If no Superbowl then what are thoughts of Williams deal?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
On ESPN's 1st and 10, Skip Bayless supported the move and said that if Dallas won the Superbowl, they(Dallas) didn't overpay for Roy Williams. Skip also said Roy Williams improves Dallas chances of getting to the Superbowl and is a tougher defensive assignment than TO. Skip didn't really comment if the trade was worth it if we didn't appear in the Superbowl so let me ask you then:

If Dallas fails to appear in the Superbowl, does your opinion change about the trade? Why or Why not

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I like it no matter what since they have a young top wr now to take over when TO is gone. But if they do win the superbowl of course it makes the trade a huge move.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Winning the SB this year isn't the test of whether this is a good trade. This guy should be a great addition for many years to come. We've improved our team for this year and the future.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
then we have a sick combo, draft even more players and make a run next year. Great thingsbout football, always next year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2343724 said:
Winning the SB this year isn't the test of whether this is a good trade. This guy should be a great addition for many years to come. We've improved our team for this year and the future.

Co-sign.

We're set up for along time.

You guys will get to tell us how crappy this team is while we are winning for many years.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We got a number 7 pick for next years low round 1 pick, low round 3 pick and a 6 or 7 whichever it is.

And we locked him up for 5 years to a reasonable contract.

So I'll be disappointed if we don't get to the SB and win. But that doesn't change the deal. If he's the difference in us getting the to SB this year this it is a brilliant move. If not then it's a very good deal.

Boysboy

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods;2343701 said:
On ESPN's 1st and 10, Skip Bayless supported the move and said that if Dallas won the Superbowl, they(Dallas) didn't overpay for Roy Williams. Skip also said Roy Williams improves Dallas chances of getting to the Superbowl and is a tougher defensive assignment than TO. Skip didn't really comment if the trade was worth it if we didn't appear in the Superbowl so let me ask you then:

If Dallas fails to appear in the Superbowl, does your opinion change about the trade? Why or Why not

Owens is getting long in the tooth, Crayton is only a slot receiver, ditto Austin...

Pt being that Roy is in his prime, and will be for another few years, and WR was our prime need next year anyways.

So no-it'll be dissapointing if we don't win the SB, but it won't be the end of the world.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CaptainAmerica;2343724 said:
:signmast:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Boysboy;2343743 said:
Owens is getting long in the tooth, Crayton is only a slot receiver, ditto Austin...

Pt being that Roy is in his prime, and will be for another few years, and WR was our prime need next year anyways.

So no-it'll be dissapointing if we don't win the SB, but it won't be the end of the world.

It aint showin up on the field thats for sure.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
QB Tony Romo 28 years old...
WR Roy Williams 26 years old...
WR Patrick Crayton 29 years old...
TE Jason Witten 26 years old...
TE Martellus Bennett 21 years old...
RB Marion Barber 25 years old...
RB Felix Jones 21 years old...
RB Tashard Choice 23 years old...
WR Miles Austin 24 years old...
WR Sam Hurd 23 years old...

Even without T.O. this trade keeps us a probowl offense,

juck

Reaction score
I look more for the future its good.Unless he reverts back to being ole roy from Detroit which I dont think he would do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
juckie;2343753 said:
I look more for the future its good.Unless he reverts back to being ole roy from Detroit which I dont think he would do.

Regardless of what he does this year I think an offseason in Dallas is going to put him over the top.

Especially working with TO and Joe Juraszek.

Same with Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Did these guys all take stupid pills?

The super bowl has nothing to do with the trade. If we get there, great.

It's not as if Roy Williams is 34 years old and we gave up a boat load to get a guy who only has a two productive years left. He's going to be the number one guy when TO retires.

I cannot for the life of me believe what some of these dopes have been writing.

Fact is, we gave up a first and a third for a pro bowl receiver, which was a position of need for this team. And we're not even talking about a high number one pick. So, the math is, if you could get a young pro bowl player in a position of need every year by giving up a low number one and a low number three, would ya do it?

You bet.

es22

Reaction score
I like the trade. We have an excess of young talent. It was time to ensure that we will not suffer a drop in production if we dont have TO in the offence as he does get hurt.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Juke99;2343765 said:
Did these guys all take stupid pills?

The super bowl has nothing to do with the trade. If we get there, great.

It's not as if Roy Williams is 34 years old and we gave up a boat load to get a guy who only has a two productive years left. He's going to be the number one guy when TO retires.

I cannot for the life of me believe what some of these dopes have been writing.

Fact is, we gave up a first and a third for a pro bowl receiver, which was a position of need for this team. And we're not even talking about a high number one pick. So, the math is, if you could get a young pro bowl player in a position of need every year by giving up a low number one and a low number three, would ya do it?

You bet.

On the nosey. :p:

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Good long term deal. We get a younger receiver to learn from TO and hopefully replace him when he gets old.

DT101

Reaction score
IMO I think Torry Holt would have been better if we wanted to win the super bowl this year, he seems like a number 2 type. But, Roy still greatly improves our chances still and we have a number 1 for when TO retires. Hes much better longterm. I also feel a lot safer if TO goes down now

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I think this is a rare move where you're bringing in a hired gun to win now, yet also bringing in a young building block to set you up for the future.

This is trading for Haley, signing Deion, bringing in Galloway ... but entirely not at the exact same time.

Thus, while I think this move is intended in part to get us a Lombardi this year and next, my opinion doesn't change if we don't win or get to the Super Bowl.

Why? Because this move is about much more than this year. This move is about giving Romo a weapon at wide receiver that, as Mosley put it, he can grow old with on the football field.

A month ago we were all concerned about what would happen to Tony's game if TO went down this year, or retired in a year or two. I think we're all much, much less worried today (I wouldn't say not at all worried, because there's not another receiver in the league like TO. But at least we got ourselves a young guy with a Pro Bowl on his resume).