Interesting Parcells' quote on Ellis

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
"He's coming back. I would think so. He's under contract, and we don't have any plans to trade him. When you've got a young team changing defenses with rookies, these vets don't always understand the pace you've got to go. I know we're going to try to do a couple of different things that involve Greg this year."

The last line is most interesting. What are the different things. Maybe on running downs, lining him up at OLB opposite Ware. Maybe letting him rush from the 3-4 DE spot. Maybe kicking him down to tackle on passing downs to replace Glover if he is replaced. I'm glad to see they are tyring to use him in some different ways. Maybe, just maybe they will find a way to increase his production.

What are your thoughts?

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I for one hope he stays and we involve him in the defense alot more. It was wrong what we did to him this year. JMO

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see what happens with Glover. Glover has been a steady workhorse for us since he's been here. Solid player, but an even better person. I could see him possibly wanting to go elsewhere for more playing time. I'd hate to see him go.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I don't have any faith that they'll use him well. He's one of the best players on the team and they let him ride the bench when he could have been helping.

The best laid plans...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
i think we will see a lot more of elliss this year.

at least until week 8 when he stops getting the QB

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Hooray Greg Ellis. Hes been so maligned at times, only because hes not Randy Moss. The dude has been a solid as hell every down player since he came into the league. I have always liked him. With a great pass rushing LBer corp, he will become a major cog again.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I don't have any faith that they'll use him well. He's one of the best players on the team and they let him ride the bench when he could have been helping.

The best laid plans...

Last time I checked Mike Zimmer was still the DC. So your lack of faith is well placed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
both Jerry and Bill have stated that Greg is staying, I think we can put this issue to bed lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dough Boy said:
"He's coming back. I would think so. He's under contract, and we don't have any plans to trade him. When you've got a young team changing defenses with rookies, these vets don't always understand the pace you've got to go. I know we're going to try to do a couple of different things that involve Greg this year."

The last line is most interesting. What are the different things. Maybe on running downs, lining him up at OLB opposite Ware. Maybe letting him rush from the 3-4 DE spot. Maybe kicking him down to tackle on passing downs to replace Glover if he is replaced. I'm glad to see they are tyring to use him in some different ways. Maybe, just maybe they will find a way to increase his production.

What are your thoughts?

A couple possible things...

1. More 4-3?
2. More "Nickel" with Canty sliding in at DT and Ellis at DE?

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Greg Ellis is one of the most talented guys on our defense, no shocker to anyone. Its good to know BP has acknowledged a need to get him in the game wherever he can, because Ellis is a playmaker.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
both Jerry and Bill have stated that Greg is staying, I think we can put this issue to bed lol
The question I posed had nothing to do with him staying. It was, what are the different ways Ellis would be used this year?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
A couple possible things...

1. More 4-3?
2. More "Nickel" with Canty sliding in at DT and Ellis at DE?

More 4-3 is a good one. What do you think about Ellis as a 4-3 DT on passing downs, esp if we release Glover. I think Ellis moved to DT a few years ago on passing downs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dough Boy said:
More 4-3 is a good one. What do you think about Ellis as a 4-3 DT on passing downs, esp if we release Glover. I think Ellis moved to DT a few years ago on passing downs.

I think that could work. But I also think either Canty or Spears can also be effective DT's in a 4-3 or "Nickel". Canty has "Leon Lett" size and I do believe would be a very effective 4-3 tackle because even though he's talll he knows how to play with leverage at the point of attack.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think that could work. But I also think either Canty or Spears can also be effective DT's in a 4-3 or "Nickel". Canty has "Leon Lett" size and I do believe would be a very effective 4-3 tackle because even though he's talll he knows how to play with leverage at the point of attack.
The only thing about Canty, he never really had huge sack numbers. He's always put up big tackle numbers, which is odd for a 3-4 DE but the most sacks he had at UVA was 4.

Spears on the other hand did do a good job getting up the field and at QB. He posted 9 sacks as a Sr. Spears has a burst. He can flash onto the scene. Canty, holds his ground, uses his hands extremely well and makes tackles.

In a 4-3 set on passing downs, I can see Spears, Ellis or Jay Ratliff playing DT. On obvious passing downs, I think Canty is a liability as he posses little threat to get to the QB. I think Spears is more akin to 'El Gato Grande' than Canty.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I'd like to see him occasionally at MLB doing what Trotter does. Blitz, blitz, blitz.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I'd like to see him occasionally at MLB doing what Trotter does. Blitz, blitz, blitz.
That's thinking outside of the box. Or should I say in the box. This qualifies as different. No offense would be prepared for that one. Good call.