If Rivera is so good then...

MaineBoy

Reaction score
It's a mystery to me as to why the Bears would have the best Defense in the NFL this year, the Bears are in the Superbowl with everyone recognizing that the Defense is the strongest unit on the team...YET....the Bears didn't see fit to give Rivera a contract extension ? Anyone know how this could be with his apparent accomplishments ?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:
It's a mystery to me as to why the Bears would have the best Defense in the NFL this year, the Bears are in the Superbowl with everyone recognizing that the Defense is the strongest unit on the team...YET....the Bears didn't see fit to give Rivera a contract extension ? Anyone know how this could be with his apparent accomplishments ?

Because the Bears front office is cheap :D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:

for one thing they are just cheap

for another maybe they expected him to get a HC job somewhere else

David

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are other threads with the answer in it already.

The bears are Cheap...Rivera is only paid 500k right now, Lovie is the LOWEST paid HC in the league.

The bears said they are going to work on an extension for Lovie but many feel they will not pay up for TWO coaches.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:
beause he walked into the owners office and said "i wanna be a cowboy!!!!!!"

DipChit

Reaction score
It's cause the Bears are just silly.

They think Grossman is the long term answer and think Rivera is a tank job waiting to happen. ;)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1353189 said:
Because the Bears front office is cheap :D

This is it exactly. I just got off a conference call w/ 2 of my bromies who are die hard Bears fans.

They just told me that Rivera would welcome the pay increase and the exclusive play calling duties in Dallas as DC. He wants the HC job first but they feel he would still come here to do his own thing and get a sizeable pay increase as DC.

They hate the the front office for the Bears.

Cheap was putting it lightly w/ what they had to say about how the organization is ran.

Take a look at Lovie. They said do not be surprised to see the Bears organization not increase Lovies pay this year but to make him finish his last year contract. Look to see them trying to iron things out in the middle of next season w/ Lovie.

We'll see.

DizzG

Reaction score
The Bears are cheap. that is known

Lovie is the guy they will go after first. not staff guys

they have too. His pay is a joke compared to coaches of his caliber and position in the league

crazytown41

Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:
Like everybody have already said. The Bears are notoriously cheap. ;)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Everyone knows the Bears are cheap, but didn't the story make the rounds last year that Rivera didn't interview very well for the Rams job?

I know that's not a reason for why the Bears would allow him to walk away from their DC job, but we do have to keep in mind that we've never seen some of these guys in an interview setting or listened to them discuss and explain how they would approach the job.

That being said I would love to have Rivera as our DC.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:

Probably the same reason why Jerry Jones doesn't like to pay linebackers. ;)

The Bears - aside from being cheap - apparently think defensive coordinators are interchangeable.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1353220 said:
Everyone knows the Bears are cheap, but didn't the story make the rounds last year that Rivera didn't interview very well for the Rams job?

that wasnt Rivera, he interviewed for the GB job

the person you are referring to is none other than Mike Zimmer...reportedly he was so bad, they didnt even bother to call him and tell him that 1) they werent interested or 2) the search ended with them hiring somebody else

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967;1353463 said:
that wasnt Rivera, he interviewed for the GB job

the person you are referring to is none other than Mike Zimmer...reportedly he was so bad, they didnt even bother to call him and tell him that 1) they werent intereste dor 2) the searh ended with them hiring somebody else

David

True, true........

April rolled around and ole Bill had a heck of a time getting Zimmy away from the phone to come out to the draft, for fear he would miss the call back.

amuze

Reaction score
MaineBoy;1353187 said:

If Rivera is up for a HC job, there's nothing the Bears' front office can do in terms of extensions since it's a vertical move.