CFZ Is 2023 Make or Break for Michael Gallup?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, I would say the guy is still my favorite player on the team. Mostly, the way he goes about doing his job off-the-field and on the team. Individually, though, I thought he under-delivered this year. And as a big Gallup fan, that was disappointing for me.

That said, we're human. And that's what I like about Gallup. He's never loses his human element on camera, and just goes on about his role. He's just trying to help do his part.

But given his lack of production from last year, as well as his contract, which, I think he had the potential to be worth, pre-injury, I have to assume 2023 is pretty crucial for Gallup, and I hope he puts in the offseason work to come on strong.

The other thing is, the chemistry from Dak just wasn't there with Gallup, and I was disappointed to see Dak look away from him when he was open, only throwing to him when he was covered, because he was forcing it to a player he knew he previously overlooked or second-guessed in San Fran. I actually think Dak's lack of confidence in Gallup may have cost us that game. That missed throw was just nervous energy coming out in Dak's arm...

In any event, I hope they get that all twerked out, and also bring in some new WR talent next year. Dak needs weapons. You may as well get them; they will be as equally important to your core, which I'd say there's a small window of keeping.

The base of a very good team is there, but guys like Gallup would have to put in an extra-hard offseason. If I were emperor of the Cowboys, I would draft year-round workout warriors. Guys like Fehoko, Washington, etcetera, all seem lazy to me.

Give me guys that come back to the next camp looking transformed. I want those guys.

In any event, my boy needs to go out there and earn some of that contract in 2023. I'm not saying he didn't earn it in 2022, just that there will be no excuses this year even after a year in which he came back so admirably.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score
So, I would say the guy is still my favorite player on the team. Mostly, the way he goes about doing his job off-the-field and on the team. Individually, though, I thought he under-delivered this year. And as a big Gallup fan, that was disappointing for me.

That said, we're human. And that's what I like about Gallup. He's never loses his human element on camera, and just goes on about his role. He's just trying to help do his part.

But given his lack of production from last year, as well as his contract, which, I think he had the potential to be worth, pre-injury, I have to assume 2023 is pretty crucial for Gallup, and I hope he put in the offseason work to come on strong.

The other thing is, the chemistry from Dak just wasn't there with Gallup, and I was disappointed to see Dak look away from him when he was open, only throwing to him when he was covered, because he was forcing it to a player he knew he previously overlooked or second-guessed in San Fran. I actually think Dak's lack of confidence in Gallup may have cost us that game. That missed throw was just nervous energy coming out in Dak's arm...

In any event, I hope they get that all twerked out, and also bring in some new WR talent next year. Dak needs weapons. You may as well get them; they will be as equally important to your core, which I'd say there's a small window of keeping.

The base of a very good team is there, but guys like Gallup would have to put in an extra-hard offseason. But if I were the Cowboys, I would draft year-round workout warriors. Guys like Fehoko, Washington, etcetera, all seem lazy to me.

In any event, my boy needs to go out there and earn some of that contract in 2023. I'm not saying he didn't earn it in 2022, just that there will be no excuses this year.
He may be one of the most overpaid players on the team. We always rag on Zeke's contract, but he's produced more tds the last 2 years than Gallup has his whole career. I think Gallup gets 1 more year to show he's worth, but the reality is we're paying him for his production from 4 years ago.

Since he's had injuries the last couple years all for giving him another year, but this is a critical one for him because next year his contract is manage to terminate.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Gallup is one of the reasons why I am excited for next season. I expect him to have a major bounce back season.
I also expect Tolbert take major strides and prove to be a nice 4th WR.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I believe, and I could be wrong, they can rid themselves of Gallups contract and it would be cap beneficial next season
You are correct sir, the Cowboys can save almost $10 million by making Gallup a post June 1 cut next offseason.

So yeah, the dude better ball out this year if he wants to be on the team next season.

plasticman

Reaction score
He'll be great. It really takes about a year and a half to fully recover from that type of surgery in terms of trusting the body, stamina, confidence, etc .

Michael Irvin went through a similar process and didn't look all that great coming back midway through the 1990 season. However, he absolutely broke out in the 1991 season.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

But given his lack of production from last year, as well as his contract, which, I think he had the potential to be worth, pre-injury, I have to assume 2023 is pretty crucial for Gallup, and I hope he puts in the offseason work to come on strong.

The base of a very good team is there, but guys like Gallup would have to put in an extra-hard offseason. If I were emperor of the Cowboys, I would draft year-round workout warriors. Guys like Fehoko, Washington, etcetera, all seem lazy to me.

Give me guys that come back to the next camp looking transformed. I want those guys.

In any event, my boy needs to go out there and earn some of that contract in 2023. I'm not saying he didn't earn it in 2022, just that there will be no excuses this year even after a year in which he came back so admirably.
No, Nostradamus, it was supposed to be in 2022 when he revealed himself as a prototype JAG.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Michael Gallup

Current Contract
Contract: 5 yr(s) / $57,500,000
Signing Bonus: $10,000,000
Average Salary: $11,500,000
Total Guarantees: $27,000,000
Guaranteed at Signing: $23,000,000
Free Agent: 2027 / UFA

POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 2 YR, $24,823,522; $6,000,000 DEAD CAP

Contract Notes:
$23M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary + 2023 salary)
$4M of 2024 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2024 (injury guaranteed now)
Per Game Active Bonus: $58,823 ($1M, 14 LTBE in 2023)
$500,000 de-escalator for missing workouts

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-...Contract,average annual salary of $11,500,000.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to evaluate WRs in this limited offense. They are asked to be decoys in order to free up easy routes and space for CeeDee and Pollard

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Depends on his health.

If he is 100% healthy and ready to roll as expected, then yes it's probably a make or break season for him as a Cowboy.
I dont think we can afford to give excuses, either perform or move on....harsh, but that's the reality.
Hard to evaluate WRs in this limited offense. They are asked to be decoys in order to free up easy routes and space for CeeDee and Pollard
Yep, there's a lot of soul searching on how and why this offense was so erratic. What's wrong is that we point to scapegoat certain minor participants like Gallup who in essence is our Receiver3 (behind CD and Schultz) there's something more intrinsic than that. As one of the FO's said we probably need fewer and more simple progressions......add the comments about a needing a mismatching TE and a WCO, and I can see us using a lot of 12 personnel = Gallup having to fight for game time (especially if we sign/trade for a WR)

ghst187

Reaction score
Yes it is but also he is a #3 paid like a #2.
He has never gotten any separation or demand a double. We we dumb to give him a contract.

Redline360

Reaction score
Yes if he returns to form or anywhere near it he's a solid #2 for any team. Everyone knew he wasn't going to do a damn thing last year coming back from that type of injury.

Signing Gallup over bringing back Cooper was atrocious especially after his injury. Guess when its personal to Jerry its all that matters. Walking into the season with only one real reciver was beyond stupid. I also wasn't a fan of Gallups contract anyways especially getting it done after his injury.

However at least we have an out after the 2024 season. I've read conflicting reports that the dead money would be 4m then others have it as 6. Not sure which is right

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Gallup will be fine, his contract is not a big factor and frankly pretty team friendly. He will be a year beyond the ACL I expect him to have a good season.

js66

Reaction score
I have never been a Gallup fan even though he had a big 2019. Never thought he was a 2, more like a good 3 so his $10M per contract irked me. I remember thinking lets go cheaper with Cedrick Wilson and then he got $7M... He seems to have a decent connection with Dak so I'm hoping that pays off in a lot of big catches.