Is the NFL rigged?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is for fun, but what a coincidence on this upcoming Super Bowl logo's colors...

Coincidence or something else? :huh:

(Click the speaker logo in video to hear volume)

What say you?
:popcorn:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This is for fun, but what a coincidence on this upcoming Super Bowl logo's colors...

Coincidence or something else? :huh:

(Click the speaker logo in video to hear volume)

What say you?
:popcorn:

The NFL being rigged means Dak Prescott is a phony paid actor and the season he is having is a bunch of BS. Do you believe that’s true?

Never understood these narratives when you really consider what it implies. The NFL would lose far more money by fixing games than they’d make by sports betting because it’d be virtually impossible to keep it a secret for this many decades when the league employs 10’s of thousands of people.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The NFL being rigged means Dak Prescott is a phony paid actor and the season he is having is a bunch of BS. Do you believe that’s true?

Never understood these narratives when you really consider what it implies. The NFL would lose far more money by fixing games than they’d make by sports betting because it’d be virtually impossible to keep it a secret for this many decades when the league employs 10’s of thousands of people.
This thread was made in jest, but are you saying the referees are not biased with their calls?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
"favoring" and "biased towards" mean the same thing... :p

"To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else."

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/eb/qa/Biased-Towards-Biased-Against#:~:text=To be biased towards something,to mean they favor something.
Yes, but you asked in broad context if they’re biased, and I don’t believe they’re broadly biased. They have specific tendencies in circumstantial calls, but in general are neutral to the outcome

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, but you asked in broad context if they’re biased, and I don’t believe they’re broadly biased. They have specific tendencies in circumstantial calls, but in general are neutral to the outcome
I don't necessarily agree. I wish it were true, but too much "favoring" every year makes me believe otherwise nowadays.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree. I wish it were true, but too much "favoring" every year makes me believe otherwise nowadays.
I have a friend who is deep in conspiracy theories. So much so that he is willing to entertain any conspiracy theory, no matter how absurd it sounds, until he can watch enough YouTube videos, read enough online manifestos, and decide how deep he wants to go with its “new science.”

He also has a major contradiction that I have noticed with others when it comes to sports. He is a major football and Basketball fan, and watches them religiously. However, when his teams lose, he goes on diatribes about how the whole thing is WWE, down to the socks the players where with electrical zapping devices that send them Morse code directions on how they should drop the football during their route they’re running. Any dispute of this always leads to a Godwin’s Law variant: Tim Donaghy, a NBA ref who admitted to attempting to influence games. But what isn’t mentioned is that the NBA caught, outted, and sent Donaghy to prison; something that has tarnished the NBA’s reputation for decades. They used him as a martyr to show what would happen if other refs tried the same. If it were widespread and accepted by the league, how were they able to catch the one guy and no one since has been investigated in such a manner?

Yet, by kickoff the next game, he has completely forgotten all about that and is completely invested once again. Because of this Yoyo’ing, a number of years ago I started having serious conversations with anyone I met who felt this way. These are my incomplete conclusions thus far:

Do you believe Dallas Cowboys fans in the early to mid 90’s believed the game was rigged and the rings they won were as valuable as ring pops? Of course not. The league would have also been far easier to rig back then pre-social media, pre-15 angles of every call, pre-internet. The people who recite these views the strongest are Browns fans, Chargers fans, Lions fans, Clippers fans, Thunder fans, Magic fans… my friend the Vikings fan, the Timberwolves fan.

I believe it is a subconscious trauma response to avoid the far more likely reality: the team that they love and have devoted so much of their life to… sucks. Continued ineptitude has scarred them and they can’t accept it. It would be a rare day to find a Chiefs fan who thought the league was rigged, but I bet a lot of them thought so 10 years ago. And 10 years ago you’d probably be more likely to find an albino alligator than a Patriots fan who believed their rings didn’t really count… but those fans will start popping up if their current losing trend continues.

Sometimes calls trend in the same direction that lead to questioning things. But like most conspiracy theories, reality is likely much more boring and obvious.

DLd2PC7VAAA3Sab.jpg

It is far more financially beneficial for the nfl to keep it chaotic; that leads to much more interest, engagement, and longterm sustainability. Unlike a tv show where everyone is rooting for one side, rigging games would only turn half your paying customers away/

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have a friend who is deep in conspiracy theories. So much so that he is willing to entertain any conspiracy theory, no matter how absurd it sounds, until he can watch enough YouTube videos, read enough online manifestos, and decide how deep he wants to go with its “new science.”

He also has a major contradiction that I have noticed with others when it comes to sports. He is a major football and Basketball fan, and watches them religiously. However, when his teams lose, he goes on diatribes about how the whole thing is WWE, down to the socks the players where with electrical zapping devices that send them Morse code directions on how they should drop the football during their route they’re running. Any dispute of this always leads to a Godwin’s Law variant: Tim Donaghy, a NBA ref who admitted to attempting to influence games. But what isn’t mentioned is that the NBA caught, outted, and sent Donaghy to prison; something that has tarnished the NBA’s reputation for decades. They used him as a martyr to show what would happen if other refs tried the same. If it were widespread and accepted by the league, how were they able to catch the one guy and no one since has been investigated in such a manner?

