Investments

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm a college student, and money just isn't an assett that I have a multitude of. My mother just gave me $1000 in US Savings Bonds, issued in the early nineties, that she got in the divorce of my father.

I could really use this money to pay off some debt (such as that, er, unpaid ticket that is plaguing me....next time I get pulled over, don't expect posts from me for a few days, I might be in Lou Starrett....). However, I would prefer to put this money somewhere to accrue interest and increase value. The current interest rates for the bonds are somewhere around 4%.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have not yet researched CDs, or what their rates are, and am also considering mutual funds, or even (if I feel like risking it) a cheap stock that might grow in the next few years.

Appreciate the help,

CR

Hoov

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm a college student, and money just isn't an assett that I have a multitude of. My mother just gave me $1000 in US Savings Bonds, issued in the early nineties, that she got in the divorce of my father.

I could really use this money to pay off some debt (such as that, er, unpaid ticket that is plaguing me....next time I get pulled over, don't expect posts from me for a few days, I might be in Lou Starrett....). However, I would prefer to put this money somewhere to accrue interest and increase value. The current interest rates for the bonds are somewhere around 4%.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have not yet researched CDs, or what their rates are, and am also considering mutual funds, or even (if I feel like risking it) a cheap stock that might grow in the next few years.

Appreciate the help,

CR

Yes, Real Estate investment is the best thing anyone can do right now in my oppinion. Rental properties, you put the minimal down, in some cases 0% if you are frist time buyer, you can even get sellar assist so you get PAID money to purchase a property. then advertsie, find a renter (renters are everywhere), and collect a small monthly profit while the tennant pays down your mortgage. years later you sell for profit...making money with other peoples money.

If you look around you can get a "finance guy" who will get you deals with NO money down, you just have to put up something for closing costs, but if you get sellers assist you get it back, then you can save for a little while. buy your next property, it grows exponentially, think about it.....don't borrow from a bank though, thry make you put up to much upfront and hassle you about debt to income ratio. PM me if you want more info on this.....this is my game and i am going to retire early to a more sunny cliamate...like Rio

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

Appreciate the help,

CR

A Roth IRA is a good investment. Vanguard has a nice S&P 500 Index fund that has very low fees.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
If you're looking to make a decent annual return, I'd suggest looking at investing in income trusts, especially foreign markets. You may be a little late to capitalize on the devaluation of the dollar, but still a sound investment.

My current favorite is Big Rock Beer (BR.UN) on the Toronto exchange. Nice solid company, decent fundamentals. It's currently paying ten cents (Canadian) per share per month on a $17 (Canadian) stock, but my cost basis is $4.48(US) per share, getting in at it's transition to a trust and delisting from Nasdaq.

Do some research to find your own picks, get your due diligence done after finally selecting 2 or 3 and have fun.