Intentional grounding...

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
How can we tell if receivers ran a wrong route or hot read. Does it even matter?

Rothlisberger actually hit a d-lineman and still got called for grounding. I'd like to know the details of the rule besides 1)the QB has to be out of the pocket, 2)the ball has to pass the LOS, or 3) a receiver has to be in the area if the first 2 pieces of criteria are not met.

cowboys4life

Reaction score
my thing if you think about ...why isnt spiking the ball aka kill the clock play ..intentional grounding? hehehe :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Paniolo22;2279771 said:
How can we tell if receivers ran a wrong route or hot read. Does it even matter?

Rothlisberger actually his a d-lineman and still got called for grounding. I'd like to know the details of the rule besides 1)the QB has to be out of the pocket, 2)the ball has to pass the LOS, or 3) a receiver has to be in the area if the first 2 pieces of criteria are not met.

I think you mean O-lineman and an OL is not an eligible receiver so its grounding.

The call on big ben was good in the end cause it should have been a safety, granted not for intentional grounding but because he was down.

superpunk

Reaction score
What Roethlisberger did should not have been intentional grounding because (1) #21 was in the vicinity and (b) the ball was tipped off course by a defensive lineman.

Now, ultimately the right result came down, because Ben was down by contact in the end zone before releasing the ball, and therefore it should have been a safety - but it was not CALLED on the field correctly.

The officials seem confused as to what intentional grounding is, or they are too pigheaded to listen when it is conveyed to them by the players or coaches why a call is not grounding. In any case, the officiating this year has been pretty pathetic.

cowboys4life

Reaction score
yeah there has been some terrible officiating this year....

i hope that trend straightens out....

bad officiating and a lot of injuries

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The grounding rule is terrible. They have all these rules to protect the QB, but you can't throw a ball away unless you're outside the pocket. What does that have to do with anything? It's your pass and if you want to waste it, either to avoid a sack or your WRs are covered, it's your choice.

The second one against Romo was horrible. The WR ran a go and Tony threw an out. An incompletion, not a penalty.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
bkight13;2279805 said:
The grounding rule is terrible. They have all these rules to protect the QB, but you can't throw a ball away unless you're outside the pocket. What does that have to do with anything? It's your pass and if you want to waste it, either to avoid a sack or your WRs are covered, it's your choice.

The second one against Romo was horrible. The WR ran a go and Tony threw an out. An incompletion, not a penalty.

That's what it looked like to me. Miscommunication, not grounding. I guess it's just Ref's discretion.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
cowboys4life;2279776 said:
my thing if you think about ...why isnt spiking the ball aka kill the clock play ..intentional grounding? hehehe

Because the rulebook says it's not grounding. But the quarterback has to take a direct snap from center (no shotgun) and immediately spike it.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2279812 said:
Because the rulebook says it's not grounding. But the quarterback has to take a direct snap from center (no shotgun) and immediately spike it.

Any specifics on the rule Adam? Miscommunication ever taken into consideration?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2279812 said:

Hey Adam, what does the rule say about getting rid of the ball, once you're out of the tackle box? Do you have to get it to the scrimage line or can you just pitch it out to the side line, as was the case with Rodgers Sunday night?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2279818 said:
Hey Adam, what does the rule say about getting rid of the ball, once you're out of the tackle box? Do you have to get it to the scrimage line or can you just pitch it out to the side line, as was the case with Rodgers Sunday night?

Rogers got it past the line. He wasn't very deep when he threw it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.
2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

One of the things officials so often neglect to consider, and what cost us in the playoff game last season, is that the QB needs to be facing an imminent loss of yardage. If you're in the pocket, and not about to be sacked , you can throw it wherever you want.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2279817 said:
Any specifics on the rule Adam? Miscommunication ever taken into consideration?

No. If you're in the pocket and under pressure, you have to throw the ball near an eligible receiver.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2279826 said:
Rogers got it past the line. He wasn't very deep when he threw it.

Was he? I didn't realize that. He just looked as if he pitched it to the sideline. When I saw that, I thougth that it could have been a flag. Obviously, that's why nothing was thrown.

Thank you Adam. I appriciate that.