Interesting formation........please take a look

50cent

Reaction score
http://www.cowboys-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16631

Please look at the picture with Henson under center. It an interesting defensive formation with a 4 man front. As far as I can tell Coleman and Ellis are the only down lineman with Ware and Singleton playing OLB. You can see James about to blitz along with Dat in the pic, but there is no NT. Could this be the 4 man front BP is talking about that plays Ware in the under/overshift? I don't know, but if there is not a NT we have to have an extra LB or DB in the game somewhere.

I've seen NE play like 5 or 6 LBs befroe in ther defensive set, could we be following suit? Also, it kinda weird if we have an extra Db, because that would be our dime package. The weird thing about it, is in a dime we should expect pass, but Coleman seems to be in the pic. Not our most polished pass rushing DE, IMO. Please add you thoughts. Not a flame thread, just thought you guys would be interested in seeing this formation.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't know about the whole formation thing. But it could be Coleman in just as a sub in practice, I would think that Ellis would be playing in a game.

50cent

Reaction score
Yeah but in a nickle or dime formation, Ellis most likely would be lined up on the outside.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I think this is a trick of the camera. There actually is a NT in there, but you can't really see him. Between Ellis and Ware, he is basically obscured.

This looks like base 3-4 to me. Coleman, unknown NT, Ellis as your three lineman. Singleton and Ware on the outside. James blitzing and Nguyen as the other ILB.

That nose is hard to see, but if you look at Ellis's feet you will see another set of feet in there. Also if you look at Ellis's back, you can make out a big of the NT's back.

50cent

Reaction score
Count the feet on the defensive front! No trick by the camera, the photogragher even stated he hadn't noticed this before until I brought it up. Although you may have a point.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
50cent said:
Count the feet on the defensive front! No trick by the camera, the photogragher even stated he hadn't noticed this before until I brought it up. Although you may have a point.

Yep, I count nine feet. I am assuming one is obscured giving me 10 feet or 5 people on the line. Singleton, Coleman, Unknown NT, Ellis, Ware.

I noticed I typed the wrong thing above. The NT is between Coleman and Ellis, not Ellis and Ware.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
50cent said:

I'm going to have to agree with Junk, there is a hidden NT.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
There is no NT. Look at the shadows. You would see his if he were there.

As far as the nine feet - there are five visible players - 2 down lineman, 3 LBers. The far outside LBer's foot is hidden, thus the phantom foot.

This really is a two DL front.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
There is no NT. Look at the shadows. You would see his if he were there.

As far as the nine feet - there are five visible players - 2 down lineman, 3 LBers. The far outside LBer's foot is hidden, thus the phantom foot.

This really is a two DL front.

http://img309.*************/img309/7701/cowboys9hd.png

The yellow line points to what is actually the 11th foot in the picture, the 10th foot being the OLB's foot just barely visible past the LE's left foot.

The green line points to the DT's knee, visible underneath the RE's stomach.

The red line points to the DT's shadow.

The orange box shows the back of the DT and what appears to be the #0.

What appears to be the RE's left arm, I believe is the right arm of the DT. If you look at the arm, it looks almost the same in shape, as the right arm of the RE.

Copy the picture into paint and zoom in to get a better view.

kmp77

Reaction score
Wow, this thread has turned into CSI: CowboyZone......