Is Ellis up to his old tricks?

fortdick

Reaction score
Sitting out with a bad back. I really think this guy thinks he is to good for practice and is just taking time off. Or maybe the coaches are resting his tired ol' bones. Spencer can do all he wants at practice while Greg sits on his butt and is assured of starting.

Is this ever going to bite him?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
fortdick;2174630 said:
Sitting out with a bad back. I really think this guy thinks he is to good for practice and is just taking time off. Or maybe the coaches are resting his tired ol' bones. Spencer can do all he wants at practice while Greg sits on his butt and is assured of starting.

Is this ever going to bite him?

I prefer it. Ellis is far enough along to not need all of training camp. He proved he didn't need it all last year when he had the best season of his entire career and he did it in 12 games.

MadCow

Reaction score
Weren't other veterans allowed to rest over the weekend (T.O., Thomas, Flozell, etc)?

Just because Ellis has been difficult in the past doesn't means he is doing the same in this situation. I see no reason for concern unless it is over a long period or is a recurring issue.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It is not unusual for an established veteran to take a couple of practices off with a minor injury that they would have played through in their younger days. They don't need the reps to get up to speed and they have a greater risk of (and need to protect themselves from) aggravating a minor injury.

This is nothing to be concerned about and he may even be told to take off by the coaches. After all this is Camp Cupcake...or is it Marshmallow…I forget.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
JackMagist;2174723 said:
It is not unusual for an established veteran to take a couple of practices off with a minor injury that they would have played through in their younger days. They don't need the reps to get up to speed and they have a greater risk of (and need to protect themselves from) aggravating a minor injury.

This is nothing to be concerned about and he may even be told to take off by the coaches. After all this is Camp Cupcake...or is it Marshmallow…I forget.

as much as i dog on ellis, i'd have to agree this is pretty standard. this is why i don't think r. williams gophered a pooch when he went on a family reunion so long ago. does anyone NOT hating on roy really believe he'd be better today with those walk throughs vets don't normally do much in anyway?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
August 4, 2008
Marriott could be hurting Ellis

1:38 PM Mon, Aug 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

After sitting out of team drills the last five practices, linebacker Greg Ellis got back in the mix today during the morning workout. Ellis said back spasms have been giving him fits the last few days. But now he's feeling better.

Going through practices wearing only shorts and shirts - not to mention going half-speed in 11-on-11 drills - doesn't hurt, either.

"According to the chiropractor, he said it's in a stage where it should start to get better," Ellis said. "It does feel better. He said it's OK to go out and do more stuff because it shouldn't get worse."

Ellis said he suffered back spasms his rookie year, too. At the time, doctors contributed it to the bed. That could be the problem here in Oxnard. The Residence Inn isn't exactly the Shangri La, so who knows what all's gone on here over the years while the Cowboys are back at Valley Ranch.

Comments (3) Leave comment | E-mail entry

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with vet players getting a day or two here and there off in TC. TC is for the youngsters and rookies to make their mark and show their stuff. 10+ year vets who've gotten the job done don't need to be in on every TC practice.

dest

Reaction score
The bed theory is incredibly plausible, you get a bad mattress, and your back will let you know in a hurry.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aug 4, 2008 8:06 PM
"It's Gotta be the Shoes!"
Posted by CBS11
Forget "It's Gotta be the Shoes!"...In Greg Ellis' Case - It's the Bed!

Remember the classic Air Jordan commercials in which Spike Lee marveled at Michael Jordan's awesomeness by proclaiming "It's Gotta be the Shoes!!!!"? Back in the day, the phrase was the answer to life's problems. You walk too slowly - "It's Gotta be the Shoes!" You had a particularly good workout - "It's Gotta be the Shoes!" You have a bad back - "It's Gotta be the Shoes!" Not so much for Greg Ellis.

He's been MIA in team drills the last couple of practices because he's been suffering from back spasms. In today's morning workout, he returned to the work. Speaking with him after practice he said the cause of the problem was actually the bed in his room here at the Marriott River Ridge (I personally found them quite comfortable). He said a couple of guys found them uncomfortable and that he actually resorted to sleeping on the floor to try and alleviate the pain.

Ellis tried to tough it out before visiting a chiropractor who's been helping him. I joked with the soon to be 33-year-old that his "bad back from the bad bed" was a sign of age. He disagreed and said he had the problem his rookie year.

Maybe he should try yoga? I'm just sayin'.

Gina Miller

Comments ( 0 ) | ​TrackBacks ( 0 ) | ​Email | ​Permalink

Dorsettfan4life

Reaction score
If sitting now preserves his back for when it counts than I am all for it. He knows his body better than anyone.