In a vacuum, this was a good first day...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
mortboy;2056606 said:
Initially I thought the Bennett pick was a head scratcher. I thought about it for a while and maybe the thinking was like this. If god forbid Witten goes down during the season Fasano wouldn't cut it without seeing a huge drop in production. Maybe they think that Bennett provides that.

Also are we a stronger team now than we were at the end of the season? F. Jones I think will be better than Julius Jones. Pacman and Jenkins are better than Reeves and Nate Jones. The staff thinks Zach Thomas is an upgrade from Akin and maybe Burnett and Carpenter are equal or better than Akin.

I may be looking at the rosey side of this, but I think we have upgraded our team today.
That's a good point. Overall, we're better now than we were 2 months ago. We begin splitting hairs, but that's the nature of what we do as fans.

Nav22

Reaction score
Let's say Barber gets injured. Mendenhall would be our starter. Felix will not be.
Huh? Who would start over Felix if Barber got hurt?

I get what you're saying here, but I don't agree with it.

You don't draft for depth over a guy who can step in and be an impact player for you right off the bat... not in the 1st round, anyways.

I understand that it's just another argument for the pro-Mendenhall point of view, but we'll either draft another RB or sign one in free agency (Jerry hinted at this in his PC). We could still get our Barber backup, while Felix can resume his role as the home-run hitter getting 8-15 touches in the case of an injury to Barber.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;2056589 said:
Not according to Jerry.

There's a difference between being a starter and being a 25-carry-a-game back. Maybe I missed it during the press conference, but I never heard Jerry say Jones couldn't be a starter. Lots of starting running backs aren't 25-a-game backs -- including the two we rotated last year.

Yeah. Darn those personal opinions. How dare someone actually express their own opinion?

You have an opinion. Congratulations. Cookies are on the back table.

You like stats, huh Adam? Why don't you look at Cason's and Flowers's college pass stats?

So just because their college stats are somewhat similar, that means they have "equal" talent? Interesting.

braw

Reaction score
theogt;2056558 said:
There's nothing inherently wrong with the guys we picked. They're good values at where they're picked. They're talented players. And they will likely all contribute to our team.

But the draft doesn't happen in a vacuuum.

In context, we took a backup RB with our 1st overall pick, traded up for a guy when equal talent could have been had at our original position, and then of all things drafted a backup TE just hours after trading away our equally talented backup TE for peanuts.

In a vacuum, it's a good draft. Probably a very good draft. But in context, it just doesn't make sense. So I can see why there are two sides to this argument. But people shouldn't be upset about others not being happy with this draft in its context.

We drafted 3 starters. Felix jones will make our kick return team better and you can see jones and barber in the backfield together plus give barber some series off and run great off the I formation.

Pac man makes our punt return ALOT better. Jenkins will make our Special teams better and give us a great secondary(allowing to get williams off the field during passing downs)

Bennett will be the starter in the 2 TE sets and a big target on the goalline.

The NFL is all about packages(sets) Offense and deffense and Special teams. Also each package has its starters which makes our 3 picks starters not back ups. Jones, Jenkins, and Bennett will play every game(packages).

Plus could you see Mendenhall and Barber on the field at the same time(NO)

CowboyMort

Reaction score
theogt;2056608 said:
We begin splitting hairs, but that's the nature of what we do as fans.

True. I guess that is one of the reasons I am on this board.

kristie

Reaction score
mortboy;2056606 said:
Initially I thought the Bennett pick was a head scratcher. I thought about it for a while and maybe the thinking was like this. If god forbid Witten goes down during the season Fasano wouldn't cut it without seeing a huge drop in production. Maybe they think that Bennett provides that.

Also are we a stronger team now than we were at the end of the season? F. Jones I think will be better than Julius Jones. Pacman and Jenkins are better than Reeves and Nate Jones. The staff thinks Zach Thomas is an upgrade from Akin and maybe Burnett and Carpenter are equal or better than Akin.

I may be looking at the rosey side of this, but I think we have upgraded our team today.

i think so too. the cowboys made the right picks in the draft.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2056611 said:
There's a difference between being a starter and being a 25-carry-a-game back. Maybe I missed it during the press conference, but I never heard Jerry say Jones couldn't be a starter. Lots of starting running backs aren't 25-a-game backs -- including the two we rotated last year.
Yup, it appears you missed it.

You have an opinion. Congratulations. Cookies are on the back table.
No cookies necessary. I'm content with starting a thread to express my opinion. That's partly what threads on a sports forum are for, no?

