If it's Turner....

Cliff

Benched
Reaction score
and JJ brings in Garrett in some capacity.... who would manage the D?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CliffHarris;1333782 said:
Turner works with Mike Singeltary. He might be a candidate. I also think Bowles is still a cadnidate for that job.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CliffHarris;1333782 said:

Said before I'll say it again. Let him bring in his own people. Having Jerry try to piecemeal a coaching staff is a bad ideal. When you hire a coach you allow him to put his own staff together, just as most teams do. When Payton went to NO he went through the process of getting his own people in place.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1333788 said:
Said before I'll say it again. Let him bring in his own people. Having Jerry try to piecemeal a coaching staff is a bad ideal. When you hire a coach you allow him to put his own staff together, just as most teams do. When Payton went to NO he went through the process of getting his own people in place.

Turner is familar with Garrett and Garrett played for Ernie Zampese...he knows the system inside and out.

I'm sure Turner is picking his own people as much as he can if he comes here...have to remember it is late in the game to be putting together a full staff...it might be yr two before a complete staff of the new coaches liking is in place

David

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hostile;1333785 said:
Turner works with Mike Singeltary. He might be a candidate. I also think Bowles is still a cadnidate for that job.

the way the secondary was coached i would have a hard time with bowles

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dbair1967;1333824 said:
Turner is familar with Garrett and Garrett played for Ernie Zampese...he knows the system inside and out.

I'm sure Turner is picking his own people as much as he can if he comes here...have to remember it is late in the game to be putting together a full staff...it might be yr two before a complete staff of the new coaches liking is in place

David

If he came here he very well may want to bring Garrett with him I'm just saying it should be Turners call. As for it being late, it is not late the season has not even ended and there are still assistant coaches out there who very well could be worthy of getting promoted to higher position with Dallas. My main point is I think it is a mistake for any team to go out and pick assistant coaches and then hire a HC and say these are your coaches. In my opinion Jerry needs to hire a HC and allow him to do what he feels is in the best interest of the team and what he feels gives him the best chance.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;1333824 said:
Garrett played with Turner in 92 and 93 as well.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1333788 said:

One thing - for this sort of stance.

The Dolphins were talking with people they were looking to hire as HCs about retaining Capers, before the HC was hired. So, if we hire say a Jason Garrett as OC, and then a few days later some other guy, don't assume that was forced upon them. It may have been part of the negotiations, they just moved when they needed to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1334433 said:
One thing - for this sort of stance.

The Dolphins were talking with people they were looking to hire as HCs about retaining Capers, before the HC was hired. So, if we hire say a Jason Garrett as OC, and then a few days later some other guy, don't assume that was forced upon them. It may have been part of the negotiations, they just moved when they needed to.

Dolphins have not been a model team to be copying. I tend to look at a HC as someone who controls all phases of the game not one side of the ball or the other but the team as a whole because in the end it all falls right back to the HC if either unit fails. I think part of the job is going out and finding an OC and DC who you believe in and feel they can do the job that allows you room to deal with the overall picture you’re trying to put together. You look at Dungy he was a DC now he is a head coach in control of all areas not just defense that is what he has a DC for.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1334472 said:
Dolphins have not been a model team to be copying. I tend to look at a HC as someone who controls all phases of the game not one side of the ball or the other but the team as a whole because in the end it all falls right back to the HC if either unit fails. I think part of the job is going out and finding an OC and DC who you believe in and feel they can do the job that allows you room to deal with the overall picture you’re trying to put together. You look at Dungy he was a DC now he is a head coach in control of all areas not just defense that is what he has a DC for.

Did you even read what I wrote - or did you just stop at Dolphins? They asked Cameron how he felt about Capers, before signing Capers. I was just saying, if we sign a coordinator first, don't assume our HC isn't already on board with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1334479 said:
Did you even read what I wrote - or did you just stop at Dolphins? They asked Cameron how he felt about Capers, before signing Capers. I was just saying, if we sign a coordinator first, don't assume our HC isn't already on board with it.

I did read your entire post and I agree or I should say I hope that would be the case. What bothers me is the ideal that Jerry very could try and put the cart before the horse and if he does I just think it puts a HC in an odd position. I would also add a guy like Cameron may have been willing to agree with whatever the Dolphins wanted because of a desire to be a HC and it makes me wonder if it were strictly up to Cameron would Capers be his guy?

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1334497 said:
I did read your entire post and I agree or I should say I hope that would be the case. What bothers me is the ideal that Jerry very could try and put the cart before the horse and if he does I just think it puts a HC in an odd position. I would also add a guy like Cameron may have been willing to agree with whatever the Dolphins wanted because of a desire to be a HC and it makes me wonder if it were strictly up to Cameron would Capers be his guy?
As an offensive guy, I'm huessing Cameron has no probelm with Capers handling the defense, especially since it's so similar to the one he's used to seeing in SD. But, that could be a factor elsewhere.

