Interesting article about being NFL fit or fat

Angus

Reaction score
Lions can tell who's fit and flabby

Team uses modern methods to measure body fat, which is key to players' fitness.

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- There is a difference between being fit and fat, and weight is only part of the formula.

The Lions are one of many NFL teams that regularly test players to determine what percentage of body weight is lean muscle mass or fat. To maximize fitness, a player's percentage of body fat should fall within a range, which is based on his position.

The Lions use the Bod Pod system, developed by Life Measurement Inc., which uses air-displacement technology to measure body fat.

"In part of getting a player as fit as you can, you want to determine what body weight he should play at to play his best," said Jason Arapoff, chief strength and conditioning coach for the Lions.

"We have an idea of what a player should weigh to play the position at a certain level. Some of that is inherent to the position. Some of that is our experience with that particular player."

The Bod Pod, which resembles a small space capsule, is used by the NFL to test college players at the annual Combine workouts in Indianapolis.

"It is the gold standard for measuring body composition," Arapoff said. "When a guy's body changes, we can't assume that he gained good weight or bad weight. It's a good way to determine how his body is changing."

Linemen are allowed the highest percentage of body fat because they need bulk to compete at their position. The highest range for any position is defensive tackles, at 22 percent to 26 percent body fat.

Other position percentages: offensive line (20-24); defensive ends and tight ends (16-20); linebackers, quarterbacks, kickers and punters (10-14); cornerbacks and wide receivers (6-10); running backs (8-13); safeties (8-12).

It is a misconception most players have trouble losing weight, Arapoff said. A bigger issue is keeping their weight up during the season.

Arapoff cited offensive tackle Rex Tucker, signed as a free agent during the offseason, as an example of a player who gains weight during the season.

"Most of the time, we assume the guy is overweight, he's fat," Arapoff said. "The majority of our guys are trying to maintain their weight or gain weight. More guys on the team are trying to get bigger and more muscular than there are fat guys trying to get smaller."

Tucker plays at 308, but his weight drops to 285 during the offseason.

"Then he spends time in a logical manner getting bigger and stronger and more fit," Arapoff said. "He's not a natural 308. He's a natural 270, maybe. He lifts and eats right and trains to get himself where he needs to be for the season.

"Even the smaller guys aren't naturally that big. If they're 210, they weigh 195 and get blown up to 210."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060621/SPORTS0101/606210396/1126

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Good information.

I would think that most people know that players are usually trying to gain muscle mass as opposed to lose fat.

But on a side note : I could care less if a kicker is a tub of goo as long as he has leg strength and accuracy.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The Lions need to test their GM to see the fat to brains ratio he has in his head :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would think that a visual test would suffice. No way in hell Matt Millen passes the eye ball test on the stupidity factor. JMO of course.

Hoov

Reaction score
6-10% body fat for wr and cb's. man it is tough to get below 10% bodyfat, at my best when i was thinking of trying a triathalon i was 12-14% and people were asking me if i was ok because i looked too thin, i remember i could actually see my heart pulsing between my ribs.

Professional bodybuilders get down to 5% but its only safe to stay at that level for a week or so. anything under 10% bodyfat seems pretty extreme to me.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
With proper diet, workouts, and aerobic routines it is safe to be around 7% consistently, lowest at 5%.

WRs and CBs have mostly lean muscle mass. The guys are typically around 5-9 to 6-0 and 200 lbs. or less.

Hoov

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
With proper diet, workouts, and aerobic routines it is safe to be around 7% consistently, lowest at 5%.

WRs and CBs have mostly lean muscle mass. The guys are typically around 5-9 to 6-0 and 200 lbs. or less.

im 5'11 and weigh 162 right now, and im probably close to 20% body fat right now. not all fat in the body is visisble, you can be totally ripped and still be above 10%. i just dont think most people realize how low that actually is. people hear 20% body fat and picture someone overweight, but thats not the case.

when i was at 12-14% body fat i was weighing in at about 145-148 lbs and 5'11, and i was lifting weights 4 days/week, running 90 minutes a day and biking 2 hours a day 3-4 days/week. plus i was following a very strict diet. It gets very, very hard to further decrease your % once you get near 10%.

i would bet that there are not many DT's getting below 25% body wt, and the same for OLinemen.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I'm NFL flat.

I need TC to start so I can get my fill.