CFZ Is There a Threshold for McCarthy to be Benched as OC Mid-Game?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yes,

I'm asking a question, but I may also possibly suggesting McCarthy set a limit for himself, and bench himself, if we're in the 2nd half and down by 3 scores. Or I'm suggesting that the team work as a group, and have a system to hold even the HC responsible, since he's juggling OC duties, and you can't rely on individuals to self monitor.

The Standard.

McCarthy was talking about the standard for the team at the start of the season.

But I'm talking about a standard for a mid-game switch when there's still enough time left. I'm not talking about a big, dramatic ordeal that gets leaked out to the media. But you can subtly hand play-calling duties over if you can't get anything going. If you're getting handled, the best thing you can do is have a backup plan. It's usually the team with the best gunslinger, but it's also often times the team with the best fallback plan, that usually has the most come-from-behind wins.

I'm not trying to bellyache about this team. I'm talking about McCarthy's own words before the season. What do those words really mean? If we're talking about "The Standard," aren't we also applying that to McCarthy on a level more than just words? If we are applying it, then it would become policy and also part of implementing a new "The Standard."

Otherwise, you're telling our players to set their standard to the highest, but games can also come down to who has the highest standard at Xs and Os. Let's not pretend these games are always won by the best athletes. Sometimes, the better coached team wins, by outwitting the other team on the field, and just executing on their end. It happens. That's why it truly is Any Given Sunday in this league.

There's no need to continue captaining the Titanic after you hit the iceberg: you had one job, and you blew it.

Another captain would maybe have the guts to actually save the passengers. Or another captain may have had a more organized approach with the lifeboats. Unlikely, with so much panic, but there could have been a different outcome if another captain steered the ship the other way. Sometimes, a team has your number. Like I think the 9ers have McCarthy's number.

One thing I dislike about McCarthy: he's not great at engineering comebacks.

Since McCarthy has gotten here, he really hasn't been able to engineer games to put Dak in a position to mount a comeback. The game against the Chargers, who I think are an underrated team, when all is said and done, if you look at them on paper, and their film is pretty good where I can see them getting hot down the stretch even.

Great game by Dak in LA. I just feel for him. I see he's a good player. You can blame the 49ers game on him. But the fact is it's difficult for anyone to have success at QB when the Cowboys come out and very predictably do the same thing they do every game. I feel like McCarthy thinks he's hiding the playoff playbook. But if your scheme is good, it shouldn't matter what they see on tape.

I would personally be open to having Dak calling plays. But this has always been one of my biggest gripes with McCarthy. Because Moore had the ability to perform well in this area, but McCarthy never developed any knowledge of what Moore was doing, and therefore, had no input on what plays to call. So, there was some obvious tension there from the beginning, and it didn't have to be like that. There should have been some interaction there, because two people working towards the same goal are 9 times out of 10 better than one, although there are always examples of overachievers, and that's what I believe Moore has the potential to be, at times.

My point is, at the beginning of the season, due to poor annunciating, I couldn't quite understand most of what McCarthy was saying to the team. But it seemed to be his team theme of that opening speech was about a "standard," which, as great as some of our players are, comes down to how you carry yourself and even more about holding yourself accountable. So, what is the threshold to set egos aside and do what's best for the team to get the win?

At what threshold or situation, if any, should McCarthy be willing to hand over the play-calls to someone else like Dak and/or Shottenheimer?

The Standard to me means planning for the worst and holding even the HC accountable. That's a higher standard.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There's no point in changing playcallers because Schottenheimer is going to do the same thing.

There is a ton of value in utilizing more no-huddle, tempo that gives Dak a lot more control though. Coaches across the league are always just scared to do that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy will call plays the entire season no matter how bad it goes. The organization (Jerry) isn’t about to admit it was a mistake this quick.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There's no point in changing playcallers because Schottenheimer is going to do the same thing.

There is a ton of value in utilizing more no-huddle, tempo that gives Dak a lot more control though. Coaches across the league are always just scared to do that.
I disagree. I think you can even hand them to Dak or Cooper Rush.. or all three.. We have a guy who's very similar to Moore in actual offensive scheme abilities. Cooper Rush is much like Moore, in my mind, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back around in an OC capacity.

Gambit

Reaction score
It's a new system with an OL who haven't played together in near 2 years.

It's going to take some time to get, we should be looking at weekly improvement with peaking in Dec and January.

A new OC isn't going to help with pre snap penalties either.

Let's enjoy the ride that this season will be.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I will say this, the playcalling against the Chargers was a lot better. Attacked the middle of the field more and used CeeDee Lamb out of the slot.

If not for penalties it would have probably been another 30-plus point game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's a new system with an OL who haven't played together in near 2 years.

It's going to take some time to get, we should be looking at weekly improvement with peaking in Dec and January.

A new OC isn't going to help with pre snap penalties either.

Let's enjoy the ride that this season will be.
I'm always going to enjoy it.

I'm not saying I don't support McCarthy. I do. I want him to succeed. I think he can. But he has to get this offense up to speed. I'm certain it's not playing to its potential. We have more explosive players than most teams on offense, and just can't seem to get it going: which, in my mind, will be make Moore's firing relatively unforgiveable, especially in the context of additional factors.

