IMHO, our season rides on these guys

yimyammer

Reaction score
http://img232.*************/img232/797/dallasdwc9.jpg

Our offense is loaded with low and undrafted picks and have performed far above expectations. Conversely, on defense we have nine 1st round and 3 second round draft choices plus a proclaimed defensive guru as our coach. Our defense should dominate and be feared.

If they can finally live up to their draft status, then there should be no stopping us, if not, we're going no where this year and our coach might be shown the door.

Am I being too harsh?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think they need to step it up another notch, for sure, but I think you're being a little harsh that if they don't absolutely maul and dominate people that we aren't going anywhere. Our offense is plenty good enough to allow them an occassional lapse. If they can hold people to 17 or less points each week we should be able to win the vast majority of the time in that situation.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
yimyammer;2257800 said:
Am I being too harsh?

Not at all. We have too much talent to make excuses.

My first impression about the Cleveland game was disappointement. I missed the preasure on the oposing QB. But i watched the game agein - maybe 5 times until now - and i like the approach our DC took.

We didn't apply preasure because we didn't need to. Philips said (2-3 days ago) his mentality is to bring preasure when it is necessary and not just because you like to pressure the QB. To adjust to Offensive abilities of other teams is a good and clever concept. For example to use Ellis on Winslow and shut him down with this defensive plan was a good idea and was matters most - it worked. We lost some presure there and possibly some sacks too but who cares ? All we wanted was to stop their passing attack and that's all we did.

I guess the following games (like that against the eagles) will show if we are really able to put presure on an opposing QB (at will). If not we could be in trouble. But before that i must say we shut down a good offense and so we are all we should be on defense.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;2257800 said:
http://img232.*************/img232/797/dallasdwc9.jpg

Our offense is loaded with low and undrafted picks and have performed far above expectations. Conversely, on defense we have nine 1st round and 3 second round draft choices plus a proclaimed defensive guru as our coach. Our defense should dominate and be feared.

If they can finally live up to their draft status, then there should be no stopping us, if not, we're going no where this year and our coach might be shown the door.

Am I being too harsh?

who hasn't lived up to their draft status besides Jenkins and Spears???

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2258040 said:
I think they need to step it up another notch, for sure, but I think you're being a little harsh that if they don't absolutely maul and dominate people that we aren't going anywhere. Our offense is plenty good enough to allow them an occassional lapse. If they can hold people to 17 or less points each week we should be able to win the vast majority of the time in that situation.

With all that talent man they should be dominating this year.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt last year because they started off in a new scheme. But now they have it under their belts and they should know what they are doing within the scheme

whitey_aw

Reaction score
I agree, this defense needs to be a top 5 unit in the league this year. We have too much talent and depth to not be a dominant unit.

And not to nitpick, but Bradie was a 4th round pick, not third.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LOL

Jenkins is already "not living up to his Draft status" after only 1 game on a team that is deep at his position.

Brilliant.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Hostile;2258105 said:
LOL

Jenkins is already "not living up to his Draft status" after only 1 game on a team that is deep at his position.

Brilliant.

:laugh2: I didn't even catch that

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;2258105 said:
LOL

Brilliant.

lmao... you saw that huh....

IMO... The Giants, yes the Giants showed that you are not dependent on just a hanful of guys to "win it".... its all about team(they came together and were a TEAM ON A MISSION)... and going in on a hot streak.

Last year was devastating. As a fan I learned. I hope this team has.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
All this "the defense has so many #1s on it, it should dominate" makes no sense. What difference does it make where they were drafted? Either you can play or you can't play. Saying otherwise implies that a team of Bobby Carpenters and Rod Hills would beat a team of Terrell Owenses and Tony Romos. Nobody believes that, so why keep saying it?

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2258116 said:
All this "the defense has so many #1s on it, it should dominate" makes no sense. What difference does it make where they were drafted? Either you can play or you can't play. Saying otherwise implies that a team of Bobby Carpenters and Rod Hills would beat a team of Terrell Owenses and Tony Romos. Nobody believes that, so why keep saying it?

They should be dominating because of the talent.

And there isn't that many Tony Romos around the league.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2258116 said:

Huh? Of course it makes sense. The expectation is that the higher a player is drafted, the better he is.

If this were'nt true, why bother drafting expensive first round players, just go for the FA's and lower round guys since their all the same according to you.

I believe this is the first time I've posted on this topic so I don't know why you're asking why I keep "saying it".

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
yimyammer;2258245 said:
Huh? Of course it makes sense. The expectation is that the higher a player is drafted, the better he is.

If this were'nt true, why bother drafting expensive first round players, just go for the FA's and lower round guys since their all the same according to you.

I believe this is the first time I've posted on this topic so I don't know why you're asking why I keep "saying it".

You may not keep saying it, but tons of people have.

Sure, you expect first rounders to be better at the time of the draft. But at some point, you see how they play on the field and realize what they really are, right?

You don't still expect Bobby Carpenter to be better than Zach Thomas, do you?

redskins1

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2258040 said:

To beat the cowboys you need a very good passing game and just a solid run game on offense,and on defense apply pressure on romo(easier said then done)but if you do this you get the W..The eagles will do the latter tonight!!

yimyammer

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2258255 said:
You may not keep saying it, but tons of people have.

Sure, you expect first rounders to be better at the time of the draft. But at some point, you see how they play on the field and realize what they really are, right?

You don't still expect Bobby Carpenter to be better than Zach Thomas, do you?

No, but I expect the other seven 1st rounders (given up on Roy too) and the three 1sts to be plenty to enable us to have a great defense. Heck, a good coach ought to be able to raise the level of play as well, but I'm not sold on Wade even though he seems like a nice guy, too nice, imo