So just because their college stats are somewhat similar, that means they have "equal" talent? Interesting.
They're not somewhat similar. Flowers' are significantly better. And in terms of athletic talent, Flowers has significantly better agility numbers. The only deficit for Flowers is his straight line speed. But apparently that wasn't enough to keep him from being a better college player.

heir

Reaction score
I actually like the fact that Dallas, for once, didn't try get too cute. They had players they liked on their board and made moves to make sure they got them. Why take the chance of standing at 28 and seeing the guy they wanted get picked? Give up the 5th and 7th and get Jenkins if he is the highest rated corner on your board. It's not likely a 5th or 7th rounder was making this team anyway.

The TE is a really my only problem. I remember when we drafted Fasano I got blasted on this board for saying it was a dumb pick. Now I think the trade was dumb. I really don't know much about Bennett but I don't see why you would trade a 2nd rd TE just to draft another one? Could have maybe gotted an OL or DT hear. Hopefully Bennett can prove his worth quickly

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
This is a great way to look at the draft we just had.

Regarding the TE's. When we made the trade, it made a pretty good amount of sense...because I thought that Tony Curtis did a good job for us...and the Miami pick is essentially a 3rd rounder.

That's the only one I really don't get.

Alot of posters on this board were calling for a RB and a CB in round 1. The concensus amongst everone was RB WR CB in round 1. So from that stand point, the round 1 picks make sense. Just because it's not the RB you wanted doens't mean the position was not addressed.

We still got another day of these charades to go anyway before we can really see what happens.

As much as I doubt it happens, whoever mentioned Roy Williams being moved, I could sort of see it happen.

Nav22

Reaction score
Like Jerry Jones, perhaps? Who said that the dropoff between the corners at the top and the 5th or 6th corners wasn't much at all?
You're not making any sense here.

If Jerry himself... didn't think there was any significant difference in talent between Jenkins, Cason, and Flowers... why would he trade up for Jenkins?

If he really felt the way you're saying he did, he'd have stayed at 28.
Now you're simply lying. He picked Jones as the best complement, but NEVER did he say he couldn't handle the full load in the case of a Barber injury or something. So that's just speculation on your part.
They're not somewhat similar. Flowers' are significantly better.
Eric Crouch's college career blows Romo's away. Let's cut Romo and sign Crouch to be our starter.

Yes, measurables matter.
The only deficit for Flowers is his straight line speed.
More spin, I see.

Aside from the much better 40 time, Jenkins has the advantage in height, benched more reps, and had a higher vertical.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
theogt;2056615 said:

No cookies necessary. I'm content with starting a thread to express my opinion. That's partly what threads on a sports forum are for, no?

They're not somewhat similar. Flowers' are significantly better. And in terms of athletic talent, Flowers has significantly better agility numbers. The only deficit for Flowers is his straight line speed. But apparently that wasn't enough to keep him from being a better college player.

In the NFL, your playing the best of the best. Speed kills. Period. Im not saying being fast makes you a great corner.... Ala Phillip Buchannon, Deangelo Hall etc. But you pretty much HAVE to have great speed to match up in the NFL today. Name the top 5 wrs in the league, and they all have great speed. Name the top 5 corners and I bet you don't name one who ran 4.5+ at the combine.

Nav22

Reaction score
Name the top 5 corners and I bet you don't name one who ran 4.5+ at the combine.
Ding ding ding!

Like I said, measurables matter. I looked up the 40 times of some of today's top CBs (Terence Newman, Asante Samuel, Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomugha, Charles Woodson, Nate Clements), and you were right. NOT ONE ran a 4.5+.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;2056615 said:

Perhaps you could point out what part of Jerry's comments you interpret to mean that Jones can't be a starter.

But why should anyone care about your personal opinion if you have nothing to back it up?

They're not somewhat similar. Flowers' are significantly better.

That's not true. Flowers' numbers *appear* to be better because they leave out anything he allowed against someone other than the main receiver he covered each game. Jenkins' numbers do not -- they include everything he allowed. When you compare stats compiled in different ways, you get a flawed comparison. If you count only the passes they allowed to the main player they covered in each game, Flowers allowed 19 catches for 198 yards, and Jenkins allowed 19 for 221 (minus one, two or three catches in the bowl game, and probably some yards).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2056558 said:
There's nothing inherently wrong with the guys we picked. They're good values at where they're picked. They're talented players. And they will likely all contribute to our team.