In fact, bringing Moore back for yet another year with a few more tweaks would have been great for the team. In my mind, McCarthy didn't need to take over as much as he needed to develop a better communicative relationship with Moore.. that was his job. He just choose to focus on and distract attention towards other issues and aspects of the team and scheme. McCarthy saw Moore having success with this personnel and wanted to add to his resume, legacy, future paycheck by riding the wake of Kellen's wave.

Moore's offense was actually the best back-to-back seasons in terms of production in team history....

That was the truth, their disdain of the loss to the 9ers pushed the front office to scapegoat Moore. But I blame that as much on McCarthy for not having a plan or an answer to intervene.

Jimmy Johnson always had a plan, always stuck to his scheme, and if he saw it getting off-track, he corrected it, or attempted to, during the game, as it was being played. More importantly, he always had a back up plan.

You don't see that with McCarthy.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After dismissing Kellen in the offseason there isn't anything that would force McCarthy to give up play calling in midseason.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny after the first two games of the season everyone loved McCarthy as the play caller. I said give it time, it won’t be long before fans are dumping on him as the play caller. Lol Some fans have become so put off with McCarthy and this new offense they’re wishing Kellen Moore was still here. :laugh:

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm always going to enjoy it.

I'm not saying I don't support McCarthy. I do. I want him to succeed. I think he can. But he has to get this offense up to speed. I'm certain it's not playing to its potential. We have more explosive players than most teams on offense, and just can't seem to get it going: which, in my mind, will be make Moore's firing relatively unforgiveable, especially in the context of additional factors.

In fact, bringing Moore back for yet another year with a few more tweaks would have been great for the team. In my mind, McCarthy didn't need to take over as much as he needed to develop a better communicative relationship with Moore.. that was his job. He just choose to focus on and distract attention towards other issues and aspects of the team and scheme.

Moore's offense was actually the best back-to-back seasons in terms of production in team history....
Didn't Kellen want out too? Seems I recall that, once Chargers job opened up he was a lock for that position.

Interesting in trolling the nation many of their fans were complaining about Moore's offense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Didn't Kellen want out too? Seems I recall that, once Chargers job opened up he was a lock for that position.

Interesting in trolling the nation many of their fans were complaining about Moore's offense.
He wanted out when the Cowboys were going to make changes to his role as OC. I believe they didn’t want him calling plays.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I will say this, the playcalling against the Chargers was a lot better. Attacked the middle of the field more and used CeeDee Lamb out of the slot.

If not for penalties it would have probably been another 30-plus point game.
Oh, I agree. I liked the adjustments implemented during that week. I want to see them work on that with a silent count...The only reason they were able to get away with it in LA was because there were more Cowboys' fans than Chargers fans due to the relatively new location, and amount of time to establish fanbase in a highly competitive, new market. Or less noise than a typical away game...

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Right. Like I said, there seemed to be some tension there. And no working relationship. A power struggle, if you will....

Fans? You mean the vast amount of uninformed fans who think players are human joysticks, and just do what you want at a twitch of your thumb. Like I was saying, actual reality is . . . those were the most successful back-to-back years, offensively speaking, in team history.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I like to see more Dak on the move rather then drop back , he seems alot more dangerous and that TD run in LA was a thing of beauty even if he almost fumbled it . At some point the players have to execute .

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Funny after the first two games of the season everyone loved McCarthy as the play caller. I said give it time, it won’t be long before fans are dumping on him as the play caller. Lol Some fans have become so put off with McCarthy and this new offense they’re wishing Kellen Moore was still here. :laugh:
Not I. I was talking about the lackluster offense and poor execution and I was told to "stand down" and be a real fan, and enjoy the 70-10 margin of victory of the 1st two games. I was told that McCarthy was purposely holding back on calling his BEST plays because the offense didn't need to produce a lot of points. Thus, the offense after 2 games was purposely simply, because, well, why pull out "the good stuff" when the defense was dominating?

:facepalm:

I said, OK, we'll see what happens when the offense actually NEEDS to produce points.

And here we are.

:laugh:

But I was NEVER going to miss Kellen Moore either, because I never really trusted his game prep and play designs against the better teams, as his plays were also predictable, and the Cowboys often had lethargic starts to games (lots of run, run, pass and little play action in the 1st half, as if no one watched any film and figured out how to exploit the defense's weakness).

Hopefully this McCarthy experiment will be a 1-year deal and the Cowboys will go find a younger, more creative OC that can help maximize this offense's strengths. Until then, the defense and special teams will need to carry this team...all, season, long.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
After dismissing Kellen in the offseason there isn't anything that would force McCarthy to give up play calling in midseason.
I believe that's a mistake, and, ironically, could very easily, and, foreseeably, potentially be the final nail for McCarthy.

You can have the ego at the top, if the next one in the chain of command can set his aside when it benefits the team. That's what Johnson was a master at. I would even like to see him come back, in some form or fashion.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I like to see more Dak on the move rather then drop back , he seems alot more dangerous and that TD run in LA was a thing of beauty even if he almost fumbled it . At some point the players have to execute .
They should run some plays on the move. But they always tip their hand pre-snap. If it's not obvious by their personnel, it's obvious with their formations and lack of creativity there.