Injuries deplete Cards line

Gent

Reaction score
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Injuries deplete Cards line
2 starters out for Saturday's game

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 12, 2005 12:00 AM

PRESCOTT - If the offensive line is really the key to the Cardinals' success, call the locksmith. There's a game Saturday.

Two starters, center Alex Stepanovich (hand) and right tackle Oliver Ross (knee), will be missing from a line that needs to give quarterback Kurt Warner time to throw and running back J.J. Arrington lanes in which to run.

Free-agent addition Ian Allen, who has 11 career starts (all in 2003), will replace Ross, and 2004 sixth-round draft pick Nick Leckey will make his first start at center when the Cardinals open the preseason against the Dallas Cowboys at 7 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium. advertisement

There is a concern putting Warner behind a depleted line, Cardinals coach Dennis Green said.

"Absolutely, but Kurt will be aware of that when we go out to play," Green said. "I think we just have to watch what we're doing and emphasize to the other guys that when you go in there, protect the quarterback. Go in there, do your job and finish the play.

"We've lost a few guys, some key starters for us, but the show has to go on. I think the other guys will have a chance to show they belong on our team."

Green also said Ross' knee injury isn't serious. The team won't know the status of Stepanovich's hand until today.

The Cardinals signed rookie free agent Chad Bandiera Wednesday to back up Leckey at center, even though Bandiera was a three-year starter at guard and tackle at Kent State.

Centers and guards have the same blocking assignments, and Green said that he likes finding guards who can snap the ball.
[/font]

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Denny may sacrifice McCown or Navarre.

Or both.

Yeah, I don't think Warner will be in for more than 2 series. Maybe only one if gets really ugly for them.
No excuses for some of our our draft picks and improved players like Coleman and B James to show us something tomorrow night.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You think maybe we hear the term "jailbreak" a few times in the game tomorrow night?

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
You think maybe we hear the term "jailbreak" a few times in the game tomorrow night?

I hope so, this will be a few times more than we have heard it over the past 10 years...at least as far as the Cowboys are concerned.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Zona's O-line sounds made-to-order if you're into confidence builders for our passrush.

if we don't pressure the QB Sat. nite - i'm looking for the tallest building in a 40-mile radius.

i wonder whose barn that would be?

:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

JK. there actually some decent grain elevators 'round here.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Another thing of interest will be involving the new 3-4 scheme which in today's NFL means bringing that fourth and fifth man in the pass rush from all different directions. So along with Ware bringing it we get our first chance to see how creative Zimmer is going to be in the new system. Be great to see Roy in 2003 form and getting close to the line and wreaking havoc. Using Roy the way he did was one of the few things Campo did right in his stay here.

OH CRAP!!!! Hope I didnt just turn this in to a Campo thread :eek: !

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Good. The Cowboys are missing Ferguson and Spears, probably their two best linemen for the 3-4. This should even the odds and allow the linebackers to make more plays.

hendog

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
Zona's O-line sounds made-to-order if you're into confidence builders for our passrush.

if we don't pressure the QB Sat. nite - i'm looking for the tallest building in a 40-mile radius.

i wonder whose barn that would be?

:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

JK. there actually some decent grain elevators 'round here.

Now that right there's some funny sh!t.