In context, we took a backup RB with our 1st overall pick, traded up for a guy when equal talent could have been had at our original position, and then of all things drafted a backup TE just hours after trading away our equally talented backup TE for peanuts.

In a vacuum, it's a good draft. Probably a very good draft. But in context, it just doesn't make sense. So I can see why there are two sides to this argument. But people shouldn't be upset about others not being happy with this draft in its context.

I don't understand the need to trade up for a CB we sitting at 28 two CB's we have our eye on Jenkins and Cason. Chargers need a CB why move up three spots. No one was going to trade up for a CB. Then we take a RB if we felt a need to trade up for Jenkins why not just take him at 22 it makes zero sense and don't get me started on that TE and then in a 7 round draft we have only 6 picks. Jerry got cute and out thunk himself and dropped the ball big time.

Nav22

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to trade up for a CB we sitting at 28 two CB's we have our eye on Jenkins and Cason.
The Texans might've taken Jenkins at 26, and the Chargers DID take Cason at 27.
Then we take a RB if we felt a need to trade up for Jenkins why not just take him at 22
The Titans would've taken Felix over Chris Johnson if he was there at 24.

There, make sense now?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Nav22;2056740 said:
The Texans might've taken Jenkins at 26, and the Chargers DID take Cason at 27.The Titans would've taken Felix over Chris Johnson if he was there at 24.

There, make sense now?

no it doesn't make any sense. Even if they Titans go Felix at 24 and 26 is Jenkins and 27 is Cason then 28 Johnson would be better than 22 Felix. Either way your scenario doesn't work out because it doesn't account for our pick at 22 so either you assume we go Jenkins or Cason at 22 or we pass up on both totally or we pass up on a RB or CB with our 1st pick. I don't understand Kenny Phillips who was supposed to be ranked 3 on the cowboys board just was allowed to slide by. If we go Kenny at 22 then we have more options and flexible to choose from between CB and RB within picks 23-27. we would have Mendenhall Jenkins Johnson Jones Cason unless the teams a head of us decide to pick up those players in that order we still end up with one or two players that we like or we end up with a senior prospect with a short learning curve either way you look at it. Senior prospect > JR hyped players (Jenkins Jones)

Nav22

Reaction score
no it doesn't make any sense.
Then I'm sorry I tried. Your post was rambling and nonsensical. Jerry's maneuvers don't "make sense" just because you don't like the players he took?

We liked Felix as our complementary RB, not Chris Johnson. So no, Johnson at 28 is not better than Felix at 22.

You do understand Jerry and Co. actually have a preference of players, right? They don't just decide on a position and feel indifferent about which players at that position fall to them.

Your Kenny Phillips suggestion is absurd. Our 2 biggest 1st round needs were at RB and CB, and that's what we got. Why would S + left-over RB/CB be better than the exact RB we wanted + the exact CB we wanted?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
theogt;2056558 said:

Did you ever watch Arkansas play this year? I only seen clips and heard a few things, but Felix can domuch more than come in an relieve Barber.

In Arkansas, Felix and McFadden were on the field same time. McFadden played QB for some of those plays when he was in. There are many more options with Felix than just handing him the ball while Barber is onthe bench.

As far as Jenkins goes, I absolutely love that pick right there and Jerry was a genious to make the move up and getting him. We got one of the top 3 CBs, top guy in some peoples eyes. This was a great pickup.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2056678 said:
Perhaps you could point out what part of Jerry's comments you interpret to mean that Jones can't be a starter.
Perhaps it was where he said he wouldn't call him a guy that could be a starter.

But why should anyone care about your personal opinion if you have nothing to back it up?
Oh, but I do have plenty to back up my opinion. I've done it time and time again in this regard.

That's not true. Flowers' numbers *appear* to be better because they leave out anything he allowed against someone other than the main receiver he covered each game. Jenkins' numbers do not -- they include everything he allowed. When you compare stats compiled in different ways, you get a flawed comparison. If you count only the passes they allowed to the main player they covered in each game, Flowers allowed 19 catches for 198 yards, and Jenkins allowed 19 for 221 (minus one, two or three catches in the bowl game, and probably some yards).
Actually, your numbers are wrong. Jenkins allowed 28 passes for 348 yards, on 8 LESS passes. He also gave up more TDs and got less INTs.

If you want to look at it in terms of QB rating, Flowers' was significantly better: 12 to 38.