If We Cant Win These Next Two, We Are Going Nowhere

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Guys, the Panthers are going to be starting Matt Moore, the QB we released. Also, both Steve Smith and Julius Peppers did not practice today, usually a bad sign if you play on Saturday. Their running game is iffy at best and they are one of the worst home teams in the league (the freaking Falcons even beat them at home this year, I think is is the Falcons only road win of the season).

If cant beat this team, call in the dogs, put the fire out, the hunt is over.

The Skins game should be absolutely nothing. Why? Because Minny is going to give them a beat down Sunday night and eliminate them from the playoff picture. A win pretty much gives the Vikes the 6th spot I think, definently drops the skins out of the picture. Also, their QB is freaking Todd Collins.

If we cant beat a team with Todd Collins at QB and probably playing for absolutely nothing, something is very wrong.

Basically guys, if we cant beat these two teams (neither will be in the playoffs) then we are not going anywhere. Just look at history, championship teams dont lose in December to non-playoff teams, just doesnt happen.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1843890 said:
Just look at history, championship teams dont lose in December to non-playoff teams, just doesnt happen.

2006 Indianapolis Colts
Lost 20-17 at Tennessee on Dec 3
Lost 44-17 at Jacksonville on Dec 10
Lost 27-24 at Houston on Dec 24

2004 New Englan Patriots
Lost 29-28 at Miami on Dec 20

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs
Lost 23-29 at New Orleans on Dec 1

1999 St Louis Rams
Lost 38-31 at Philadephia on Jan 2

1998 Denver Broncos
Lost 20-16 at New York on Dec 13
Lost 31-21 at Miami on Dec 21

1995 Dallas Cowboys
Lost 24-17 vs Washington on Dec 3

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
"championship teams dont lose in December to non-playoff teams, just doesnt happen."

It happened last Sunday. :mad:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
As much as anyone I want to win every game.

BUT.... if we lose these last two games.... it only changes WHERE we play IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Look at last year... we hit the skids at the end and then went to SEATTLE and SHOULD have won that game. The end of season skid had no effect on that game.

So while its popular to "think" what you are saying... IT DOESNT MATTER.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If we win Saturday and Green Bay somehow loses this weekend, our game against Washington becomes meaningless. We'll probably treat it like a preseason game (get as many starters out early as possible, if they even play), and it won't matter if we win or lose.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1843900 said:
2006 Indianapolis Colts
Lost 20-17 at Tennessee on Dec 3
Lost 44-17 at Jacksonville on Dec 10
Lost 27-24 at Houston on Dec 24

2004 New Englan Patriots
Lost 29-28 at Miami on Dec 20

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs
Lost 23-29 at New Orleans on Dec 1

1999 St Louis Rams
Lost 38-31 at Philadephia on Jan 2

1998 Denver Broncos
Lost 20-16 at New York on Dec 13
Lost 31-21 at Miami on Dec 21

1995 Dallas Cowboys
Lost 24-17 vs Washington on Dec 3

You just made my point. I said a championship team does not lose to non-playoff teams (plural) in December.

Your list has 2 SB winners that have lost more than 1 game to non-playoff teams in December, the 98 Broncos and last years Colts (who were an ignima because of their miracle defnesive turnaround from reg season to playoffs).

Of course there are always going to be "outliers", but overwhelmingly championship teams do not lose multiple games in December to non-playoff teams.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1843908 said:
You just made my point. I said a championship team does not lose to non-playoff teams (plural) in December.

No. You said "championship teams (plural) don't lose in December to non-playoff teams (plural)."

Since there can be only one championship team per year, your statement is best interpretted using a broad historical context (rather than a single season) as a point of reference.

Of course there are always going to be "outliers"

It occurs far too frequently to be an outlier. It happened three times just last season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
YoMick;1843903 said:
As much as anyone I want to win every game.

BUT.... if we lose these last two games.... it only changes WHERE we play IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Look at last year... we hit the skids at the end and then went to SEATTLE and SHOULD have won that game. The end of season skid had no effect on that game.

So while its popular to "think" what you are saying... IT DOESNT MATTER.

I beg to differ, I think it really does matter. With the Vikes most likely the 6th seed, these last two games will be againt non-playoff teams. We already just lost to Philly, another non-playoff team.

Look at the list above, only 2 SB winners have lost multiple games in December to non-playoff teams. That is the 98 Broncos and last year's Colts.

Also, where you play DOES MATTER TREMENDOUSLY. Look at the historical numbers, home teams in the playoffs win ALOT more games then road teams.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1843912 said:
No. You said "championship teams (plural) don't lose in December to non-playoff teams (plural)."

Since there can be only one championship team per year, your statement is best interpretted using a broad historical context (rather than a single season) as a point of reference.

It occurs far too frequently to be an outlier. It happened three times just last season.

I think you interpreted something wrong, maybe I was not clear in my original post.

My point is that if you look at the SB winners over the years, like your list does, you will find very few instances where that team lost multiple games to non playoff teams in the month of December. There will be a couple, like the 06 Colts, but that is more the exception than the rule. That is what I meant by outlier, as far as it happening 3 times last year, you lost me there?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1843919 said:
I think you interpreted something wrong, maybe I was not clear in my original post.

My point is that if you look at the SB winners over the years, like your list does, you will find very few instances where that team lost multiple games to non playoff teams in the month of December.

That may be your point, but that's not what you said. And I can only respond to what you said.

Furthermore, you also stated that losing mutliple games in December "just doesn't happen."

Clearly, however, it does happen. Last year, for instance.

There will be a couple, like the 06 Colts, but that is more the exception than the rule. That is what I meant by outlier, as far as it happening 3 times last year, you lost me there?

You contended that championship teams do not lose to non-playoff teams in December.

