Interesting... Culpepper might miss next season

garyv

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit from Pro Football Talk regarding Culpepper may miss next season:

CULPEPPER TO MISS MOST OF THE YEAR?

As speculation continues regarding the question of whether Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper will be ready at the start of the 2006 regular season, we're hearing increased rumblings that Culpepper might not be able to play at all this year.

Culpepper is recovering from three torn ligaments -- MCL, ACL, and PCL -- in his right knee, which occurred when he took a low hit from the side in an October 30 game between Culpepper's old team, the Vikings, and the Carolina Panthers.

The Dolphins sent a second-round pick to the Vikings last month for Culpepper, who rapidly fell out of favor in Minnesota via his decision to rehab in Florida, his desire for more a lot more money, and his propensity to send out e-mails to the media in his capacity as his own agent.

Meanwhile, the Fins are looking for a veteran backup quarterback. They've kicked the tires of Tommy Maddox and are in the running for Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
garyv said:
Interesting tidbit from Pro Football Talk regarding Culpepper may miss next season:

CULPEPPER TO MISS MOST OF THE YEAR?

As speculation continues regarding the question of whether Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper will be ready at the start of the 2006 regular season, we're hearing increased rumblings that Culpepper might not be able to play at all this year.

Culpepper is recovering from three torn ligaments -- MCL, ACL, and PCL -- in his right knee, which occurred when he took a low hit from the side in an October 30 game between Culpepper's old team, the Vikings, and the Carolina Panthers.

The Dolphins sent a second-round pick to the Vikings last month for Culpepper, who rapidly fell out of favor in Minnesota via his decision to rehab in Florida, his desire for more a lot more money, and his propensity to send out e-mails to the media in his capacity as his own agent.

Meanwhile, the Fins are looking for a veteran backup quarterback. They've kicked the tires of Tommy Maddox and are in the running for Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

:lmao2:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They should have just kept Frerotte then.

But think about it, who exactly thought he would be just fine?

That was a pretty severe knee injury. You don't bounce back from that kind of injury working out in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Alexander said:
They should have just kept Frerotte then.

But think about it, who exactly thought he would be just fine?

That was a pretty severe knee injury. You don't bounce back from that kind of injury working out in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Truedat.

Reaction score
garyv said:

disgusting. just how bad is the QB position around the NFL generally when maddox and harrington are the best available...

lkelly

Reaction score
And the source of this info is "rumblings?"

Sounds legit.
:rolleyes:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Thing still comes out as a better trade for Miami than a 2nd for AJ Feeley.

Alexander

Reaction score
lkelly said:
And the source of this info is "rumblings?"

Sounds legit.
:rolleyes:

I am not saying I completely believe it, but let's just say I would not be shocked if come opening day, Culpepper isn't ready to play yet.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Not suprising... how many ligaments hold the you together at the knees? Didnt he rip all three?

There are 4 major ligaments that support the knee: LCL, MCL, ACL & PCL. The ACL and PCL are your cruciate ligaments that cross in the middle of your knee joint and play a key role in knee stability (anterior and posterior). Those are the tougher ligaments to rehab (takes longer). The MCL runs along the inner side of your knee (providing medial support) and is commomly sprained in sports along with the ACL. The LCL is the least commonly injured and runs along the outside of your knee giving you lateral support. The fact that Culpepper damaged 3 of the 4 is pretty bad. Throwing in the LCL would have made it worse, technically, but it's still about as bad as a sports knee injury gets. In case anyone wants to know how I know this, I've got a doctorate in physical therapy (not bragging - just informing).

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
I am not saying I completely believe it, but let's just say I would not be shocked if come opening day, Culpepper isn't ready to play yet.
I don't think anyone would be shocked if he's not ready come opening day, even though that's his goal. But I also don't think he'll miss the whole season.

I think Miami is in the same predicament as the Bengals. Palmer won't be ready until after the season has started. The question is how far into it can they go without totally tanking their season. And they also have no viable backup QB.

Mash

Reaction score
I tore my PCL...ACL....and my kneecap was found to be broken six months into rehab....5 years later and 5 more surgeries.....its not any better.

The PCL is the toughest one to get past.

Tearing that many ligaments....its a tough thing to come back from 100%

Alexander

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I don't think anyone would be shocked if he's not ready come opening day, even though that's his goal. But I also don't think he'll miss the whole season.

I think Miami is in the same predicament as the Bengals. Palmer won't be ready until after the season has started. The question is how far into it can they go without totally tanking their season. And they also have no viable backup QB.

I don't think so. From what I have read, Palmer is right on course.

There hasn't been very much about Culpepper's rehab, minus the Wal-Mart parking lot rehab.

calico

Reaction score
I would think the Dolphins would have already known this since about everyone else did when it happened.

I tore my ACL in High School and I still have problems with it 10 years later.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There is footage of Culpepper working out in t-shirt and shorts. In it he is seen dropping back and throwing passes. It is not the same as going full speed and certainly not being in pads, but it does show that he has some strength in his knee. It may take a small portion of the season before he is ready, but I find it unlikely that it will be a majority of the season unless he suffers some sort of set back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Mash said:
Tearing that many ligaments....its a tough thing to come back from 100%

But were you an elite athlete? Physically NFL players are in a better position to recover -- plus they have far more resources for rehab (though rumors are Dante didn't take advantage of all the resources he had).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
While he's at it, Culpepper should just go ahead and get his hands replaced while he's rehabbing! I have a 16 year old daughter with bigger hands then he has! :D