CFZ In defence of Mike McCarthy

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm going to be making two different threads with my thoughts on the game. This thread is in reference to defending Mike McCarthy on his decision to go for it on 4th down in OT.

I know that there are fans upset with Mike McCarthy for this game. However, in regards to the play, I'm going to offer a defence for his decision.

1. Situation - the difference between kicking the field goal and going for it was nearly negligible. If we made the field goal, then Green Bay still needs to score a TD to win or a FG to tie. If he kicks it and it's missed, then he's getting criticised for attempting a kick that gave us slightly worse field position by virtue of the miss than failing to go for it. Given the spot on the field, a missed FG was a likely outcome, especially as we didn't kick a FG all game. If he makes the 4th down, then, should a field goal become necessary later, then it's an easier field goal attempt for Maher in the cold weather of Lambeau Field.
  2. Elephant in the Room - Our defence wasn't playing well, and Aaron Rodgers was in the other sideline. Let's say that we make the field goal, which was far from a guarantee. Do you really think our defence is keeping Aaron Rodgers from getting at least a FG? I don't think so. Especially with how poorly we were playing on defence, I have no reason to think our defence holds up on that drive.
  3. Trends - Not only was our defence playing poorly, but we had gotten the first down on every 4th down attempt in the game up until that point. So, it was the correct decision, imo, to trust the offense that had been successful up until that point.
  4. Combining points 2 and 3, the big advantage of going for it was that, should we make it, a TD wins the game without giving Rodgers the ball back, and we were using an offense that was very good on 4th down.

In conclusion to this thread, the Mike McCarthy made the correct decision to go for it on 4th down in that situation. If we were to have kicked it, then we still give the ball back to Rodgers, and Mike, more than anyone, knows what Rodgers is capable of doing if he gets the ball back. Even with a FG, he's likely scoring a TD. So, by going for it, he gave the team a chance to try to win the game without giving Rodgers the ball back. The playcall and execution were poor. However, the decision to go for it was correct.

snadler

Reaction score
The decision to go for it wasn’t terrible, the decision to pass on 3rd and 4 if you knew you were going for it on 4th down was 1 mistake and the second was the 4th down play call itself. With that said, MM is not going to win anything here, the sooner they move on from him the better

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
there is no defense for anyone on this team and how they performed tonight.

Let me tell you something—
If Dallas is to EVER win an actual big game under the bright lights, the universe is getting ready to collapse in on itself. That’s how you know the world is ending. It’s written in all the doomsday predictions: “the cowboys will win a big game! The day of the game is the beginning of the end!”

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
The decision to go for it wasn’t terrible, the decision to pass on 3rd and 4 if you knew you were going for it on 4th down was 1 mistake and the second was the 4th down play call itself. With that said, MM is not going to win anything here, the sooner they move on from him the better
I agree with this take and thought we should have run and run, or run and RPO. However, even with passing, that 3rd down play would have, in all likelihood, been completed had CeeDee not had his arms pulled down before the ball got there. We wouldn't even be arguing this if the referees had been doing their actual job. That is the most frustrating part for me; always waiting for the Cowboys to get screwed by the refs.

snadler

Reaction score
I agree with this take and thought we should have run and run, or run and RPO. However, even with passing, that 3rd down play would have, in all likelihood, been completed had CeeDee not had his arms pulled down before the ball got there. We wouldn't even be arguing this if the referees had been doing their actual job. That is the most frustrating part for me; always waiting for the Cowboys to get screwed by the refs.

Was it a PI, probably, but run the ball so you aren’t blaming the refs..it’s always something

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

In fairness, I thought that the 3rd and 4 call was a good one. Frankly, that should have been DPI on Green Bay as the CB was all over Lamb on that play. So, if that was called as it should have been, then the 4th down play isn't even a factor. However, it wasn't, and I think a pass play was a correct way to call it. I suppose giving Dak the option to run would work too, but I think the threat of the pass was needed, and the online broke down on the play. It was just bad luck really.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Was it a PI, probably, but run the ball so you aren’t blaming the refs..it’s always something

I can see that, and running the ball might have been a better decision. However, I wasn't upset with the decision on 3rd and 4 either. I think the play would've worked if the CB didn't grab Lamb before the ball got there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
there is no defense for anyone on this team and how they performed tonight.

Let me tell you something—
If Dallas is to EVER win an actual big game under the bright lights, the universe is getting ready to collapse in on itself. That’s how you know the world is ending. It’s written in all the doomsday predictions: “the cowboys will win a big game! The day of the game is the beginning of the end!”

As someone who's never seen success with this team, I will push back on this. Yes, the team didn't play well overall. However, given the circumstances, there are some plays that are defencible, and this was one of them. It was unlucky really, but it was the correct decision from Mike McCarthy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Probably should have made the adjustment and lined Diggs up on that one kid

Yes, him on Watson would've been better. However, I do think it'd have been interesting putting in Diggs at WR during OT for one or two plays. All we needed was a TD in OT, and Diggs doesn't have to play defence in OT. Just an interesting idea.

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm going to be making two different threads with my thoughts on the game. This thread is in reference to defending Mike McCarthy on his decision to go for it on 4th down in OT.

I know that there are fans upset with Mike McCarthy for this game. However, in regards to the play, I'm going to offer a defence for his decision.