Last season, however, a championship team lost three times to non-playoff teams in the month of December.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1843914 said:
I beg to differ, I think it really does matter. With the Vikes most likely the 6th seed, these last two games will be againt non-playoff teams. We already just lost to Philly, another non-playoff team.

Look at the list above, only 2 SB winners have lost multiple games in December to non-playoff teams. That is the 98 Broncos and last year's Colts.

Also, where you play DOES MATTER TREMENDOUSLY. Look at the historical numbers, home teams in the playoffs win ALOT more games then road teams.

You can beg to differ all you want :p:

What I am saying is.... no matter what happens in regular season = NOTHING is WRITTEN for the POST SEASON RESULTS

What you are saying is.... the regular season is going to affect the outcome of our POST SEASON.

Mine is pending a result.... yours has results already.

A PAST list has NO EFFECT on game not played

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
YoMick;1843932 said:
You can beg to differ all you want :p:

What I am saying is.... no matter what happens in regular season = NOTHING is WRITTEN for the POST SEASON RESULTS

What you are saying is.... the regular season is going to affect the outcome of our POST SEASON.

Mine is pending a result.... yours has results already.

A PAST list has NO EFFECT on game not played

We are talking probabilites. I am sure you had stats class in college, we are talking about data extrapolation here.

Your ascertion that the regular season has no affect on the post-season is simply not true. I agree that you cannot predict 100% the outcome of a post-season game (you and me would be on a beach in the Carribean if we could!!!), you can however make very close predictions. (this is where your sample size, confidence intervals, and margins of error come in to play)

Example: If your regular season record is only good enough for you to be a wildcard, and out of 100 postseason games only 10 wilcards have won.

If your team this year is a wildcard, you have roughly a 10% chance to win based on historical data. Now is this a dead solid lock, no. It depends on your confidence level you are using (5% or 10% for example, this would be your alpha level to keep the stats theme going here).

Now this is a very basic example, but it does show how a team's regular season record can influence the probablity of winning a post-season game. Forget the numbers, just look at how many wildcards have won the SB compared to divison winners and ask yourself if regular season results dont matter.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
yo beast, chill man. we are going to beat carolina and beat washington unless green bay just happens to lose on sunday.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1843938 said:
We are talking probabilites. I am sure you had stats class in college, we are talking about data extrapolation here.

Your ascertion that the regular season has no affect on the post-season is simply not true. I agree that you cannot predict 100% the outcome of a post-season game (you and me would be on a beach in the Carribean if we could!!!), you can however make very close predictions. (this is where your sample size, confidence intervals, and margins of error come in to play)

Example: If your regular season record is only good enough for you to be a wildcard, and out of 100 postseason games only 10 wilcards have won.

If your team this year is a wildcard, you have roughly a 10% chance to win based on historical data. Now is this a dead solid lock, no. It depends on your confidence level you are using (5% or 10% for example, this would be your alpha level to keep the stats theme going here).

Now this is a very basic example, but it does show how a team's regular season record can influence the probablity of winning a post-season game. Forget the numbers, just look at how many wildcards have won the SB compared to divison winners and ask yourself if regular season results dont matter.

I hear ya... and all that work you did is all well and good....

All I know is.... when the game comes on... we have atleast 50-50 chance to win it. :D You, me and the players and everyone is only thinking about winning that game... not about what happened in reg season and history etc... etc...

I know we can agree on this.... we would like win atleast one of the last two... and then not lose another game until NEXT season ;)

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
You guys need to become more realistic. First of all...any year the Commanders are out of the playoff picture does not matter to them as long as they beat the Cowboys. I live 15 mins from the Commanders Park...so I know on a daily basis how obsessed the Commanders are about Dallas. Secondly it is a home game for the Commanders. Also they have a good defense that will be seeing us for a second time...so Greg Williams will be ready for us. Throw everything out the window when teams play us....this is the Super Bowl for both teams...especially when we march in town with 12 Pro Bowlers. Do not be fooled...we are STILL America's team...and nothing would make the fans of both teams and all the other Cowboy haters across American be more happy than to see us lose. Our guys better knock them silly grins off their face and get in playoff mode.

Lastly, we need Terry Glenn back in the worst way...or we need to deploy Miles Austin like we did against Green Bay...and we need to MAKE our OL become the intimidating force their size and paychecks suggest they should be. Guys used to get conviently sick when they had to face Larry Allen and Erick Williams...that is attitude baby. Teams should feel the same way about facing Leonard and Gurode banging them on the inside...but teams do not because we do not force those big boyz to smack somebody in the mouth

The Cowboys have had so many big nationally televised games this year that they are probably tired...I mean it started against the Giants...then the Bears...then Buffalo on MNF...then the Pats...then the first Eagles game..then the first Skins game...then Thanksgiving...then the Lions with all the subplots...then another Eagles game...we get EVERYONE's best shot...much like New England does...look at how the Lions played us...then look at them the following week...look at the Ravens after playing the Pats...they lose to the worst team in the NFL. When you are on top and everyone is gunning for you...it can be draining. We just need to win...take our bye week to get rejuvinated....and turn it up again...but we look like a team that is just ready for the games that count

gazmc_06

Reaction score
I just don't see why people are so worried about us after one game, we are 12-2!!!. We lost a game in which our QB couldn't throw the ball correctly because of an injury and because of that people are worried about a team with our record? need to relax with the negativity - we are more than fine.

Route 66

Reaction score
gazmc_06;1843971 said:
I just don't see why people are so worried about us after one game, we are 12-2!!!. We lost a game in which our QB couldn't throw the ball correctly because of an injury and because of that people are worried about a team with our record? need to relax with the negativity - we are more than fine.

Not true. Romo didn't receive his thumb issue til later in the game. Even he admitted he was off.