Irvin Show: Now who’s the ‘X’ WR?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Irvin Show: Now who’s the ‘X’ WR?

By dcfanatic, August 28, 2009 4:10 pm

This was a very interesting point brought up on The Michael Irvin Show today. With Roy Williams down with the shoulder injury and no one really knowing how long he will be out of the lineup the question of who will replace him in the offense is now on the table...

Irvin show talks Cowboys WR spots

Sam Hurd is the direct replacement for Roy Williams because he takes the 2nd team reps as the 'X' wide receiver while Miles Austin backs up Patrick Crayton at the 'Z'.

So does that mean if Roy can't go then the starters for this offense are Crayton and Hurd?

Going to be very interesting on Saturday to see how his offense plays because it looks like both Roy Williams and Sam Hurd will be on the bench.

Kevin Ogletree, Mike Jefferson, Isaiah Stanback, Jesse Holley and Manny Johnson are going to get plenty of opportunities to show this coaching staff they are worth a roster spot.

Look for a truck load of two TE sets as well.

NorTex

Reaction score
We will have to wait and see, but at practice last night, Austin took Roys place, so he seems to know the position well enough.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I hate the idea of only learning the Z or X

You create mismatches by moving guys around to keep the defenses guessing with their coverages.

Just sticking a guy in the same outside role and not flipping at times is too predictable for my tastes.

Garrett haters are bound to jump on this one...

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2909155 said:

You create mismatches by moving guys around to keep the defenses guessing with their coverages.

Just sticking a guy in the same outside role and not flipping at times is too predictable for my tastes.

agreed.

Kilyin

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2908898 said:
[youtube]rKLQioe1aOc[/youtube]

I guess I missed it when it happened, but I found out not long ago why that show was taken off the air. Some guy figured out the pattern by analyzing VCR tapes, and got on the show and just cleaned them out. Funny story.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I actually brought this up in a thread before this was ever mentioned.

I would imagine Miles will be the X tonight.

Miles would be better @ the X routes imo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Most likely all these guys know both positions anyways.

When the play is called they will have a number like 618 jet. The X would run the 6, the Y would run the 1, and the Z would run the 8.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score

Alot of teams do the exact same thing.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2908694 said:
Going to be very interesting on Saturday to see how his offense plays because it looks like both Roy Williams and Sam Hurd will be on the bench.

Kevin Ogletree, Mike Jefferson, Isaiah Stanback, Jesse Holley and Manny Johnson are going to get plenty of opportunities to show this coaching staff they are worth a roster spot.

Look for a truck load of two TE sets as well.

Awesome!!! Lets take advantage of a meaningless game to see if any of these kids are gonna pan out. I'm rooting for Ogletree..

Cowboy_n_NY

Reaction score
Gotta Love Michael Irvin. He always reminds us not to be confident in Roy Williams as a number One reciever!! I agree with him