Is anyone else sick of this mentality of pro athletes?

ghst187

Reaction score
"You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards"
At what point does a person who plays a sport start thinking that the law doesn't apply to them? Makes me not want to watch pro sports anymore...
:ralph: :puke: :ralph: :puke: :ralph: :puke:

Wizards' Arenas, Storey Arrested in Miami
Washington Players Booked for Disobeying Police
AP Sports
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (May 28) - Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Awvee Storey have been arrested on charges of disobeying police.
Storey was blocking traffic in the middle of a busy street when an officer told him to get back to the sidewalk Saturday night, according to police reports. Storey didn't get out of the street, and the officer arrested him and charged him with failure to obey a command.
While police were arresting Storey, Arenas got out of a vehicle and walked toward the arresting officers. According to reports, an officer told Arenas to get back in his vehicle, but he refused, saying he wanted to stand next to his teammate. The officer took Arenas into custody and charged him with resisting without violence.
As Arenas was being arrested, according to reports, he said, "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate."
Both players were then taken to jail for processing.
Wizards spokesman Zack Bolno had no immediate comment Sunday.
The two were arrested as part of a crackdown on disorderly behavior among those who flocked to Miami Beach for Memorial Day weekend.
A total of 557 people were arrested between Thursday morning and Saturday night on Miami Beach. Most arrests were for disorderly conduct and intoxication. During the same three-day period last year, there were 333 arrests.
"We're definitely over from last year," Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez said. "We're working a lot more plainclothes officers, so you're obviously going to make more arrests."
http://sports.aol.com/nba/story/_a/...rrested-in-miami/20060528152309990001?cid=562

DOOMSDAYREBORN

Reaction score
This type of mentality is not just confined to the athlete. The kids of the rich say, Do you know who my fathers is? While the rich simply say, You must not know who I am. So to answer your question I am sick of the whole mentality that some people believe that they are above the law.

Peace

aznhalf

Reaction score
Arenas is one of my favorite atheletes actually. He is one funny man. Bit of an oddball. I feel like his statement was half a joke, but probably not.

ghst187

Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Arenas is one of my favorite atheletes actually. He is one funny man. Bit of an oddball. I feel like his statement was half a joke, but probably not.

I was a fan of his also, i hope he was joking but i would guess that he was probably serious

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The arrogance of a few of todays athletes (college and pro) seem to reach new levels seemingly every day. It's certainly not a great example for the kids to see and read about.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i'm also a fan or Arenas and i'm surprised that he would say something like that. But i guess i shouldn't be surprised as most rich people in general think they are higher than the law

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
This is bad, but nothing beats the Eddie Belfour incident from a few years ago.

"Eddie Belfour will be remembered from this season as the guy who allegedly got drunk, took a woman to a hotel in his home city, got in a fight with a security guard, got maced, got taken to jail and offered police a billion-dollar bribe."

mmillman

Reaction score
I honestly think it is systemic in our country. When I was growing up my Dad told me to finish my plate because there were starving kids in India. Now we should be telling our kids to do their homework there are kids who want your jobs in India. The educational system is broke, our values are sliding and if we don't get rid of the entitlement mentality in this country our standard of living will fall dramatically.

Right now there is a huge change in the haves and have nots. The gap is increasing and nobody notices while pensions are cut for the middle class, health care is cut for the middle class, Unions have slid from around 40% of the work force in the early 70's to 11% today, there was a major push to cut social security and the only thing the wealthy get cut is there taxes.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
mmillman said:
I honestly think it is systemic in our country. When I was growing up my Dad told me to finish my plate because there were starving kids in India. Now we should be telling our kids to do their homework there are kids who want your jobs in India. The educational system is broke, our values are sliding and if we don't get rid of the entitlement mentality in this country our standard of living will fall dramatically.

Right now there is a huge change in the haves and have nots. The gap is increasing and nobody notices while pensions are cut for the middle class, health care is cut for the middle class, Unions have slid from around 40% of the work force in the early 70's to 11% today, there was a major push to cut social security and the only thing the wealthy get cut is there taxes.

and thus you have recognized the oppression of the middle class

see college...it is for the poor and the rich to get the highest educations

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DOOMSDAYREBORN said:
This type of mentality is not just confined to the athlete. The kids of the rich say, Do you know who my fathers is? While the rich simply say, You must not know who I am. So to answer your question I am sick of the whole mentality that some people believe that they are above the law.

Peace

To take your point a step further... you see kids/young adults in general acting that way(rich or well off or not, hoods, thugs, gangsters, whitetrash - you got them in ALL races and walks of life)...

people just conduct themselves in a way that is not acceptable.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Athletes start getting special treatment in jr high- by the time they are pros......
Look who the mediots hold up as people to look up to: liars, criminals, etc.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DOOMSDAYREBORN said:

Peace

It's not just athletes... or the rich... it's everyone.

We live in the age of "entitlement" where many believe just because they can take a gasp of oxygen that they are entitled to virtually everything-- and I don't care what their socio-economic is.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Ah, but good thing the boys got el dorado though huh? Hes not like the other asshats of the world.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Athletes start getting special treatment in jr high- by the time they are pros......
Look who the mediots hold up as people to look up to: liars, criminals, etc.

As the husband of a high school teacher ---you are right---it is a taught
reaction ---just because he is an "player" ---Get rid of that additude and
give special favors to the kids that are serious about their education.
And get rid of the "gangsters" that are in pro sports--It a start

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Even our own beloved Michael Irvin dropped the "Can I tell you who I am?" line to a police officer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mmillman said:

The middle class doesn't have to worry about it's pensions being cut when the corporate ENRONs of America are ready to steal every last penny out of their retirement plans.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Why do you care? And why should I care? I want to see wins on the field that's all. I don't need this guy to be my babysitter or preacher, I just want him to do what he's being paid to do. Let the law take care of thugs, and we should just teach our kids to be respectful of people and the law.

But don't try to change the world, cause you can't. And don't take it personally because a thug makes more money and has it easier in life, because thug or not, he did earn his way thru thousands of athletes to get where he's at so he earned it. How he acts is his problem, not ours.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
BTW, everyone with rare talents are treated differently. If you make straight A's, you are treated differently. If you are an awsome actor or the best salesman or the best singer, you are treated differently.

And arrogance is there no matter if you're rich or poor. Some people are humble and some are not. Who cares? I like arrogance when it's done in a comedic fashion. When guys do it just to be fun...It's their "bit". And some people are just flat out rude and mean, just like on this board. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think the statement is one of those schticky things taken out of context.

I do not have a problem with a teammate saying I do not want to leave this guy until he has an attorney present or whatever or until you lock him in a police car.

My wife is a law enforcement official so I see it both ways but can't fault a guy for in the end just trying to stand by his teammate. Its not like he started assaulting folks, he just stood there and recited them his basketball card.

I can guarantee you if my wife was by me and said I am a police officer and I am not leaving my husband's side they woulda said, OK, no problem.

Perhaps the 'let me tell you who I am' syndrome is annoying but it doesn't only apply to athletes or even the rich.

Let's face it we are an elitest and exclusive society in every sense of the word. Read the ops above for confirmation of that. Its better served for politicalzone.org so I'll just save the rest of the spiel.