1. Situation - the difference between kicking the field goal and going for it was nearly negligible. If we made the field goal, then Green Bay still needs to score a TD to win or a FG to tie. If he kicks it and it's missed, then he's getting criticised for attempting a kick that gave us slightly worse field position by virtue of the miss than failing to go for it. Given the spot on the field, a missed FG was a likely outcome, especially as we didn't kick a FG all game. If he makes the 4th down, then, should a field goal become necessary later, then it's an easier field goal attempt for Maher in the cold weather of Lambeau Field.
  2. Elephant in the Room - Our defence wasn't playing well, and Aaron Rodgers was in the other sideline. Let's say that we make the field goal, which was far from a guarantee. Do you really think our defence is keeping Aaron Rodgers from getting at least a FG? I don't think so. Especially with how poorly we were playing on defence, I have no reason to think our defence holds up on that drive.
  3. Trends - Not only was our defence playing poorly, but we had gotten the first down on every 4th down attempt in the game up until that point. So, it was the correct decision, imo, to trust the offense that had been successful up until that point.
  4. Combining points 2 and 3, the big advantage of going for it was that, should we make it, a TD wins the game without giving Rodgers the ball back, and we were using an offense that was very good on 4th down.

In conclusion to this thread, the Mike McCarthy made the correct decision to go for it on 4th down in that situation. If we were to have kicked it, then we still give the ball back to Rodgers, and Mike, more than anyone, knows what Rodgers is capable of doing if he gets the ball back. Even with a FG, he's likely scoring a TD. So, by going for it, he gave the team a chance to try to win the game without giving Rodgers the ball back. The playcall and execution were poor. However, the decision to go for it was correct.
I agree. I was all for going for it. We kick a field goal and make it. We still have to stop them from scoring a TD. I liked the "go for the win" call cuz our defense wasn't going to stop them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree. I was all for going for it. We kick a field goal and make it. We still have to stop them from scoring a TD. I liked the "go for the win" call cuz our defense wasn't going to stop them.

Exactly, the goal is to try to take the ball out of Rodgers's hands. Going for it and making it does that. It's the correct decision imo.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
There isn’t much of any kind of defense for how flat they came out. Two weeks, one to rest up clear your mind the second to prepare for a beaten and battered 3-5 team and this the best kind of effort you can put up? Nope no excuses they clear as day crapped the stick and they know they did. They spent more time sniffing themselves the last week rather than get ready for the packers.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Situation - the difference between kicking the field goal and going for it was nearly negligible. If we made the field goal, then Green Bay still needs to score a TD to win or a FG to tie. If he kicks it and it's missed, then he's getting criticised for attempting a kick that gave us slightly worse field position by virtue of the miss than failing to go for it. Given the spot on the field, a missed FG was a likely outcome, especially as we didn't kick a FG all game. If he makes the 4th down, then, should a field goal become necessary later, then it's an easier field goal attempt for Maher in the cold weather of Lambeau Field.

Elephant in the Room - Our defence wasn't playing well, and Aaron Rodgers was in the other sideline. Let's say that we make the field goal, which was far from a guarantee. Do you really think our defence is keeping Aaron Rodgers from getting at least a FG? I don't think so. Especially with how poorly we were playing on defence, I have no reason to think our defence holds up on that drive.

Trends - Not only was our defence playing poorly, but we had gotten the first down on every 4th down attempt in the game up until that point. So, it was the correct decision, imo, to trust the offense that had been successful up until that point.

Combining points 2 and 3, the big advantage of going for it was that, should we make it, a TD wins the game without giving Rodgers the ball back, and we were using an offense that was very good on 4th down.

In conclusion to this thread, the Mike McCarthy made the correct decision to go for it on 4th down in that situation. If we were to have kicked it, then we still give the ball back to Rodgers, and Mike, more than anyone, knows what Rodgers is capable of doing if he gets the ball back. Even with a FG, he's likely scoring a TD. So, by going for it, he gave the team a chance to try to win the game without giving Rodgers the ball bnack. The playcall and execution were poor. However, th decision to go for it was correct.

Reason number 2,
We have a winner

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There isn’t much of any kind of defense for how flat they came out. Two weeks, one to rest up clear your mind the second to prepare for a beaten and battered 3-5 team and this the best kind of effort you can put up? Nope no excuses they clear as day crapped the stick and they know they did. They spent more time sniffing themselves the last week rather than get ready for the packers.

Yes, we came out flat. I'm not defending that. I'm mainly defending the OT decision on 4th down.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Yes, we came out flat. I'm not defending that. I'm mainly defending the OT decision on 4th down.

I got ya and get what you were saying. I definitely agree that going for it was the right decision based on the flow of the game. If I’m Big Mike I may start having a say in what’s being called because ultimately he will be the one to answer for it. Dak dropping back to throw 46 times isn’t a winning formula. I believe had they ran and even if it had required two runs they get the first and possibly a completely different outcome who knows. It is what it is, hopefully they get their crap in order and go down and kick the Vikings ***. I expected a split with these two except the win coming today and the loss next week. It’s the NFL crazy stuff happens so you never know.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I got ya and get what you were saying. I definitely agree that going for it was the right decision based on the flow of the game. If I’m Big Mike I may start having a say in what’s being called because ultimately he will be the one to answer for it. Dak dropping back to throw 46 times isn’t a winning formula. I believe had they ran and even if it had required two runs they get the first and possibly a completely different outcome who knows. It is what it is, hopefully they get their crap in order and go down and kick the Vikings ***. I expected a split with these two except the win coming today and the loss next week. It’s the NFL crazy stuff happens so you never know.

Definitely, and Moore still has a lot to learn. Jerry meddled as usual, and it's having the usual result. Mike needs to step in on playcalling in situations like this. He's got a lot of experience, which is important.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I can’t defend his constant decisions to take the ball first after winning the toss. Dallas is usually a better 2nd half team, get that extra possession.

Definitely, and we need to use our second half strengths to our advantage. When we win the toss, we need the ball in the second half. It's hard to come out firing early.