I thought building offensive lines was supposed to be a Bill Parcells strength

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
Its far too early to tell on most of these guys

Peterman- Has shown some good things, but hasn't really been given a chance yet. Give him two more years as a solid backup before you expect him to play.

Rogers- Has dissapointed some with his decision to have surgery, but he was going to start(and looking very good) in just his second year in the NFL. He will start at right tackle this year unless we sign a good tackle(runyan, ashworth).

Pettiti- Has shown me great things! He came in as a rooking started 16 games which for our team is a miracle, cuz we love injuries. Give him two or three more years and I certainly think he will be a probowler.

Rivera- He was dominant in Green Bay where he had complete control of the system, just wait untill he is healthy(back), and knows our system(this season cuz the dude is smart). Rivera will dominate!

I remember one guy we signed in parcells first year he was a tackle from the jets and he just got hurt and had knee problems, a disaster.

give parcells picks some time i expect most to mature it takes linemen some time.

Oh hell, you're right!! I totally forgot about Ryan Young!! It just gets worse. :bang2:

In Bill's defense, I don't think he knew Rivera and Young's bodies were going to break down but I think that was one of the big reasons why folks were yelling for Wahle over Rivera. The body just doesn't take well to the pounding as the years goes on.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Typhus said:
Look, no disrespect, but what I feel alot of people are missing out on is precisely the fact that Kosier played the "utility" role.

The label "utility" doesnt mean that Kosier was a marginal player, but quite the opposite, in that he had the physical and mental capacity to be played wherever the Mooch needed him.

A guy like Kosier in BP's world is more of a comodity in the sence that you can keep one less OL, and one more LB'r.

I won't disagree with you at all. Solid, solid backup who can maybe allow us to dress more guys at other positions and not worry as much about depth on the line. I just think we need some maulers as starters. I miss the days of Big E, Larry in his prime, Nate, and the rest. :(

burmafrd

Reaction score
Whooooaaaaa!!!
I don't think Pettiti will ever make the Pro Bowl- but he might be good.
ROGERS has to prove he has some stones to play with pain and stick it out.
Peterman has shown NOTHING at all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I won't disagree with you at all. Solid, solid backup who can maybe allow us to dress more guys at other positions and not worry as much about depth on the line. I just think we need some maulers as starters. I miss the days of Big E, Larry in his prime, Nate, and the rest. :(

Trick,, I do too, but we cant live in the past, we have to deal with what is on the plate, and whats on the plate this FA, was a nice big fat juicy porter house in LeCharles Bentley for a nice chunk of change, or you could still fill your appetite with a nice T-Bone in Kosier, and still have enough change left over for some cheesecake.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
A lot of the younger players have no idea that this is a storied franchise.
And they could care less. Todays players are interested only in the money. They'll play for Satan's Marauders if the $$$ is right.
Only the fans care about the "storied franchise" bit, and only Dallas' fans, at that.
Me? I'm interested in fairly young, talented players with good character.
I don't care about Bill's new house in upstate New York. I want a winner!
I don't care that he is going to retire soon. I want some semblance of a team left when he DOES retire!
I don't care if he is egotistical. I want a good Offensive Coordinator!
I don't care if he used to have great offensive lines. I want one now!
I dont care if he thinks his former players are great. I want great players!
I don't care if he's won a Super Bowl or two. What are you doing now?
And so on........

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Typhus said:
Trick,, I do too, but we cant live in the past, we have to deal with what is on the plate, and whats on the plate this FA, was a nice big fat juicy porter house in LeCharles Bentley for a nice chunk of change, or you could still fill your appetite with a nice T-Bone in Kosier, and still have enough change left over for some cheesecake.

When's lunch?

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Typhus said:
A guy like Kosier in BP's world is more of a comodity in the sence that you can keep one less OL.
Yeah, but what if Kosier gets hurt or underperforms? Then you've lost the equivalent of TWO offensive linemen! (just the pessimistic view....)
Bill had best be right on this one.....

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Just a thought.
If....."It all starts with the O-line".....WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET STARTED?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Wow! I've never seen so many people with such a general lack of knowledge expound their "expertise" on a subject that they know so little about in my life.

First of all, to all the Bill bashers: you must have enjoyed the days of Dave Campo and 5-11 seasons with absolutely no hope for the future. I'm not sure if you realize this, but the signing of Parcells didn't guarantee any one of us a Super Bowl appearance/victory. If it did there's a chance that we wouldn't have even been in the running to hire him. Parcells is the most legit coach the Cowboys have had since Jimmy Johnson, yet all I'm hearing is that Parcells doesn't have a clue...from yet another message board roaming "expert". Bill has hit on some things around here and he's missed on some things. Just like.......gasp..........every other coach in the entire league. For every low round success in the league there are 100 low round failures.

