percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
NFC East home and road records in divisional games since 2002
DAL home 7-5, road 4-8
NYG home 8-4, road 5-7
PHI home 9-3, road 7-5
WAS home 5-7, road 3-9

Predictably, every team is either 2 or 3 wins better when playing at home.

Now a look at only the SECOND game of the home-and-home (the two games each team in the division plays against another certain team in the division). A team always hosts one game, and has to play the other game on the road. Last year, the Cowboys played all of their first 3 division games at home (and went 2-1) and all of their last three on the road (1-2). This year, the Commanders will play all of their first 3 divisional games on the road, and all of their last three at home. This is a continuation of a trend that has been going on since 2002.

Site of SECOND game of divisional home-and-home since 2002
DAL home 4, road 11
NYG home 8, road 7
PHI home 7, road 8
WAS home 11, road 4
In 2005, the Skins' combination of a softer later schedule and important divisional games at home late in the season helped them rebound from a 5-6 start to make the playoffs. The Cowboys' combination of a much more difficult later schedule and important divisional games on the road late in the season led to what many have called a late-season collapse.

DISCLAIMER: In reality, the two teams were exactly what their records said they were, with it all coming down to Washington's Monday night victory in Dallas early in the season, as far as making the playoffs was concerned. So, I'm not trying to make excuses. What I'm doing is pointing out a huge disparity in the schedule that puts the Skins at home late in the season for their most important games, and puts the Cowboys on the road.

One could argue that there is absolutely no difference when the games are played. That a team that has most of its big games at home early in the season is actually at an advantage. Maybe. I'd sure rather have the big games late in the season at home, than on the road. Or at least a balance. Dallas and Washington have had anything but. I don't think it's a conspiracy, just bad scheduling.

When the Cowboys play at home in November and December, they are 10-6 since 2002. On the road in those months, they are 4-13. Doesn't bode well for them when the league is consistently scheduling their division games on the road in November and December.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
When the Cowboys play at home in November and December, they are 10-6 since 2002. On the road in those months, they are 4-13. Doesn't bode well for them when the league is consistently scheduling their division games on the road in November and December.

We play five of our last seven games at home this season. But only two of those are division games -- one home, one away.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
We play five of our last seven games at home this season. But only two of those are division games -- one home, one away.
We still have to play two of our last three division games are on the road. Just like last year, the first game against both the Giants and Skins is at home, and the second is on the road.

What you said makes for a pretty good trade-off this year, but I'd like to see a better balance in the division home-and-home. Or at least something resembling a balance.

ghst187

Reaction score
if we take care of our business, it won't matter.
Hit a 30-something yard field goal or two, put our FS in better position once or twice and we would've been in last year.
To be a SB champion, you're going to have to win tough road games late in the season and maybe even in the playoffs. Can't do that, and you don't deserve it. I think Pitt is one of the all-time worst teams to ever win a SB this past year but one thing they did do, win on the road late and win on the road all throughout the playoffs.
Its quite simple.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
if we take care of our business, it won't matter.
That is true, but regardless of whether we go 0-16 or win the Super Bowl, that 4 to 11, 11 to 4 is ridiculous.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Tickets look pretty sharp this year.

235-512-tix-1.jpg