CFZ Imagining the new CB Roster

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Cowboys have come a long way in getting ball hawks on their team playing the cornerback position.

Trevon Diggs led the NFL in interceptions in his 2nd year - 2021.
DaRon Bland was 2nd in the NFL in interceptions in his rookie year, despite not playing until late in the season.
Stephon Gilmore is a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Imagine adding Emmanuel Forbes to this group, a ball hawk in his own right who had 3 pick-6 plays in college, and blocked two kicks.

The Cowboys would likely get burned a few times with this defensive backfield, because they take chances to get the ball. But the payoff in turnovers will probably outweigh the risk. Turnovers are the #1 stat that determines which team wins ball games. Having a fierce pass rush, with this group of corners playing on the backend will serve the Cowboys defense really well.

And don't forget Jourdan Lewis, a sticky defender.

Techsass

Reaction score
The Cowboys have come a long way in getting ball hawks on their team playing the cornerback position.

DaRon Bland was 2nd in the NFL in interceptions in his rookie year, despite not playing until late in the season.

Imagine adding Emmanuel Forbes to this group, a ball hawk in his own right who had 3 pick-6 plays in college, and blocked two kicks.

The Cowboys would likely get burned a few times with this defensive backfield, because they take chances to get the ball. But the payoff in turnovers will probably outweigh the risk. Turnovers are the #1 stat that determines which team wins ball games.

There were a lot of complaints about Diggs giving up big plays when he had his INT run. It was still a positive overall.
I'm stoked about getting Gilmore. I was OK with AB, but never really saw him as a difference maker.
I've never been as big on Lewis as a lot of y'all are, but he holds his own & isn't a liability.
Don't watch college ball, so I'm not familiar with Forbes. 3 pick-6 + 2 blocked punts sounds promising.

75boyz

Reaction score

The Cowboys would likely get burned a few times with this defensive backfield, because they take chances to get the ball. But the payoff in turnovers will probably outweigh the risk. Turnovers are the #1 stat that determines which team wins ball games. Having a fierce pass rush, with this group of corners playing on the backend will serve the Cowboys defense really well.

Nice post.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Cowboys have been 1st in take aways the last 2 years. I'm sure that trend will continue for a 3rd year with or without Forbes.

JayFord

Reaction score
Diggs is special! dude is one of the top corners in the league

Bland was amazing in his role as a rookie he really showed flash and the 5 ints were good

Gilmore we already know what he brings and thats grit.....and a former DPOY the man can still BALL

im not sure of the college player you mentioned though im not familiar with his game

Rayman70

Reaction score
Diggs is special! dude is one of the top corners in the league

Bland was amazing in his role as a rookie he really showed flash and the 5 ints were good

Gilmore we already know what he brings and thats grit.....and a former DPOY the man can still BALL

im not sure of the college player you mentioned though im not familiar with his game
Diggs is special when he chooses to be. Thats the caveat. I wouldn't pay him btw. He isn't Gilmore. Lets draft a dude.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There were a lot of complaints about Diggs giving up big plays when he had his INT run. It was still a positive overall.
I'm stoked about getting Gilmore. I was OK with AB, but never really saw him as a difference maker.
I've never been as big on Lewis as a lot of y'all are, but he holds his own & isn't a liability.
Don't watch college ball, so I'm not familiar with Forbes. 3 pick-6 + 2 blocked punts sounds promising.
because he did give up. He better decide what he wants. Maybe Gilmore can teach him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

It takes a lot to get me enthused.
This Cowboys secondary has me excited!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fans want ballhawking corners until they get ballhawking corners.

Then they want a guy who does all the dirty work that a guy like Diggs won’t do.
I think fans like Diggs. I think fans are scared this team may give him big money.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Adding Forbes would be nice, but not at pick 26.

I get the need thing, which is apparently unquenchable for most of you people.

Gilmore is a year rental. Joseph is a bust. Lewis will not be here in 2024.

Wait a second. That means we are down to exactly two corners in a year's time!

And what if things get bad with Diggs?

What then?

Help!

DanA

Reaction score
We really don’t need Forbes, it basically a redshirt year for a 1st round pick given his weight and who else we have. He’s 165lbs so he’s not even able play special teams. For him to be a good pick he’d basically have to be 20-25% better than other option at the pick and while possible I find it hard to believe it’s a good bet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Well since you can only play 3 of them at once, who is going to sit in the bench? And who is going to play guard?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

The weakness in the defense certainly won't be the Dbacks. It will still be the middle of the line. Need to stop the run consistently.