And, as far as Rob Petitti goes he was, in a little way, a success. If for nothing else than the experience that he/we gained. Was his performance less than desirable? Sure! We all wanted better, but better wasn't on the roster! No one could have predicted that Rivera would injure himself and struggle throughout the year. Most Cowboy fans were ecstatic that we were getting Rivera and the leadership he would bring to the O-line. This year he's crap and we could have gotten one player for him another "career backup". As far as that career back up goes, if you have the resources, go back and look at how that "career backup" handled our boy Demarcus Ware during the Lions game. Kosier was moved to LT during that game due to an injury and the guy that some of you have appointed as the next GOD became a non-factor because of this "nobody career backup". But, never mind that, he wasn't a big name overpaid FA so he must be crap. And while we are on the subject of overpaid lineman, how about our own Larry Allen? 7 million dollars for the production we are getting out of Larry Allen are you kidding me? Yet some of you will say that he's the "only solid piece to the o-line that we have". Well that's neat, but keep in mind that the cap hit we take for him precludes us from dumping ***loads of money on these guys that some are crying rivers about not getting (LeCharles Bently rings a bell)

I also hear some rumblings of why we didn't draft some O-linemen high in the draft in previous years. WOW! What a fantastic idea! So now we can kiss goodbye Terrance Newman or Ware or Spears or, how about Whitten, see ya later Jullius Jones? Rogers and Peterman looked like very good draft picks at the time. Who knew that Rogers would end up being such a p*ssy or that Peterman wouldn't find a different position to play (make no mistake: Peterman sits because Larry Allen is still on the roster). And, while we're all busy patting Larry Allen on the ***, maybe we could ask him if he's going to start dominating opponents as his contract would suggest because if what he's been doing lately is called dominating then I guess we have a different idea of what domination is. And, if he's got enough "team" in him maybe he would restructure his contract to match the levle of his play. We all talk a lot of ***** about the Commanders (and as well we should we arer Cowboys fans), but half of their roster was heading into the front office to resrtucture deals to put themselves in a postition to compete this year. I have and always will hate the Skins, but as a sports fan in general (especially in these "show me the money" days) that was a pretty class act by a group of guys that truly veiwed themselves as a TEAM. A little bit of that mentality would go a long way around Valley Ranch..........and maybe in the fan clubs as well.
:star:
Peace,

SS

Z-Man

Reaction score
I'll say it again:
Johnson,Rogers,Petitti,Rivera,Peterman.....
not a good record.
Flozell and Larry were from the crappy Lacewell and J. Jones drafting days.

Having Lacewell & Co. outperforming you in talent acquisitions is horrible. And Parcells knowing how pathetic the O-Line was last year and knowing upgrading it was a #1 priority this year better damn well know Kosier will pan out.

I'm also starting to think they won't even upgrade at tackle and just let Petitti have it by default, much like Keith Davis at FS last year. BP better have this O-Line playing well or else.......

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
skinsscalper said:
Wow! I've never seen so many people with such a general lack of knowledge expound their "expertise" on a subject that they know so little about in my life.

First of all, to all the Bill bashers: you must have enjoyed the days of Dave Campo and 5-11 seasons with absolutely no hope for the future. I'm not sure if you realize this, but the signing of Parcells didn't guarantee any one of us a Super Bowl appearance/victory. If it did there's a chance that we wouldn't have even been in the running to hire him. Parcells is the most legit coach the Cowboys have had since Jimmy Johnson, yet all I'm hearing is that Parcells doesn't have a clue...from yet another message board roaming "expert". Bill has hit on some things around here and he's missed on some things. Just like.......gasp..........every other coach in the entire league. For every low round success in the league there are 100 low round failures.

And, as far as Rob Petitti goes he was, in a little way, a success. If for nothing else than the experience that he/we gained. Was his performance less than desirable? Sure! We all wanted better, but better wasn't on the roster! No one could have predicted that Rivera would injure himself and struggle throughout the year. Most Cowboy fans were ecstatic that we were getting Rivera and the leadership he would bring to the O-line. This year he's crap and we could have gotten one player for him another "career backup". As far as that career back up goes, if you have the resources, go back and look at how that "career backup" handled our boy Demarcus Ware during the Lions game. Kosier was moved to LT during that game due to an injury and the guy that some of you have appointed as the next GOD became a non-factor because of this "nobody career backup". But, never mind that, he wasn't a big name overpaid FA so he must be crap. And while we are on the subject of overpaid lineman, how about our own Larry Allen? 7 million dollars for the production we are getting out of Larry Allen are you kidding me? Yet some of you will say that he's the "only solid piece to the o-line that we have". Well that's neat, but keep in mind that the cap hit we take for him precludes us from dumping ***loads of money on these guys that some are crying rivers about not getting (LeCharles Bently rings a bell)

I also hear some rumblings of why we didn't draft some O-linemen high in the draft in previous years. WOW! What a fantastic idea! So now we can kiss goodbye Terrance Newman or Ware or Spears or, how about Whitten, see ya later Jullius Jones? Rogers and Peterman looked like very good draft picks at the time. Who knew that Rogers would end up being such a p*ssy or that Peterman wouldn't find a different position to play (make no mistake: Peterman sits because Larry Allen is still on the roster). And, while we're all busy patting Larry Allen on the ***, maybe we could ask him if he's going to start dominating opponents as his contract would suggest because if what he's been doing lately is called dominating then I guess we have a different idea of what domination is. And, if he's got enough "team" in him maybe he would restructure his contract to match the levle of his play. We all talk a lot of ***** about the Commanders (and as well we should we arer Cowboys fans), but half of their roster was heading into the front office to resrtucture deals to put themselves in a postition to compete this year. I have and always will hate the Skins, but as a sports fan in general (especially in these "show me the money" days) that was a pretty class act by a group of guys that truly veiwed themselves as a TEAM. A little bit of that mentality would go a long way around Valley Ranch..........and maybe in the fan clubs as well.
:star:
Peace,

SS

Valium does miracles. ;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yes we have had problems on the O line. FOR a long time. Since about 1999 as a matter of fact. BP has had problems there as well- BUT he has rebuilt the D, and outside of the O line the O as well. So there are a whole lot more +'s then -'s overall. NOW we take care of the O line- but not all at once. This will take a year or two. Our bad luck cannot last forever.