Yet, by kickoff the next game, he has completely forgotten all about that and is completely invested once again. Because of this Yoyo’ing, a number of years ago I started having serious conversations with anyone I met who felt this way. These are my incomplete conclusions thus far:

Do you believe Dallas Cowboys fans in the early to mid 90’s believed the game was rigged and the rings they won were as valuable as ring pops? Of course not. The league would have also been far easier to rig back then pre-social media, pre-15 angles of every call, pre-internet. The people who recite these views the strongest are Browns fans, Chargers fans, Lions fans, Clippers fans, Thunder fans, Magic fans… my friend the Vikings fan, the Timberwolves fan.

I believe it is a subconscious trauma response to avoid the far more likely reality: the team that they love and have devoted so much of their life to… sucks. Continued ineptitude has scarred them and they can’t accept it. It would be a rare day to find a Chiefs fan who thought the league was rigged, but I bet a lot of them thought so 10 years ago. And 10 years ago you’d probably be more likely to find an albino alligator than a Patriots fan who believed their rings didn’t really count… but those fans will start popping up if their current losing trend continues.

Sometimes calls trend in the same direction that lead to questioning things. But like most conspiracy theories, reality is likely much more boring and obvious.

DLd2PC7VAAA3Sab.jpg

It is far more financially beneficial for the nfl to keep it chaotic; that leads to much more interest, engagement, and longterm sustainability. Unlike a tv show where everyone is rooting for one side, rigging games would only turn half your paying customers away/
I don't care for conspiracy theories. I go off of evidence. It's become quite evident for many years how referees "favor" certain players and teams.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not biased against or for specific franchises, but it is likely they trend toward favoring home teams and QBs (like the NBA, don’t get too close to Jordan or it’s a foul) when making judgement calls
Agree. It’s also each official is biased regarding certain infractions like defensive illegal contact or defensive holding. It’s just like MLB umpires are biased in how the enforce the strike zone.

One official may call it very tight, another not so. What happens is the officiating affects teams different based on their style of play. DBs that play tight, physical coverage will get flagged more by the official that has the propensity to call contact than one that doesn’t. The players and teams have to adjust if that’s the case.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This thread was made in jest, but are you saying the referees are not biased with their calls?
I think they are biased, but not in the way most conspiracy theorist want to make them. I think they are biased in the fact that they watch teams prior games so they are already looking for repeat offenders. Connor Williams got called so many times his last year in Dallas and a lot of it justified, but so many of those calls were also fringe calls but refs were quick to call the penalty because he developed a reputation. I think they are biased in the moment making certain calls for home teams, or the late hit out of bounds type of calls when on the side line of the player getting hit, etc. I don't think they are biased in rooting for a team (At least not as a regular thing) or games are fixed.

I think the bigger issue with the refs is simply that they are not nearly as good as they used to be. Not a knock on the officials, but we see week after week that with technology and data we have on hand now teams are literally developing techniques to push the rules to the limit. The Lane Johnson move is a perfect example of someone who is pushing the rules to the limit but knows exactly how far he can push it without getting a flag. Some teams are much better than others, but teams are clearly coaching players on techniques to push the rules to the limit.

The other issue is that I see is just how complex the rule book has gotten. Not sure how you combat that unless you just go back to 90s style football.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Whenever large amounts of money are involved, people are going to attempt to manipulate in their favor. If you've watched for a long time, you have seen a lot of coincidences where outcome on the field lined up nicely with best financial scenario for the league.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Whenever large amounts of money are involved, people are going to attempt to manipulate in their favor. If you've watched for a long time, you have seen a lot of coincidences where outcome on the field lined up nicely with best financial scenario for the league.
Best financial scenario for the league is confirmation bias at best. Dallas not making a NFCCG in 30 years is the worst financial scenario for the league. NYG being bad/mediocre for all but 4-5 of the last 20 seasons is the worst financial scenario for the league.

LA, Houston, Chicago, NY, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami are their biggest money making cities. Yet Pittsburgh, Seattle, GB, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Denver, Kansas City are winning most of the rings.

the best financial scenario for the league is not rigging games. That makes them way more money than rigging would ever do; that’s the part people don’t understand. In WWE everyone is rooting for The Rock to be Dave Bautista. In the NFL only half of their paying customers want Team A to win. Rigging it against team B will only be alienating 50% of your target market

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Best financial scenario for the league is confirmation bias at best. Dallas not making a NFCCG in 30 years is the worst financial scenario for the league. NYG being bad/mediocre for all but 4-5 of the last 20 seasons is the worst financial scenario for the league.

LA, Houston, Chicago, NY, Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami are their biggest money making cities. Yet Pittsburgh, Seattle, GB, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Denver, Kansas City are winning most of the rings.

the best financial scenario for the league is not rigging games. That makes them way more money than rigging would ever do; that’s the part people don’t understand. In WWE everyone is rooting for The Rock to be Dave Bautista. In the NFL only half of their paying customers want Team A to win. Rigging it against team B will only be alienating 50% of your target market
That's what most thought. But it hasn't turned out that way. Keeping all the fan bases engaged has made the league even bigger than it was 30 years ago. I'm not saying predetermined, but haven't you seen games determining who gets into or advances that maybe have some questionable calls that send the better market matchups?