Irrational Dislike of the Bye

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I know it's irrational, but I'm thinking I'd rather win the division as the 3rd seed than as the 2nd seed.

Parcells and his staff have shown a huge weakness in ever being prepared after bye weeks...the extra time doesn't seem to ever help us. With a young team like ours, it might actually be better to keep playing while you're hot than to take a week off.

Even the extra time off after Thanksgiving had us looking flat and unprepared for whatever reason you want to use.

I know we'd likely get only 1 home playoff game unless the 2nd round resulted in a wild card upsetting one of the bye teams, and I would like the home field, but I also hate that first week of playoffs when my team doesn't play, only to then face a tough team in round two.

I think I'll be irrational and selfish and hope for the #3 seed...I'd like to play the weakest Wild Card team in Dallas as a tuneup before the tougher games in the 2nd round...more TV time with my Cowboys, and maybe better for this younger team that seems to be healthy enough that the time off wouldn't really help anyway.

Irrational...yes...but something about it appeals to me more than passing by N.O. and taking the first week of the playoffs off.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. That is TOTALLY irrational and foolish to not want a bye in the playoffs. Any given week, any team can beat another. They've played hard and should they grab the second seed, they are deserving of it.

If they come out flat after a bye eek in the playoffs, well, then they aren't that good to begin with and they don't deserve to move on.

Of course you want a bye week in the playoffs.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1239778 said:
I know it's irrational, but I'm thinking I'd rather win the division as the 3rd seed than as the 2nd seed.

No irrationality there, Wayne.

I dislike the spectre of flatness as well. It's going to come down to the fact that we did not 'earn' the bye, but I too won't lose sleep over it.

However, the stats on teams who had the bye going on to win it all is quite impressive. Can't quote them offhand, but very few (the Squealers last year? among them) teams have managed to rise from a sixth seed to the SB winner, and I think the stats on the other wild card slots are also indicative of the value of that week's worth of rest and game-planning.

I'm torn on how valuable that week off would be to the CS.

I think the danger of coming out flat is real, but if for Tony's sake alone, getting that extra week of prep (which he will use as wisely as anyone could)would be very beneficial.

Either way, we better come out fully prepared.

jimmy40

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1239778 said:

Parcells and his staff have shown a huge weakness in ever being prepared after bye weeks...the extra time doesn't seem to ever help us. With a young team like ours, it might actually be better to keep playing while you're hot than to take a week off.

Even the extra time off after Thanksgiving had us looking flat and unprepared for whatever reason you want to use.

I know we'd likely get only 1 home playoff game unless the 2nd round resulted in a wild card upsetting one of the bye teams, and I would like the home field, but I also hate that first week of playoffs when my team doesn't play, only to then face a tough team in round two.

I think I'll be irrational and selfish and hope for the #3 seed...I'd like to play the weakest Wild Card team in Dallas as a tuneup before the tougher games in the 2nd round...more TV time with my Cowboys, and maybe better for this younger team that seems to be healthy enough that the time off wouldn't really help anyway.

Irrational...yes...but something about it appeals to me more than passing by N.O. and taking the first week of the playoffs off.

Thank goodness it's not college where you might have a month and a half off before a championship game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sarge;1239801 said:
You're right. That is TOTALLY irrational and foolish to not want a bye in the playoffs. Any given week, any team can beat another. They've played hard and should they grab the second seed, they are deserving of it.

If they come out flat after a bye eek in the playoffs, well, then they aren't that good to begin with and they don't deserve to move on.

Of course you want a bye week in the playoffs.

But as a fan, I want to watch the Cowboys every week, so I'll be happy to win out and not really care what happens with N.O.

Personally, as a true Virginia hater of the Skins, I'm pulling for the Saints and my USC boy Bush to totally humiliate them today...I want to see them embarrassed.

Irrational again, but I would take no pleasure in the Skins winning :D

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley;1239812 said:
But as a fan, I want to watch the Cowboys every week, so I'll be happy to win out and not really care what happens with N.O.

Personally, as a true Virginia hater of the Skins, I'm pulling for the Saints and my USC boy Bush to totally humiliate them today...I want to see them embarrassed.

Can't disagree with you on the wanting to watch Dallas every week but I do disagree with not wanting the Commanders. They are out of the playoff picture. If they can help our cause by beating the Saints, which they can, then I'm rooting for the Skins. As much as I hate them, they are no threat to us this year. Lett'em help our cause I say.

Look for the Commanders to play a good game against the Saints today.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I dont like the bye, because hopefully we can roll in the postseason on a roll, and i'd rather not have a week to sit back and start thinking about our success, and get our heads all big, and then lose our first game. I'd rther go ahead and play the wildcard and just keep rolling into the SB

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
wayne_motley;1239812 said:

Me too... I don't think the Skins have a snowball's chance in hades of winning anyway.

:laugh1: