CFZ Is football getting worse?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?

Brooksey

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?

If you grew up watching football in 80's there was a lot of these types of games...defensive battles (snooze fest)
Denver D-line was impressive.

To your point... after watching last night's game something seems very wrong with Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson, that was ugly.
Even when they didn't have pressure the throws and timing were terrible, hard to watch

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you grew up watching football in 80's there was a lot of these types of games...defensive battles (snooze fest)
Denver D-line was impressive.

To your point... after watching last night's game something seems very wrong with Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson, that was ugly.
Even when they didn't have pressure the throws and timing were terrible, hard to watch

I mean, I enjoy good defence, but I'm not sure that's what last night was. Last night just looked like two QBs who had no idea how to move the ball. It was a disaster of a game, and it really should have been a draw.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I started watching in about 1999 or 2000.

1974 for me. The game is absolutely different now as compared to back then, and what changed were the rules allowing offenses to open up. For example, as good as Aikman was back in the early 90's, imagine how dominant he would be now with the protection provided to QB's. Imagine how dominant a really good receiver from those days would be now knowing the defense was no longer allowed to blow them up for nothing more than just running a route.

It feels overly officiated with poor officiating,

It is overly officiated, but at times also seems to be overly selective. Take the no call PI in the Saints / Rams playoff game. Take Dallas vs. NY 2 weeks ago where nearly nothing was called compared to last week vs. Wash where it seems as though the refs were making up for their no calls the week before. There's is zero consistency.

I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

Want to know what is really missing from the game today? It's the hardnosed style of coaching you used to see from coaches like Vince Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, etc. That style simply doesn't work any more because the players have turned into overly sensitive snowflakes. This was slightly before your time, but I remember Aikman lashing out at Barry Switzer because he was being too soft on the players. Even military boot camp is different now compared to when I went through it in 1985.

What really has changed with the game is the level of passion you get from the players. Salaries back in the 1970's and 80's weren't squat and almost every athlete had to work a normal job in the off season to make ends meet. They played for the love of the game. Now it's all money driven. I would estimate that at least 60% to 70% of the current athletes playing in the NFL today wouldn't be there if the money wasn't so outrageous. Most of them give their best efforts in the beginning to earn a good contract then go on cruise control.

This was a good post from you....

TWOK11

Reaction score
Absolutely not, the worst team in the NFL today would rout the 1989 San Francisco 49ers. The quality and size of the athletes, the quality of their diets/training/workouts, the quality of the coaching, the sophistication of offensive football, the kicking game, everything is just so much more refined. The rules have also changed substantially in the last 50 years which has opened up the game and allowed for more athletes to make more plays in space.

The fact is 13-10 slogfests where neither team could pass well were just much more common in prior eras so they didn’t stand out as “bad” football. The reason you notice them now is precisely because how much better and wide open the game is today.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
1974 for me. The game is absolutely different now as compared to back then, and what changed were the rules allowing offenses to open up. For example, as good as Aikman was back in the early 90's, imagine how dominant he would be now with the protection provided to QB's. Imagine how dominant a really good receiver from those days would be now knowing the defense was no longer allowed to blow them up for nothing more than just running a route.

It is overly officiated, but at times also seems to be overly selective. Take the no call PI in the Saints / Rams playoff game. Take Dallas vs. NY 2 weeks ago where nearly nothing was called compared to last week vs. Wash where it seems as though the refs were making up for their no calls the week before. There's is zero consistency.

Want to know what is really missing from the game today? It's the hardnosed style of coaching you used to see from coaches like Vince Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, etc. That style simply doesn't work any more because the players have turned into overly sensitive snowflakes. This was slightly before your time, but I remember Aikman lashing out at Barry Switzer because he was being too soft on the players. Even military boot camp is different now compared to when I went through it in 1985.

What really has changed with the game is the level of passion you get from the players. Salaries back in the 1970's and 80's weren't squat and almost every athlete had to work a normal job in the off season to make ends meet. They played for the love of the game. Now it's all money driven. I would estimate that at least 60% to 70% of the current athletes playing in the NFL today wouldn't be there if the money wasn't so outrageous. Most of them give their best efforts in the beginning to earn a good contract then go on cruise control.

This was a good post from you....

I can see that with the coaching. I think the hard-nosed days seem to be gone, and it seems that the players quality is down. At least compared to what I remember from 10-15 years ago.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Absolutely not, the worst team in the NFL today would rout the 1989 San Francisco 49ers. The quality and size of the athletes, the quality of their diets/training/workouts, the quality of the coaching, the sophistication of offensive football, the kicking game, everything is just so much more refined. The rules have also changed substantially in the last 50 years which has opened up the game and allowed for more athletes to make more plays in space.

The fact is 13-10 slogfests where neither team could pass well were just much more common in prior eras so they didn’t stand out as “bad” football. The reason you notice them now is precisely because how much better and wide open the game is today.

