Indy lost because of over-coaching; not Peyton

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
After watching Indy lose, I'm not sure you can say it is entirely Peyton's fault. Or call him a choker. Or say that he can't win the big game.

The reason they lost is over-coaching.

What I mean by this is that the team was rusty because of not playing a meaningful game in 5 weeks. When Indy locked up the first round bye, Dungy decided to bench everyone. On the premise that one of this players might get hurt, he chose to kill any momentum they might have in the name of safety.

It would seem wiser for a team to keep its players rolling as they approach the playoffs especially when that team has a first round bye. So when they get to their game, they are not rusty and are used to playing well.

This team sleep-walked into the playoffs because of locking it up so early and wound up spotting Pitt 14 points in the first quarter.

Now surely some of this is Peyton's fault. I think he played fairly well, but he certainly wasn't playing like he was when this team won its first 13 games. He looked rusty, especially in the first quarter. But so did the rest of the team. The o-line looked atrocious in the first half, despite being good all year. There were numerous muffed kicks by Indy. Edge looked weak in the first quarter. The defense was porous in the first half. And Peyton is subject to the same rust as everyone else.

I don't know how much of that you can attribute to him being rusty or to him being a big-game choke artist. My thoughts, watching the game, is that it mostly due to rust. His performance in the fourth quarter was vastly different than his performance in the first quarter.

In the end, if Vanderjagt makes that field goal and Indy wins in overtime, does that make Peyton a big-game winner? I don't think so.

But from start to finish, I think the best explanation for the play across the board was rust.

juck

Reaction score
i agree they were obviously rusty,pitt isnt that good.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Or you could say the Steelers punch them in the mouth and Indy did'nt punch BACK

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I disagree that Manning played "fairly well". He was completely off until the fourth quarter. And a lot of that was due to the interior pass rush of Pittsburgh and Polamalu's blitzing.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Rather it's Manning's fault or not,the fact is,he didn't win big games in college.The first year after he left Tennessee,they won the national title.In the NFL,he has a 3-6 playoff record.In 1999 he had home field advantage and lost at home to Tennessee,and home field this year and lost to Pittsburgh.I don't really know what arguments you could make for the guy.It used to be if they could just get home field they would win.Then they needed a defense,well that defense was pretty good this year.There are no more excuses.Until this team can win a championship,especially with all that talent,they are simply chokers.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Pittsburg won because of 1 reason, but it's a huge reason. Pittsburgh won in the trenches on both sides of the ball....Period.

RoyWilliams

Reaction score
I don't know about "over-coaching", the Colts protection schemes looked awful. Maybe it's just me but Dungy looked lost on the sidelines and was trumped by Peyton when he overrode his coach to go for it on fourth down.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Steelers: <Polamalu picks> "We'd like the win now please."

Refs: "Um, no."

Indi: "Nah, we'd really like it if we can make one of the best post-season comebacks ever."

Steelers: "No problem, we'll help you out."

Manning: "Nevermind. I need to make sure everyone keeps talking about how I choke in the high pressured post-season. Why don't you guys sack me a few times and finish us off?"

Bettis: "Dude, no way. I'd much rather see you *** it up against the Broncos. Here, take the ball back with only our slow-*** QB to keep you from scoring the go-ahead TD with 15 seconds on the clock."

Roethlisberger: "Well, I'm at least gonna make it tough for you."

Manning: "I appreciate the extra chance. I'll make sure we're in FG range to send us into OT."

Drunken Kicker: "Nah...I can't have us threatening to go to the Superbowl. How 'bout I just shank this so far to the right that one of the fans sitting on the 5 yard line will take home a souvenir?"

Broncos: "Thanks guys!"

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
How the hell is it that when they were 13-0 Peyton got all of the credit but when they lose it falls on Dungy? That's crap!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Draegerman said:
Steelers: <Polamalu picks> "We'd like the win now please."

Refs: "Um, no."

Indi: "Nah, we'd really like it if we can make one of the best post-season comebacks ever."

Steelers: "No problem, we'll help you out."

Manning: "Nevermind. I need to make sure everyone keeps talking about how I choke in the high pressured post-season. Why don't you guys sack me a few times and finish us off?"

Bettis: "Dude, no way. I'd much rather see you *** it up against the Broncos. Here, take the ball back with only our slow-*** QB to keep you from scoring the go-ahead TD with 15 seconds on the clock."

Roethlisberger: "Well, I'm at least gonna make it tough for you."

Manning: "I appreciate the extra chance. I'll make sure we're in FG range to send us into OT."

Drunken Kicker: "Nah...I can't have us threatening to go to the Superbowl. How 'bout I just shank this so far to the right that one of the fans sitting on the 5 yard line will take home a souvenir?"

Broncos: "Thanks guys!"

:lmao: