I think you have to put this loss on the offense

jesusphreak

Reaction score
Now that sounds really strange after seeing the Pats put up 48 points and the 'Boys put up 27.

However, the reason I say this is because the offense was just so ineffective in the first half. The defense was not perfect, but they got quite a bit of pressure and even scored points. The defense was able to limit the Pats somewhat in the first half, the problem was that they were out there way too long due to the Cowboys offense doing nothing.

When the second half rolled around, the defense had already been on the field for some time and they simply couldn't keep it up. Not to mention the offense with the exception of a drive in the 3rd quarter wasn't all that effective then either.

I think the defense looked a lot worse than it is because of this simple fact. If the Cowboys' offense will sustain drives in the first half then we can beat anyone in this league, including the Patriots.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The defense was on the field so much because they couldn't get off. Did you see us stop a third down?

jesusphreak

Reaction score
theogt;1710298 said:
The defense was on the field so much because they couldn't get off. Did you see us stop a third down?

The Cowboys offense had what, 3 possession before even getting a first down?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jesusphreak;1710301 said:
The Cowboys offense had what, 3 possession before even getting a first down?
Point being? The defense couldn't get them the ball, until after the Patriots scored.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
jesusphreak;1710294 said:
Now that sounds really strange after seeing the Pats put up 48 points and the 'Boys put up 27.

However, the reason I say this is because the offense was just so ineffective in the first half. The defense was not perfect, but they got quite a bit of pressure and even scored points. The defense was able to limit the Pats somewhat in the first half, the problem was that they were out there way too long due to the Cowboys offense doing nothing.

When the second half rolled around, the defense had already been on the field for some time and they simply couldn't keep it up. Not to mention the offense with the exception of a drive in the 3rd quarter wasn't all that effective then either.

I think the defense looked a lot worse than it is because of this simple fact. If the Cowboys' offense will sustain drives in the first half then we can beat anyone in this league, including the Patriots.

Completely agree. We scored 20 offensive points, killed ourselves with penalties, and got dominated in T.O.P.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I think our offense could have HELPED some, but the primary reason that our defense was on the field so much was the fact that on 3rd down, the Patriots bent us over. Period. End of story. You can't end drives unless you can stop an offense.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
This game was all on the defense they made one play that mattered all game the fumble recovery that was it. They gave up like 90% on 3rd down even 3rd and 15 was an easy 1st down for the Pats

The secondary looked like a jv team out there. Not one safety or cb made one play on the ball all they did was play way off and let guys make plays run free down the field etc etc.

The defense had 2 off side penalties to keep drives alive on top of letting the pats do what ever they wanted in the passing game.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Ok first lets take off the garbage 7 points the Pats scored. That just doesnt count at all as far as we're talking.

So we lost 27-41.

We're down 24-31 when MBIII's 4th down run gets called back. I honestly think that play lost us the game. We were driving and had we scored, we tie the game up. Instead, we punt and they go down and score to go up 14.

With the defense on the field the whole game, I thought they played very well. Especially considering this is the best offense in the league. That being said the 3rd down conversions MUST stop. That was embarrassing.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
there is no point in looking for an area to lay blame.

The pats are going to do and have done that same thing to everyone they play and will play.

Sometimes you just have to realize you are outmanned. Tonight we were, if we could have cut down on the penalties we might have pushed this to a last possesion and maybe even won.

There is no need to get crazy with this loss though, its a non conference game that in 3 weeks no one will talk about.

The toughest part of our schedule is coming in two weeks and we need to win those games.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
theebs;1710323 said:

The pats are going to do and have done that same thing to everyone they play and will play.

Sometimes you just have to realize you are outmanned. Tonight we were, if we could have cut down on the penalties we might have pushed this to a last possesion and maybe even won.

There is no need to get crazy with this loss though, its a non conference game that in 3 weeks no one will talk about.

The toughest part of our schedule is coming in two weeks and we need to win those games.

Great post and well put.

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1710323 said:

We actually cut down on the penalties quite a bit the last 2 weeks-to me, with all the hype surrounding this game, it seemed like the players looked uptight.

If you ask me, this was HARDLY a playoff-type atmosphere, just 2 non-conference teams playing one another, big WHOOP!

With that being said-Dallas looked like they thought it was a playoff-type game, the Pats just looked very business-like. It's no surprise the latter came out on top.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i dont put it on the O. you say that we had 3 three and outs to start the game, but if i remember correctly we had a lead in the second half. the defense's inability to stop them on third and long was what cost us the game imo