Impact Draft 2005

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We have 3 picks in top 2 rounds, 2 in Round 1.

We need 3 players that can step in and make a difference.

DT, LB, FS are my initial votes - You can usually mine a Jonathan Vilma type impact LB mid to late 1. Same with Starting safety in round 2.

I wouldn't rule out a hybrid TE/WR type. If we had two Wittens we could really mess with defenses.

Me thinks Parcells won't go uninsured at CB again. He's going to go get one of his guys. :D

Reaction score
I think you go & get a FA FS so you know what your getting & simply plug him in...I also expect the lil tiny LBer experement to be nearing an end...

ghst187

Reaction score
Mike Williams and Derrick Johnson or Ahmad Brooks

2nd round...Baas, Poole, Nicholson, Shazor, Terrence Murphy, Ngati, Orien Harris, Carlos Rogers

4th round....Mike Nugent K from Ohio St

rest of picks should be packaged to trade up in the first two rounds and target some of these guys.

That's an impact draft
IMO we need to get a WR that can be a stud, Williams is my favorite but I think Murphy will really surprise and make a big impact for someone.

Rest of Offseason:
Henson steps up as starting QB
DT is addressed with Ferguson from Jets or even better Shaun Rogers
CB is addressed with either Baxter or Lucas
DE is addressed with Howard from Saints
FS is addressed with a vet
LB is addressed with Kendrell Bell

Eddie George is cut
Cundiff is gone
VT becomes #3 qb
Rogers steps up as a starting OL, somewhere, anywhere
Quincy Morgan is traded to another team that doesn't mind his stone hands for a draft pick or halfway decent player or quality waterboy
Tucker moves back inside to his natural position, OG

Gaede

Reaction score
We should be targeting DJ or Brooks with that first #1. If we don't get one of them, then go for the best defensive lineman availbable. With the second first rounder, CB, or the other way around. Then, with our high 2nd rounder target Kevin Burnett...No one is talking about this guy, but he is a tough team leader, just the type of player that Parcells has been known to draft. He might fall to the second because of poor numbers, and some injury history, much like EJ Henderson two years ago. So;

1) Carlos Rogers (will rise come draft day)
1b) Spears
2) Kevin Burnett
4)OL

Eskimo

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
And a slow offense gets slower.

There is some validity to what you are saying.

Now with the emergence of Julius, we have some speed.

The loss of Glenn and the inability of Morgan to stretch the field has hurt us dearly at WR. I'm not sure what the prognosis is for Glenn but his injury is a serious one for a player who relies on quickness and explosiveness to play a big man's game. I agree that we have to look into bringing in a guy with speed. I side with some others who want Jerry Porter if he isn't tagged by the Raiders. He has Andre Johnson type potential that he is just beginning to tap into.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Time to address our age at WR is now.

Exactly what the Eagles did with their DB's a few years ago drafting CB's with their first 3 picks. Seamless transition from Vincent and Taylor to Brown, Sheppard, and Lewis.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
I think you go & get a FA FS so you know what your getting & simply plug him in...I also expect the lil tiny LBer experement to be nearing an end...
Yea that was obviously a failed bit, we ONLY won 3 super bowls.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WR/DT/DE in round 1a
WR/DT/DE/LB/FS in round 1b
WR/DT/LB/FS/DE in round 2.

I think we'll stick to those and trade down is they aren't available.

A possible mock is:
1a. Braylon Edwards
1b. Antajj Hawthorne
2. Matt Roth

We get bigger and deeper on the DL and add a big time WR.

In free agency we would have to add about 3 NFL caliber safeties, an OL, a QB and a LB.

We cut Singleton, Coakley, Gurode.

Noone

Reaction score
We should not spend a first round draft choice on a defensive tackle. Ask the St. Louis Rams.

We most likely will not spend a first round pick on a corner. Ask Bill Parcells.

We do have more than three holes to fill. Ask most everyone here.

I would think that with the 1A selection that we would target Mike Williams who would help the offense and the young QBs out emmensly.

After that, I think we beging to trade down with pick 1B and add selections.
A second round OLB, and CB would help the defense alot. By adding in extra selections we could land a DT and a "tweener" or two along the way.

Positions like DT and FS and RT should be filled in Free Agency.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Noone said:
We should not spend a first round draft choice on a defensive tackle. Ask the St. Louis Rams..
OR ask Jaxsonville, NE or Carolina

.[/QUOTE]We most likely will not spend a first round pick on a corner. Ask Bill Parcells.

