I think we should sign Sam Adams to back up Ferg and draft a DT

dannyboy

Reaction score
I think we should sign Sam Adams to back up Ferg and draft a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round in replace Ferg down the road, It takes DT at least two years to get up to speed. Ferg has 4 years left on his contract. We can waive him later on

Thoughts?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If he'd sign a backup contract and accept the backup role yes without a doubt.

ghst187

Reaction score
dannyboy said:
I think we should sign Sam Adams to back up Ferg and draft a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round in replace Ferg down the road, It takes DT at least two years to get up to speed. Ferg has 4 years left on his contract. We can waive him later on

Thoughts?

certainly wouldn't hurt and it doesn't sound like teams are beating Sam's door down to sign him so he might come cheap too. Definitely gives us a lot of beef to rotate at the NG position.
I'm not sold on drafting a DT on day 1 when we need a day 1 FS, LB, OL, and maybe WR. Day 2 DT, yes.

sago1

Reaction score
Am concerned about signing Adams & then drafting another NT. What happens to Pepper Johnson, a UFA we signed last year that Parcells is so high on? He was only activated for 1 game late last year but looked pretty good in the few series he played in.

Don't expect any more FA signings before the draft, but I do think they will then sign 1-3 more FAs to fill in any gaps unable to address in the draft. It's also possible other teams may cut a few more vets after the draft.

For example, why sign FS Marcus Coleman now if we able to draft FS Jason Allen or Ko Simpson; we could then sign Coleman (if we want) as a backup at a decent price. Doubt we draft DT/NT on first day given our needs, but 2nd day more likely; if unable to do so, Sam Adams would be a good pickup.

BTW: If we allow Tucker to go to either Bucs or Falcons, we need another OT to replace him who can backup Adams (maybe some day replace him). Colombo could also be a big option at either RT/LT but he's a long shot (haven't heard anything about his rehab since mid Jan). At this point, we only have Adams/Kosier/Johnson/Riveria/Fabini with backups of Peterman, Pettiti, Gurode & Colombo(?). That's 9 and Parcells usually carries 9-10 OL; I think we should make an effort to improve our backups since we must all assume at least 1 OL player will get hurt. Besides Gurode won't be here in 07 if he can't start at C this year.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
If Sam Adams becomes unavailable, what about Grady Jackson (if he hasn't signed with anyone yet)? I know he has had problems with fluctuating weight and that at his age (33), his metabolism is starting to slow down, but he's tubby like Adams and finally managed a full season last year after a few injury-prone ones.

doomsday81

Reaction score
Grady Jackson signed yesterday with the Falcons I believe and Adams is close to signing with the Browns.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I disagree it takes 2 years to get up to speed on being a pro NT. It's not rocket science. Steve Fifta in the 5th and call it a day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think that backup positions on the line are better for young guys. I'd like to see what Johnson can do there -- he looked alright when he played a bit last year. I'd be shocked if we didn't find a big NT in rounds 3-7

ghst187

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I think that backup positions on the line are better for young guys. I'd like to see what Johnson can do there -- he looked alright when he played a bit last year. I'd be shocked if we didn't find a big NT in rounds 3-7

I'd give big Sam 2 mil a year since we have like 10-13 left. I like Pepper a lot too but I'd hate to see Fergi go down and have to rely on Pepper J to anchor us for 16 games. Teams would run up the middle on us all day. Adams is great insurance. Doesn't hurt to have 3 guys there, its the hub of the DL. Can't stuff the middle, you can't stop the run. You can't stop the run, then you can't stop any team's offense.

Although I like Watson, I don't think he's a good pick for us considering he'll go somewhere in the second. We need a second round FS or OL or LB. Ngata has too much knee injury history for my tastes. I think we'll definitely look at a big clogger on day 2 though. And I think we should even if we signed a guy like Adams. Will need some youth there. Even if we got Adams, Fergi is old, Adams is older, and Pepper can't do it alone.
I expect us to get a NT somewhere in the draft or UDFA, just not day 1.