I thought I would try this here...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
... since the IT guys in the company I work for have no idea.

It's about my corporate e-mail account. I seem to get the odd legitimate message, but when I decide to forward it to another fellow worker up pops up some solicitation ad instead of the original e-mail I wanted to forward.

Anyone have any ideas what this is all about?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davidyee said:

It's about my corporate e-mail account. I seem to get the odd legitimate message, but when I decide to forward it to another fellow worker up pops up some solicitation ad instead of the original e-mail I wanted to forward.

Well...off the top of my head I would say virus or trojan going on there....but normally they send out emails by themselves instead as another email.

Run the normal programs, virus and spyware ones and see what you get.

If it is not that then I have no clue. :(

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I agree with BP. Download and install microsofts spyware removal and run a virus scan on your pc and your IT guys might want to check the server also.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Well...off the top of my head I would say virus or trojan going on there....but normally they send out emails by themselves instead as another email.

...impressed with our guys in IT. There seems to be a secretive screen around what they do, but we fight with issues like this with no answers from them.

I'm not sure what larger companies do with the issue of virus or trojans, but the company line is always "run your Symantec". I don't mind following the company line, but there has to be a reasonable resolution to the issues.

Just a rant.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
davidyee said:
...impressed with our guys in IT. There seems to be a secretive screen around what they do, but we fight with issues like this with no answers from them.

I'm not sure what larger companies do with the issue of virus or trojans, but the company line is always "run your Symantec". I don't mind following the company line, but there has to be a reasonable resolution to the issues.

Just a rant.

Well with emails it normally is one of the issues I said and also normally the best way to deal with that is by running those programs...just make sure your symantec is updated.

Not many other things that I heard that would mess up your email....now not getting attachments when you are getting your email can normally be fixed in microsoft....but sending out random emails without you sending them is usually a virus or trogan.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Brain you forgot to tell him that if he doesn't use a Trojan he could get a virus. :D

Sorry, Just had to.

Carry on.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cajuncowboy said:
Brain you forgot to tell him that if he doesn't use a Trojan he could get a virus. :D

Sorry, Just had to.

Carry on.

Booo :whip:

;)

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
davidyee said:
Did I just hear you say that the guys in your IT department should come under suspicion?

Perhaps they experimenting with you for future hacking endeavors.

An IT department without any accountability? Hmmmm.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
davidyee said:

If you don't mind me asking, what's your mail app - Outlook? Lotus? Also can you describe what the message says?

As far as Corporate companies, I work in a national corporation with training centers and not a month goes by when we're not hit with a virus. Our developers used to be the worst, they would find apps on disks simply point and click, our training centers have PCs on the network and all it takes is for a client to click an app they receive in their e-mail and WHAM - the fun begins.

For the longest time we used to be slow in running patches simply because of the time we'd spend to get approval to take the system down, etc. That all changed after Slammer and Blaster kicked our tails...

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
If you don't mind me asking, what's your mail app - Outlook? Lotus? Also can you describe what the message says?

As far as Corporate companies, I work in a national corporation with training centers and not a month goes by when we're not hit with a virus. Our developers used to be the worst, they would find apps on disks simply point and click, our training centers have PCs on the network and all it takes is for a client to click an app they receive in their e-mail and WHAM - the fun begins.

For the longest time we used to be slow in running patches simply because of the time we'd spend to get approval to take the system down, etc. That all changed after Slammer and Blaster kicked our tails...

... we use Lotus Notes in our company. I can't tell if it's a virus or not. What essentially happens is someone in our company, say you, sends me a legitimate e-mail about company business. Everything is fine and dandy and I need to add something to it and send my response forward to another person. When I select the forward message option the new mail comes up not as the same message with the forwarded address, but rather a spam letter to the forwarded address.

It's like secretly embedded e-mails that get forwarded if you carefully look. And it's not so hush hush. The spam is opened up right in front of your eyes so you obviously don't forward it. But everytime you cancel the forward and retry again the same stupid spam comes up again.

I call it SPAM because I have no other way to describe it.

Any ideas what this is?