I would think that with the 1A selection that we would target Mike Williams who would help the offense and the young QBs out emmensly.

A second round OLB, and CB would help the defense alot. By adding in extra selections we could land a DT and a "tweener" or two along the way.

Positions like DT and FS and RT should be filled in Free Agency.[/QUOTE]

Bobo

Reaction score
There's got to be a good pass rusher for the rde spot added somewhere. Not sure what FA's will be available, but there's a few good guys in the draft. Don't think the 1st pick will be high enough for DJ, so I'd guess the 1st pick should be DE or DT depending on what they decide to do with any FA's.

There should be some good wr's there in round 2, and I don't see that being as big a need as DE or DT or even safety.

ghst187

Reaction score
If we don't get Mike Williams in the first, I'd like to grab DJ or Brooks and try to get Terrence Murphy in the second. Go BPA with pick 1b or trade down a few and go BPA. There should be some good CBs available in the late first and early second still also.
Hopefully, we'll fix the DL in FA.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think this is what we'll do.

1. LB if Johnson or Brooks is available at our pick. If not, DT or DE.
2. If we get the LB, look for DT with the next pick.
3. Don't be surprise if we used a pick on a RB if the best defensive players come off the board. I know, I know, we have Julius Jones.

But I think Parcells' priority will be to strengthen the defensive front and to get adequate depth at running back. That's the type of offense he wants to run and defense he wants to play. I doubt very seriously we pick a wide receiver in this draft.

scottsp

Reaction score
Noone said:
We should not spend a first round draft choice on a defensive tackle. Ask the St. Louis Rams.

We most likely will not spend a first round pick on a corner. Ask Bill Parcells.

Positions like DT and FS and RT should be filled in Free Agency.

Defensive tackle can certainly be addressed in the first round - and in an extremely effective manner. I'm quite sure the Jags are ecstatic they drafted two such studs at DT. Of course, there are busts, but that's the case at many positions.

Just don't reach, take the BPA, and we should be fine. Drafting to fill needs, especially early on, will get a team in more hot water than just about anything, save piss poor cap management.

But to say we shoudn't draft a DT because it failed for the Rams is kinda silly. Should a team never draft a QB in the top five because Ryan Leaf busted? Never take an offensive tackle because the Packers screwed the pooch with Tony Mandarich.

We can play that game at many positions. Pretty silly.

Noone

Reaction score
Sure there have been cases when first round defensive tackles do make good.
But for every Stroud, Henderson and Seymour, there are more examples of wasted picks.

Quality DTs are available down the board. Kris Jenkins is a prime example of this, as is the player many here covet....Shaun Rogers.

Jason Ferguson maybe a top priority for us this off-season, and he was a seventh round selection.

I just don't see spending first round money on a position when similar type players can be had down the draft.

:skins:

scottsp

Reaction score
Noone said:
Sure there have been cases when first round defensive tackles do make good.
But for every Stroud, Henderson and Seymour, there are more examples of wasted picks.

Quality DTs are available down the board. Kris Jenkins is a prime example of this, as is the player many here covet....Shaun Rogers.

Jason Ferguson maybe a top priority for us this off-season, and he was a seventh round selection.

I just don't see spending first round money on a position when similar type players can be had down the draft.

Well, yeah. As I stated, you could play that game with a variety of positions. Take your pick.

Wide receivers? Hines Ward wasn't a first rounder. Neither was Chad Johnson. Joe Horn, taken in the fifth round. Terrell Owens and Muhsin Muhammad, not first rounders.

At any rate, you take the best player on your board. If it's a wideout, great. Defensive tackle, wonderful. You get in trouble by excluding/targeting certain types because of what position they play. There is always a premium on quarterbacks, left tackles, defensive tackles, and defensive ends.

There was at one time a premium on cornerbacks, but rules changes has made certain to that not being the case too much longer. The only positions I would prolly not look at in round one are offensive guards and free safety.

But yeah, defensive tackle, wide receiver, quarterback, running back - you name it. For every Jerry Rice taken in the first round, I can give you so many David Terrells, Travis Taylors, Peter Warricks, Troy Edwardses, Yatil Greens, etc.

Again, we can do that across the board. Stick to the board. Hard to go wrong with that. And truthfully, 2005 draft boards haven't even begun to take shape yet. We don't know what this draft will really look like. We have so little idea at this point.