Is it time to stop assisting the running back from behind?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was a lad I played defensive tackle. I had to fight off a guard, sometimes a double team, and then stop running back.

I can't imagine doing that today and then having 600 pounds of beef running me over. Offenses are actually designing plays with guys right behind ready to push.
It's not fair to the defense if they bundle up people on the other side, a fast quarterback or running back is going to run around the end for a huge gain.
Defenses are forced to cover the whole field, offenses know where the play is going.
It's not Rugby, it was cute for a while, however, it's time the league stops it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There is so much I detest about the "modern" NFL, and what you mentioned is one of them. I guess it just shows this really is a kid's game, we used to do that in football during recess in junior high. It's just silly.
And there are others, to wit:

The players sticking the ball out when at the goal line, or on the sideline, or over the pile to get a first down, touchdown or such. Be a man and get your body over the line! Yes, I know the goal is to move the ball, but again, it's just silly.

When a team has a third down and they obviously don't make the line of gain, all the defensive players holding up a fist and waving it around to show it's a fourth down. Hey stupid, we have eyes, don't need you to tell us it's a fourth down, besides we have officials to do that and it's not up to you anyway, you can raise your fist all you want, if the refs say first down, it's a first down. It's especially dumb when it's not a fourth down and you called it one.

When a receiver drops a wide-open pass, or a running back or other player fumbles the ball, or a returner fails to make a catch, with the defense having had nothing to do with it except be standing nearby, quit with the jumping around, high fiving, etc. You didn't do ANYTHING to cause it, don't act like you did something great.

Finally, all the finger pointing when a player jumps offside, or moves in a false start. It's not your job to make the call, and much of the time you're wrong anyway, like a defensive player pointing at an offensive player when one of your teammates was lined up offsides, etc. Just because you point your finger at a guard or defensive end doesn't make the official call it, besides, the ref has to put his whistle in his mouth or pull out his flag, they saw it, all you have to do is point which takes less time.

Sometimes I wonder why I still watch the NFL....

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
You can push but not pull if I am not mistaken. It makes a half yard qb sneak almost impossible to stop.

EST_1986

Reaction score
There is so much I detest about the "modern" NFL, and what you mentioned is one of them. I guess it just shows this really is a kid's game, we used to do that in football during recess in junior high. It's just silly.
And there are others, to wit:

The players sticking the ball out when at the goal line, or on the sideline, or over the pile to get a first down, touchdown or such. Be a man and get your body over the line! Yes, I know the goal is to move the ball, but again, it's just silly.

When a team has a third down and they obviously don't make the line of gain, all the defensive players holding up a fist and waving it around to show it's a fourth down. Hey stupid, we have eyes, don't need you to tell us it's a fourth down, besides we have officials to do that and it's not up to you anyway, you can raise your fist all you want, if the refs say first down, it's a first down. It's especially dumb when it's not a fourth down and you called it one.

When a receiver drops a wide-open pass, or a running back or other player fumbles the ball, or a returner fails to make a catch, with the defense having had nothing to do with it except be standing nearby, quit with the jumping around, high fiving, etc. You didn't do ANYTHING to cause it, don't act like you did something great.

Finally, all the finger pointing when a player jumps offside, or moves in a false start. It's not your job to make the call, and much of the time you're wrong anyway, like a defensive player pointing at an offensive player when one of your teammates was lined up offsides, etc. Just because you point your finger at a guard or defensive end doesn't make the official call it, besides, the ref has to put his whistle in his mouth or pull out his flag, they saw it, all you have to do is point which takes less time.

Sometimes I wonder why I still watch the NFL....
Good god you are grumpy in the elderly stages of life

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Think about this for a sec. Kickers now can't use certain kicking spot devices as it gains an advantage, but you can push a runner?

That's not cheating at all....:laugh: