If we trade down, who trades up?

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Looking at all the players we’ve shown interest in, they seem to be late-first rounders. Could be we’re zeroing in on guys we know will be there and want to guarantee we get the player we love regardless of who’s falling (LVE). But if we do happen to trade down, what team is most likely to come up, and why?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at all the players we’ve shown interest in, they seem to be late-first rounders. Could be we’re zeroing in on guys we know will be there and want to guarantee we get the player we love regardless of who’s falling (LVE). But if we do happen to trade down, what team is most likely to come up, and why?
Patriots possibly for a QB

DanA

Reaction score
In this draft I think you only trade up for an OT, QB, or DE. You can get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and I don’t see other options worth trading up for.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its still pretty earlier in the interview process. They interviewed Kinlaw, Chaisson and Henderson at the combine. Im sure they will be doing virtual visits with all three. Im not getting a sense yet they they are looking to trade down

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think teams would trade up for -

Jordan Love - but if Miami takes a Qb at 5 they have no need to jump miami at 18. I could see New orleans at 24, new england at 23, maybe even Indy from round 2. You may be able to get their pick at 34 and 44 or 34 and a 1 next year. Not sure you want to drop back 17 spots though.....

The 4th OT - probably Andrew Thomas , teams in need are probably seattle , maybe Tennessee

Maybe the 3rd WR - be it one of the top 3 wideouts slips, I'm sure we would look long and hard at taking him ourselves but teams like Colts, Eagles (not sure we'd do that), packers, patriots, raiders may be interested.

Other than that I'm not sure there is a guy, but trades come out of nowhere, look at the saints two years ago moving up for Marcus Davenport

DFWJC

Reaction score
We just don't know the draft boards of other teams.
Plenty could have players that they love more than other teams that they're willing to trade up for.
It's why draft day is always fluid.

Examples of non QB trades to mid late 1st round

2019: Green Bay traded up 9 slots from 30 last year to get FS Darnell Savage.
2019: Philly trade up to 22 to get OT Andre Dilliard
2019: Washington traded up to 26 for Montez Sweat
2018: Buffalo traded up to 16 from 22 to get Tremain Edwards
2018: Chargers trade up to 17 to steal Derwin James---that one was a no brainer though
2018: GB traded up to 14 to get Marcus Davenport
etc
etc

Alway in the eye of the beholder, and it always varies

fivetwos

Reaction score
Working on a mock. Added a surprise or two toward the top because they always happen, and we are JUST missing on some names that are always discussed.

I mean really, one of those top WR or DTs are going to slip out of the top 12 and will be within reasonable reach.

And again, it sure seems like theres a serious drop, right at 16-17 if all 3 QBs and 4 OTs are included.

The case could be made that the way to go is a slight move UP, not down.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
If one or two of Becton, Wills and Josh Jones are still on the board as well as quarterback Jordan Love, I think Dallas should move down and add another pick. I just wonder if Henderson or Chaisson is still there does the team just make the pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Impossible to predict when a team will fall in love with a player.

I didn't see the big trade up by the Saints for Marcus Davenport in 2018.

Will McClay tries to be prepared, especially on all players that might be 1st round picks.

He still remember when his predecessor was not prepared on Morris Claiborne because they didn't expect to be draft high enough to pick him. They obviously studied his tape but they had no clue about his mental makeup.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Miami.They currently have 3 first rounders, including the one right after us. And another at #26. They also have two 2nd-rounders.

If they take QB first, they can then trade up and secure the best LT + someone like Swift, or whoever, in back-to-back picks.