I'm sure Jerry will get all the ducks in a row. It might not be the right hire, but I'm sure Jerry will accomodate whoever it is, at least at first.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1334515 said:
As an offensive guy, I'm huessing Cameron has no probelm with Capers handling the defense, especially since it's so similar to the one he's used to seeing in SD. But, that could be a factor elsewhere.

I'm sure Jerry will get all the ducks in a row. It might not be the right hire, but I'm sure Jerry will accomodate whoever it is, at least at first.

If Jerry does that then at least I will know that he did learn from past mistakes. Your team has a chance to win when you allow your HC to run the team.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SteamedSoup;1334509 said:
Did they play any worse than Miami's quarterbacks?

Yikes.

he had Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon...hard to make chicken soup from chicken poop

David

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
dbair1967;1334575 said:
he had Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon...hard to make chicken soup from chicken poop

David
Yeah, but Culpepper was worse in Miami than he was in Minnesota. Harrington was no better in Miami than he was in Detroit (his passer rating had been in the 70s his last 2 years in Detroit... he goes to Miami and it falls back to the 60s).

Our offense was fine last year. We're looking at Garrett to replace our offensive staff that engineered the 6th best offense in yards and the 4th highest scoring offense in the NFL last year... based on the premise that he's some guru who will develop Romo? What are we basing this on, exactly?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SteamedSoup;1334920 said:
Yeah, but Culpepper was worse in Miami than he was in Minnesota. Harrington was no better in Miami than he was in Detroit (his passer rating had been in the 70s his last 2 years in Detroit... he goes to Miami and it falls back to the 60s).

Our offense was fine last year. We're looking at Garrett to replace our offensive staff that engineered the 6th best offense in yards and the 4th highest scoring offense in the NFL last year... based on the premise that he's some guru who will develop Romo? What are we basing this on, exactly?

our offense's overall numbers were ok, but we were extremely inconsistent on a week to week basis and struggled to run the ball with any consistency as well...we were an up and down offensive team

we were by no means one of the cream of the crop teams offensively...we showed flashes, but didnt do it consistently

David

SteamedSoup

Reaction score
The offense wasn't that inconsistent. Scored plenty of points, moved the ball easily enough. The biggest flaw was the turnovers -- which I have no reason to believe Garrett or anyone else will magically cut down on any better than Sparano/Haley.

I think what it comes down to is Jerry is ignoring the overall problems of the team, and instead he's focusing on the guys he likes. Owens and Romo. And he thinks making a change to someone offensive will play to their strengths. Okay, fine, shake up the staff. But we better bring in some wicked combo of Martz-Weis-Payton-Reid if we're going to outscore the frightening number our defense is gonna let teams hang on us each week, because we got cute in the offseason and forgot to fix what was actually broken.

This smacks of when Jerry's made player-specific coaching changes in the past, like hiring Jack Reilly to give Troy his precious timing-based offense back or hiring Coslet to make Carter the next McNabb with the WCO.

Call me crazy, but I think we're bashing our current staff because we just don't like them. I mean, let's call it what it is. You're singing their praises right now if Norv Turner or Jason Garrett comes in and engineers a team that does this:

Week 1 - 17 points, 323 yards
Week 2 - 27 points, 367 yards
Week 3 - bye
Week 4 - 45 points, 396 yards
Week 5 - 24 points, 320 yards
Week 6 - 34 points, 354 yards
Week 7 - 22 points, 379 yards
Week 8 - 35 points, 414 yards
Week 9 - 19 points, 378 yards
Week 10 - 27 points, 434 yards
Week 11 - 21 points, 342 yards
Week 12 - 38 points, 435 yards
Week 13 - 23 points, 365 yards
Week 14 - 17 points, 347 yards
Week 15 - 38 points, 352 yards
Week 16 - 7 points, 201 yards
Week 17 - 31 points, 365 yards

There's only 1 game in there where the offense was bad enough that no defense could reasonably be expected to hold the other team. You think the defense can say the same thing, or anything close to it, about their week-to-week performances? I don't.

So it's troubling to see us acting like "fixing" the offense rates as the priority.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
I'll probably crash this site with my suggestion, but here goes: Dave Campo! Yes, Dave Campo. He has great familiarity w/ Turner, Garrett and the Jones and when he was DC his D's were always among the best. I think it would come down to the players we have available for a 4-3, and of course I can't think of a situation where a guy that had once been a DC then a HC returned to that same team to again assume the role of DC.

If SF is interviewing Dave, that may mean that Norv is staying put there and wants a guy he is more familar w/ than Mike Singletary. Or it could mean Norv is coming here and bringing Mike w/ him. Then again, it may mean neither of those things. i guess we'll have to wait and see...