If Micah is always being blocked by multiple players

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What does that say about the rest of our defensive line???? Good comment made by a poster on here I wanted to dig further into. A lot of people say we have a good DL, but if Micah is taking up this much attention, our guys should really be getting home OFTEN, please give your thoughts

jwitten82

Reaction score
What does that say about the rest of our defensive line???? Good comment made by a poster on here I wanted to dig further into. A lot of people say we have a good DL, but if Micah is taking up this much attention, our guys should really be getting home OFTEN, please give your thoughts
This is what I don't understand either. Anytime someone says Lawrence needs to be that guy (he had 4 sacks) people run to his defense. Either we're happy with Lawrence or we get someone else to help alleviate that pressure off Parsons

Cmac

Reaction score
On pass rush.....if Micah is occupied by multiple defenders......somebody should clean up, getting pressures or sacks. Same for when D Lawrence is occupying multiple defenders.

BTW.....living in the DC area.......Commander fans aren't overjoyed with the DQ signing. For what it's worth.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
On pass rush.....if Micah is occupied by multiple defenders......somebody should clean up, getting pressures or sacks. Same for when D Lawrence is occupying multiple defenders.

BTW.....living in the DC area.......Commander fans aren't overjoyed with the DQ signing. For what it's worth.
Good there should be a buyers beware on DQ. But he is no longer our problem.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Every team in the NFL wishes they had 2 dominating pass rushers. List the teams that have 2. I’ll sit here and wait for the list.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not that simple. Yes sometimes Micah is double teamed but not 100% of the time. Sometimes they simply design the play to go away from his side or they chip him so he hits the ground or they force him outside and run inside type of things. Sometimes they counter the speedy rush with a quick dump off or similar play. And the premise is still correct no one else is making the play when they do these things.

My Fix
1. Move Micah to OLB so he has more freedom to rush from any gap or drop into coverage. Have got to do a better job disguising his or others rushes.
2. Micah needs to focus on hitting the RB on most plays. disrupt his timing or tackle him if he has the ball.
3. Get 2 DT's that are really good at stopping the run even when double teamed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Well lets look at the last 5 Cowboys games.

Buffalo - 15 passes to 49 rushes (31 points given up)
Miami - 37 passes to 26 rushes (22 points given up)
Detroit - 35 passes to 31 rushes (19 points given up)
Washington - 28 passes to 17 rushes (Cowboys did have 4 sacks this game) (10 points given up)
Green Bay - 21 passes to 33 rushes (a ridiculous number of points given up)

For the most part this team is still really good at rushing the passer, the issue goes back to what we've been talking about for weeks now....the Cowboys defense simply got exposed for being overly one dimensional. To end the season teams ran the ball 156 times to 136 pass attempts. It becomes extremely difficult to rack up sack numbers when teams are running the ball that much. This team averaged more than 3 sacks per game through Thanksgiving....just 1.2 per game the rest of the way.

Micah is a major reason a guy like Dorrance Armstrong can rack up back to back 9 sack seasons despite limited snaps so I would disagree that he doesn't influence the rest of the Dline, I simply think teams caught up to Dallas and ran the ball with minimal resistance. The one team to end the year with fewer than 20 rushing attempts (Washington) got sacked 4 times.

The only real "issue" here I would say is that Dlaw and Osa didn't get as many sacks as their peripheral numbers would suggests they should have gotten.