Interesting article about Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...-Payton-hated-Mike-McCarthy-firing-125925710/

I didn't realize that they were both finalist for the Green Bay job. Also look at their records since.

"Both McCarthy and Payton enjoyed a long run of success in their respective positions.

McCarthy was 125-77-2 in his 13 seasons, while amassing a 10-8 record in the playoffs. His team won Super Bowl XLV in the 2010 season but lost in three NFC Championship games, most recently in 2016 to the Atlanta Falcons.

The Saints have gone to the NFL postseason in six of the 12 years Payton has been head coach, taking the organization to the NFC Championship Game in his first year and winning Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season. He has a 115-73 record with the Saints since joining the franchise in 2006."

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What does this tell you? Both had early success with soon to be hall of fame QB's and then they were just good but not great the rest of the time. More hype than substance, which is why hiring the right staff is so important. Maybe Nolan is the right guy but he's not great either. Hope we get more experience with the positional defensive coaches and ST!

uvaballa

Reaction score
Both coaches have had good careers. Besides Belichick what other coaches have had more success than these two? Not many at all. They are two of the better coaches in the NFL. There were a lot worse choices out there.

John813

Reaction score
Yea, Payton never really considered the New Orleans job all that serious at first. Wanted the Green Bay gig first and foremost.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What does this tell you? Both had early success with soon to be hall of fame QB's and then they were just good but not great the rest of the time. More hype than substance, which is why hiring the right staff is so important. Maybe Nolan is the right guy but he's not great either. Hope we get more experience with the positional defensive coaches and ST!

Both McCarthy and Nolan are very strong hires. Both have about as much experience as you could ever want in a coach. Are you not familiar with Nolan?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Both McCarthy and Nolan are very strong hires. Both have about as much experience as you could ever want in a coach. Are you not familiar with Nolan?

Nolan was the bee's knees back in the day. Just haven't heard as much about him in recent years. Also, I could be wrong, but when he had his brief stint as head coach of the 49ers, didn't he wear a suit as some sort of tribute to Landry?

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the article. I love the "chip on the shoulder" pick-ups and I am guessing MM has a big axe to grind. Just like players when they get overlooked in the draft or get traded and feel they have much left in the tank, this I believe has some substance.

John813

Reaction score
Nolan was the bee's knees back in the day. Just haven't heard as much about him in recent years. Also, I could be wrong, but when he had his brief stint as head coach of the 49ers, didn't he wear a suit as some sort of tribute to Landry?

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Mike-Nolan-scores-one-for-the-suit-2522877.php

The sartorial struggle began in 2005, when Nolan was hired as the head coach of the ailing 49ers and said he would like to wear a coat and tie on the sidelines as a tribute to his father, Dick Nolan, another suited hero, who was head coach of the 49ers from 1968 to 1975, and had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Nolan said the suit would be a tribute not only to his father but also to all the other great coaches of his father's era who had worn suits, such as Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry and Weeb Eubank.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Not sure, about the suit part. But plenty of experience on every level. His defense is an aggressive style that puts lots of pressure on the QB. Apparently likes big defensive tackles. Most of that right there was good enough for now based on the horrid Marinelli.