extremely thin at the position.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Lb'er is a need but IMO not our biggest need. IMO oline is our biggest need LT and LG to be exact.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2740281 said:

We're obviously too thin at ILB. At least it's a position where you can usually plug a veteran and scheme around them if you have to. Who's still out there in FA if we have to go that route?

Woods

Reaction score
I think this is generally a weak class for ILB, but I think we both Kruger and Veikune could play ILB in Wade's scheme. Freeman is also projected as a 2nd rounder.

In the 3rd/4th, we could look at Beckwith.

Then, of course, there are several guys in the 4th (Brinkley), and also guys like Follet (sp?) in the 4th/5th who could play there. (I think we liked Follet.)

Finally, maybe Appleby (sp?) from Virginia could be drafted in the later rounds for ILB?

Worst case, maybe we look at guys like Polk again or bring in another FA.

reddyuta

Reaction score
yes -goose was alluding to that fact that it is a weak LB class-i eouldnt force an early ILB pick unless there is real value.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Idgit;2740323 said:
We're obviously too thin at ILB. At least it's a position where you can usually plug a veteran and scheme around them if you have to. Who's still out there in FA if we have to go that route?

I don't know... I've wondered about that myself but I'm not sure who is on the street that can actually play. When I do try to google around, it seems like every listing I find is old or has so many obvious mistakes that I doubt the whole list.

Maybe this Stewart can still play some, but I don't know how good he'd be at this point. And I think he's more a backup for Bradie anyway.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
well, i say take jason williams, and put him at inside linebacker, let bradie james play the inside strong linebacker and jason williams is very fast, and can be the quick elusive coverage type linebacker; he can also is very big good size for a linebacker,
remember he caused a lot of fumbles with big hits

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Huge fan of Jason Williams too. But he has drawn a ton of interest and may be overdrafted. Does Jerry take him w/69? Because he may not be available in the 4th.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2740577 said:
Huge fan of Jason Williams too. But he has drawn a ton of interest and may be overdrafted. Does Jerry take him w/69? Because he may not be available in the 4th.

Bat, as youve probably read, the cowboys are interested in james casey, but he is suppose to go at bottom of 3rd, so what you could do is trade the high spot in 3rd, down a little, say 6 to 12 spots, recoup that 3rd and possibly another 3rd and 5th or 6th rounder. Because the cowboys 3rd is the 5th slot at the top of the 3rd round, as you probably know. Then, you could take a james casey, and another top round player in 3rd, and you would still have your 2 fourth rounders. Dont forget the cowboys have the top 4th overall from detroit, so that maybe tradeable down allittle too.

dont get greedy you know, if your afraid someone is going to take a player you love because of trading down too much, dont do it, just use good common sense, and let the draft come to you.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
That's a great plan Joe. You are right about our options with the high 3rd and 4th rounders. My concern is Miami. They pick twice before Dallas' pick at 69, and they are also super high on Casey.

Casey may not fall out of the 2nd, although smokescreens are a blowin' at this time so who knows.

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
I like Veikune, Worrell Williams, Scott McKillop and Jason Phillips for us at ILB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Brinkley, Phillips, McKillop...any of them might be nice adds and can probably be had in the 4th or 5th rd.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
No one will disagree about LB being a likely top 3 need for the team. However, after the top 2 ILB's it's not the best crop of talents. Might be better off just making do with what we have this year and address it next year.

Beckwith/Brinkley/Williams/Ellerbe all have some fleas.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Jason Williams is a perfect fit in our 3-4 system. We need a guy that can run sideline to sideline and can make plays against RB's and TE's. Not just a guy that cleans up after 5-10 yard gains, like Thomas did last year and Brooking will do this year.

Think Jon Beason/Patrick Willis...only bigger!