Intentional Grounding

links18

Reaction score
OK, after this game I can honestly say I have no idea anymore what constitutes intentional grounding in the NFL. Can anyone help sort this out and how it applied to the call/non-calls in today's game? :bang2:

The Panch

Reaction score
It shouldnt have been called cause Owens was headed in the direction the ball was going, but stopped cause of a miscommunication. If there would have been no one even running in that direction and Romo threw it while still in the pocket, it would've been intentional grounding.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hasselbeck threw a ball into the ground with no one in sight, but they didn't call it. I need clarification too.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
links18;2447716 said:
OK, after this game I can honestly say I have no idea anymore what constitutes intentional grounding in the NFL. Can anyone help sort this out and how it applied to the call/non-calls in today's game? :bang2:
Yea. if you are the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, anything is IG. if you are the other team playing Dallas. it will never be called.just look at the call on Romo today. and the none calls on Jason Cambell 2 weeks ago. the refs are a joke.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
That was a bad call, and you can tell the refs didn't know what they were doing cause they stopped the flow of the game to think about if there is a loss of a down or not.

links18

Reaction score
On at least 3 separate occasions, Hasselbeck--while in the pocket--threw the ball away under heavy pressure, yet no call. What gives?

SilberBlau

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2447753 said:
Hasselbeck threw a ball into the ground with no one in sight, but they didn't call it. I need clarification too.

Clarification: They blew it.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone in the NFL has been called for grounding more than Romo?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
mrla;2447939 said:
I wonder if anyone in the NFL has been called for grounding more than Romo?

They hit him with something similar in the Green Bay game.

SacredStar

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2447753 said:

Shaun Hill did that 3 times last week, and again, no calls.

cmacch

Reaction score
Basically the intentional grounding rule only applies to Dalls/Tony Romo, because I haven't seen any other team get called on it.
It's bull crap, if you ask me.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
cmacch;2448019 said:
Basically the intentional grounding rule only applies to Dalls/Tony Romo, because I haven't seen any other team get called on it.
It's bull crap, if you ask me.

Correct! You have to wear a big blue star on your uniform to get all the "SPECIAL" calls.:bang2:

Reaction score
links18;2447716 said:

Here is the NFL's definition...

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.
  2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
  3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).
I can't figure out where those calls/non calls came from based on what I am interpreting...:mad:

links18

Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2448075 said:
Here is the NFL's definition...

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.
  2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
  3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).
I can't figure out where those calls/non calls came from based on what I am interpreting...:mad:

Wow! Based on that, refs are missing grounding calls all over the league and nobody is making a peep about it. I didn't hear Aikman or Buck once complain about the officials missing obvious grounding calls against Hasslebeck today. I also noticed Cassell doing the same thing last night on NFL replay and no call and no complaint from the analysts. What gives?:mad:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Look at the non-calls against Washington, and then the call against Romo and you really have to scratch your head and wonder why they are picking on Romo.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It drives me nuts.

I think of RULES that were created SPECIFICALLY for Cowboys players over the years:

Emmitt Helmet Rule
Roy Horesecollar
etc....

It seems they got more creative with Romo.... no Rule for him just one that already existed that is exercised ESPECIALLY for him.

Like Mike Tyson would say... "its lootiquiss"