if I wanted to be a contender in 2012/2013

ghst187

Reaction score
and i was running Dallas draft (I know I know you'll say "I'm glad you're not running our draft"), I would be looking to trade back and take TE Fleener who looks like he could be another Witten. Then I also take someone like Lamichael James, Chris Rainey, or Ryan Broyles in the 4th-6th rounds. This adds a new dynamic and serious threat, or two, to the offense with speed, which is always hard to defend. It also adds speed and threat to our return game.
We could potentially get another 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th, which I spend on a OG and probably someone like OLB Irvin who can rush the passer. Rest of the draft is DL, DB, and maybe another OL.
My mock would look something like this:
1st, Trade back to the 20s, add an extra 2nd and 6th, pick TE Coby Fleener
2nd, OG Kevin Zeitler
2nd, OLB Bruce Irwin
3rd, DE Jared Crick
4th, S Markelle Martin
4th, LB Tank Carder, although I'd be tempted to grab Lamichael James if he is still available in the 4th.
5th, DL Akiem Hicks
6th, WR/PR Chris Rainey, he is speed
7th, CB/PR Cliff Harris/Broyles

We get better and deeper on D (passrusher, D lineman, ILB depth, and secondary), we add kick return lethality and speed to our offense and we add a playmaker on offense where there wasn't before, #2 TE. New England showed the efficacy of having to hard-to-cover TEs. This is not to mention the fact that we lost our most productive WR this offseason and have no idea if his replacement will be good. Teams focus on defending Witten regularly and since Dez and Miles rarely play in the same game....another highly effective TE (and a healthy Demarco) would add a lot to our offense IMO.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ghst187;4491000 said:
and i was running Dallas draft (I know I know you'll say "I'm glad you're not running our draft"), I would be looking to trade back and take TE Fleener who looks like he could be another Witten. Then I also take someone like Lamichael James, Chris Rainey, or Ryan Broyles in the 4th-6th rounds. This adds a new dynamic and serious threat, or two, to the offense with speed, which is always hard to defend. It also adds speed and threat to our return game.
We could potentially get another 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th, which I spend on a OG and probably someone like OLB Irvin who can rush the passer. Rest of the draft is DL, DB, and maybe another OL.
My mock would look something like this:
1st, Trade back to the 20s, add an extra 2nd and 6th, pick TE Coby Fleener
2nd, OG Kevin Zeitler
2nd, OLB Bruce Irwin
3rd, DE Jared Crick
4th, S Markelle Martin
4th, LB Tank Carder, although I'd be tempted to grab Lamichael James if he is still available in the 4th.
5th, DL Akiem Hicks
6th, WR/PR Chris Rainey, he is speed
7th, CB/PR Cliff Harris/Broyles

We get better and deeper on D (passrusher, D lineman, ILB depth, and secondary), we add kick return lethality and speed to our offense and we add a playmaker on offense where there wasn't before, #2 TE. New England showed the efficacy of having to hard-to-cover TEs. This is not to mention the fact that we lost our most productive WR this offseason and have no idea if his replacement will be good. Teams focus on defending Witten regularly and since Dez and Miles rarely play in the same game....another highly effective TE (and a healthy Demarco) would add a lot to our offense IMO.

Dont think we could get a TE, in 1st round, just have to much obvious needs. Granted Jason Witten isnt going to last forever.

Might be a possibility to get a S, DE, OLB, OG if you trade down to 17th to 24th. If you move down all way to 22nd or 24th should come away with a # 2 pick and possibly a 7th. Then move up with your highest # 2 pick, get TE Fleener if colts dont get him with their 1st pick in 2nd round. Then, you could trade that other 2 pick down again, recover that # 3 pick you would have to give up.

Then, get what you need but get BPA, stick with your board, dont reach.

I also think this team is at least a year away from really contending. And this year is a murderous schedule for us, so will be tough. I know I may get blasted for that, but most honest media writers say that they think jason garrett would be extremely lucky to make the playoffs this yr, they just dont see it not this yr. But that Jason Garrett is slowly building a contender, and in 2 years, thats when cowboys will make their run for 5 years or so.

That jason garrett is right coach for this team, knows how to work with jerry, knows the draft most of the time (still dont know why jason passed on Hynoski fullback that went undrafted and jason drafted chapas who is to light at FB).

Then, you have to keep in mind, till arbitrator rules or if goes to federal court, that might take a year or so, so we have to eat another 5 million for next year in cap too. which stinks.

So, I see 2013 when this team will be finally have all pieces, have more money to get free agents that we need to put us over the top, and possibly get a super qb in 2013 to learn behind tony romo 2-3 years or so. Got to remember tony will be 32 april 21st. Most qbs are done by time their 34-36.

Keep in mind, i said it last yr, and i stand by it, tony romo is elite now.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Far too much infatuation with 2 TEs.

Get a guy who can be a solid role player to fill that position.