I like a good defencive struggle. That's not what last night was. Last night was just ineptitude from the QBs. At least in my view, and, even before that, a lot of games have the appearance of looking worse than they did to me about 10-15 years ago.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is for the better ... when we win, for the worse .. when we lose...:D

I really don't know, as rules and players and ideas change. Nutrition and sports medicine all are factors.
20 years ago, heck even 10 years ago, players like Gallup and Goodwin would be out a year or more. Some would never be the same. That would take away the quality on the field. Instead both teams got them back in 9 months.

Now the game has became worse with some of the stupid rules and what is an actual catch. Tapping the QB on side of his helmet is now a penalty, depending who the QB is.
Officiating has become worse, but actually how much worse. They didn't have 50 cameras covering the games up until the 2000 or so. They had more in the 90, and instant replays were better.

Back in the 70's and 80's, most games had 6 cameras to cover the game, and if a national game, you got 8 cameras. Plus a few roaming cameras. Therefore you really could not tell what happened half the time. Just think if they had all these high def cameras on the "immaculate reception" with Oakland and Pittsburgh.
They did not or could not replay every single thing that happened.

I just enjoy the games in spite of all the flaws.

Also blame it in part of the NFLPA and all the cupcake camps now. A team could have 2 a day practices in pads if they wanted to. Now we get what 12 padded practices only.

I do know I enjoy it a lot more today than years ago, because we have options to see about every game you want to see. Even for college games.
It is also basically 24 / 7 / 365. Even in the off seasons slowest times there is football news and talk.
Even back in the 90's, before the internet really took off, and even then, it was still hard to find off season news. Not until the NFLN started. I remember their off season shows said, they would give some type of info on every team during their daily shows. Which of course now they got away from that somewhat.

As for on the field, it is what it is, you either accept it or don't.
With what MM said yesterday, I think he is trying to bring back hat hard nose football in some way, at least to playing with an attitude.

We are not anybody underdog, or however he said it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Last nights game was terrible. 2 bad teams. And I can’t believe wilson stole that money from the broncos. He did the same thing he did in the sb. He has legs and a rb but with the game on the line on the goal line he throws a pick instead of running himself or handing off. It’s cost him a sb ring. Dak would have QB sneak or handed to Elliot. Would love to know who called that play or if wilson decided to do that.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't think it's gotten worse. I think its stagnant.

From a pure entertainment perspective, the broadcasts, the jerseys, the storylines--its the same thing, over and over and over. There's rarely anything new or interesting. Only reason I ever watch is cause I follow a team.

I'm a firm believer that NFL teams should have new kits every year like other sports. That's something, at least. I think they also need new announcers; not just different people, but different types of announcers. I get that this thread was about quality of play, but I also think the entertainment factor has fallen

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Late in the game they tried to play it off, as both teams defense were pretty good, hence, the lack of offense.

But all I seen was some pretty bad thrown passes from both QB's. Not just bad passes, but poor decisions as well.
It wasn't until the last 4 minutes when Ryan finally got some protection and the moved the ball.

I said throughout he game if his OL could block and give him an extra second to throw, Indy would have had a few TD's.

Both QB's looked to be on their last legs. But heck, they probably play their next game like they are 25 again.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I have a tough time watching any game that has no bearing whatsoever on Dallas’ place in the standings.

As far as Hackett, I did happen to see the end of their game at Seattle. If he getting worse, wow…but hey, we have our own problems!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think you're anchored an a terrible game, and September is often sloppy anyway. I think the product of the NFL is still excellent. There are often awesome games.

shabazz

Reaction score
Undoubtedly worse. The NFL has gone out of its way to sissify and dilute a great product. Anybody that has witnessed a Raiders team coached by Madden knows how far this league has deteriorated since then.

The NFL officiating and rule changes have done the most harm. The tempo and natural fluidity of the game is forever lost. They have all but eliminated kickoff returns because of the lawyers having their hands in Goodells backside so within a few years we’ll see the elimination of that as well.

But the biggest difference I see is the visceral toughness of the players….they are beyond soft compared to their predecessors. If you’ve never seen Conrad Dobler, Randy White,, Jack Lambert,or Jack Tatum, then there’s no point of reference.

I have no problems with the current concussion protocols but the BS that they sometimes flag for targeting is a joke.

Maybe one day the Pro Bowl will be flag football…….nah, that would never happen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn’t necessarily saying it’s getting worse . And I’ve been watching for over 60 years.

I’d say the game is evolving based on rule changes , the type of athletes and in the NFL the Salary Cap has impacted not only the depth on rosters but the strategies and schemes .

It’s much more difficult to afford an abundance of offensive talent especially with so much of the Cap invested in the QB.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
No, not worse just more modernized.

1. More Protocall to injuries in the present and post Opp. Example: Ronnie Lott had his little finger amputated to continue a game. Those days are gone.

2. Players exchanging jerseys after a game shows respect. I get it but, back in the day that would not have happened. "Mean Joe Green" once sent a funeral bouquet of flowers to a locker room.

3.Times were different. That paycheck meant financial freedom. It was like going to war.

I agree with all the medical advancements but, the game will never be the same.

I saw Joe Jacoby get his front tooth knocked out and blood running down his face and he went back in the game.

Call it good young buck, call it good.