I'm on the Wimbley or Carpenter Wagon

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Demarcus Ware made an interesting quote in the article by Clarence Hill titled "From out of nowhere".

Ware: "It was like a platform for me," Ware said. "I got up to 250 [pounds] and they asked if I could gain more weight. So I got up to 255 at the combine. I ran well with it. I moved well with it. They [scouts] were like, maybe he can do this. I learned it was not about pub and media hype. It was about how you play. As long you get out there and play, you will be all right."

Manny weighed in at the combine at 241, and during his road show visits with teams, Pat Kirwan has noted that he has weighed in around 233. If Dallas scouts wanted to see Ware gain weight, I would imagine they would like to see the same from Manny. I thought Manny would try to gain and be closer to 250 prior to the season and maybe 265 next year. That does not apper to be the case.

Give me Carp or Wimbley to go alongside Ware. At 6'5" and 233 lbs is awful light. I think he may have a problem handling big TE at that weight let alone ROT. Remember, Ware was 250 last year and the team still wanted him a little bigger. I don't think the team has any plans on moving Ware to the strong side, due to Parcells quote comparing him to L.T.

Based on all the time the scouts have spent with Wimbley, the Sr. Bowl, the combine and a visit to the ranch, it would not surprise me if he is the guy we've targeted. I do remember Jerry asking him at the Sr. Bowl about playing outside LB in a 3-4 and Wimbley replying he was very interested.

I also think Carp would be a nice pick-up. Hard to argue with his production.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I prefer Wimbley and Carpenter, too, but if Cromartie, Williams, or Cutler fall to us we should probably take one of them or make a JP Losmanesque trade in the hopes that we can land an LB later.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Don't forget that Rick Gosselin recently stated Lawson was at 251. Who knows who is right?

I do know that his college playing weight tended to be in the 240s and that he stated sometime after the combine that he intended to gain weight. It wouldn't make sense for him to go down to 233.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yep....these senerios will change numerous times between now and Saturday

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
theogt said:
Don't forget that Rick Gosselin recently stated Lawson was at 251. Who knows who is right?

I do know that his college playing weight tended to be in the 240s and that he stated sometime after the combine that he intended to gain weight. It wouldn't make sense for him to go down to 233.
I agree. I hope he is moving up in weight and not down. At 233, he would be very light in my opinion. If he is closer to the 251, I reserve the right to change my mind for the 100th time. :D

CriscoKidd

Reaction score
I think my order goes

Carpenter
Lawson(if the cowboys brass think he can eventually put on the weight)
Wimbley

Carpenter seems like an ideal and versatile SOLB to pair with Ware. Should be able to step in and make a difference right away too. Not so confident in the other two doing the same.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
CriscoKidd said:
I think my order goes

Carpenter
Lawson(if the cowboys brass think he can eventually put on the weight)
Wimbley

Carpenter seems like an ideal and versatile SOLB to pair with Ware. Should be able to step in and make a difference right away too. Not so confident in the other two doing the same.

Agreed. Carpenter would fit into our D nicely..

ravidubey

Reaction score
No way was Lawson 230 pounds playnig DE for NC State. Still, at SOLB he won'tbe taking on left OT's like Ware has to do. He'll be facing RT's that are a step slower while covering TE's and RB's.

I think with a pro strength trainer he'll be able to play at whatever weight BP tells him to play at. He doesn't have the same burden of proof that Ware had coming from Troy, so there was no pressure to see Lawson bulk up.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
No way was Lawson 230 pounds playnig DE for NC State. Still, at SOLB he won'tbe taking on left OT's like Ware has to do. He'll be facing RT's that are a step slower while covering TE's and RB's.

I think with a pro strength trainer he'll be able to play at whatever weight BP tells him to play at. He doesn't have the same burden of proof that Ware had coming from Troy, so there was no pressure to see Lawson bulk up.

Thats not what I've heard. I read that both OLB positions in the 3-4 are the exact same thing :rolleyes:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I think some team that is targeting Lawson started that rumor so his stock would drop. But if he really is at 233, I think we need to look elsewhere first, mainly at Wimbley who is around 248, and Carpenter, who is already at 256, the proper 3-4 LB size...

Or maybe Lawson is trying to become the first DE converted FS...

:eek:

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Get me a huge lazy boy for that bandwagon...I'm on it big time. I'll take either Wimbley or Carp and would be equally happy with either player. Both are players that will be great in this system.